Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Autopilot and route manager

SIDs and STARs in FlightGear  Topic is solved

Designing a stable autopilot is one of the hardest things. Need help?

SIDs and STARs in FlightGear

Postby hladas94 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:55 pm

Hi,
simple question - how can I add SIDs and STARs to FlightGear? Is it even possible?

If it is, where can I download the AIRAC or how can I convert it for FlightGear?

Thanks,
Jimmy
hladas94

Callsign: hladas94
Version: 220

Re: SIDs and STARs in FlightGear

Postby Tuxklok » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:17 pm

I assume you mean how to add them to the route manager? This is not something currently supported by the route manager, but is something being worked towards I believe. For now you'll need to download and read the SID/STAR charts and add the way points to the route manager yourself. Charts are available from many places online, such as airnav, skyvector, flightaware for USA...and can get high quality up to date European charts over at eurocontrol website but you'll need to register for free first. The route manager can save and load way points from a file as well, so you can save those SID/STAR way points and reload them later for convenience.

If your interested in an aircraft that has a more realistic FMS/FMC actually capable of loading and using SID/STAR have a look at the A380. It is the only FGFS aircraft I know of that has one currently.

cheers!
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Postby Gijs » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:43 pm

As of Git/2.2.0 the route manager will support SIDs and STARs. You can download the files from http://www.navdata.at, then save it under Scenery/Airports/I/C/A/ICAO.procedures.xml (use the correct ICAO codes!). Next time you can load them through the route manager interface.

But, as said. This does NOT work with FG 2.0 or older AFAIK.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby HHS » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:11 pm

Don't work for me here with latest GIT....
Up, up and away
HHS

Version: GIT

Postby hladas94 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:19 pm

Got it!

It took me a quite longer while to find the xml files... But finally got it working!

Thanks a lot!

Just pick out the state you want, here is the link: http://www.navdata.at/php/sidstar/dl_states.php?addon=LDS767&state=United%20States
hladas94

Callsign: hladas94
Version: 220

Postby redneck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:32 pm

If we can use SIDs and STARs formatted for the Level-D 767, does that mean we can use entire flight plans downloaded off of www.simroutes.com for the Level-D 767 as well?
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby HHS » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:32 pm

Indeed- the files for the Level767 works! :D
Up, up and away
HHS

Postby redneck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:37 pm

Oh sweet! I better create a folder just for routes, instead of dropping everything in FGROOT.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Postby Sealbhach » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:44 pm

Gijs wrote in Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:43 pm:, then save it under Scenery/Airports/I/C/A/ICAO.procedures.xml (use the correct ICAO codes!). .

So for EDDF that would be

Scenery/Airports/E/D/D/EDDF.procedures.xml

is that right?

Sealbhach

Postby redneck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:46 pm

Actually, it seems the plans on simroutes, even though they are also for the Level-D 767, do NOT work with FG. Oh well. So much for laziness. But I'll try out those SIDs and STARs.

Hmm, seems I'm missing some folders for the airports. Maybe I need to move up to one of the newer developer snapshots.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby HHS » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:51 pm

Sealbhach wrote in Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:44 pm:
Gijs wrote in Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:43 pm:, then save it under Scenery/Airports/I/C/A/ICAO.procedures.xml (use the correct ICAO codes!). .

So for EDDF that would be

Scenery/Airports/E/D/D/EDDF.procedures.xml

is that right?

Correct!
Up, up and away
HHS

Postby HHS » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:52 pm

@edneck: SID/STAR's are working, simroutes I never tried.

Now the aircraft developer needs to make use of the speeds given in SID/STAR as well!
Up, up and away
HHS

Postby zakalawe » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:01 pm

Just noticed this thread, apologies. The XML loading code currently supports only the level-D 767 format, and all my test files were taken from the free-to-use navdata.at site - I didn't know about simroutes. If the simroutes files don't work, it's probably quite easy to fix (in C++) - unless there is something 'else' going on (I had some problems with our XML code not supporting certain XML character encodings, with some of the files from navdata.at use, for example). Can someone point me at some example Level-D files that don't work, and I'll see what's going on?

If you have a good, free, source of digital procedure data, in a documented format, then writing a loader is pretty easy - I only picked the Level-D 767 format because it was the clearest of those on navdata.at, and I wanted to get something working quickly! There's no problem to support multiple formats, just takes more time and coding.
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby redneck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:44 pm

Well, for one thing, the routes are formatted in like a CSV format rather than XML. That's the problem I'm seeing. I'm sure if we had something that could read a route file, determine its format, and then rewrite it into the correct XML format, we'd be all set.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby Tuxklok » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:24 pm

zakalawe wrote in Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:01 pm:If you have a good, free, source of digital procedure data, in a documented format, then writing a loader is pretty easy - I only picked the Level-D 767 format because it was the clearest of those on navdata.at, and I wanted to get something working quickly! There's no problem to support multiple formats, just takes more time and coding.

Would almost certainly be better to focus on one format and make that the standard for fgfs, rather than chasing after multiple formats and trying to keep them all in sync and functionally equivalent. Whether that be Level-D, some other existing format, or something we created just for fgfs doesn't really matter I guess...as long as there are no copyright or license issues involved with using it and/or distributing the files.

cheers!
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Next

Return to Autopilot and route manager