Board index FlightGear Support Compiling

Help with building FlightGear (for the first time)

Building FlightGear from source, and in the need for help?

Help with building FlightGear (for the first time)

Postby fypstud » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:07 am

Hi everyone!!

I've posted another thread but was advised to start a new one to focus just on my building problems. Just to answer some standard questions:

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running? I am running Mac OS X 10.5.8
- what FlightGear version do you use? Installed FlightGear Mac OS X Version 2.0.0
- what graphics card do you have? NVIDIA GeForce GT 120

I was following instructions found here: http://macflightgear.sourceforge.net/ho ... -unix-way/

and got all these problems

Installed Git 1.7.2.3 and cmake 2.8.2 before I ran the download.sh and patch.sh, everything went well till I had to run build.sh and got these error messages

Building OpenSceneGraph ver. 2.9.8...
~/Desktop/trunk/OpenSceneGraph ~/Desktop/trunk
Building OSG frameworks using cmake...
Error: OSG is capable of building frameworks, but you don't have cmake installed. Please install cmake first!
~/Desktop/trunk/SimGear/SimGear ~/Desktop/trunk
Host info: Darwin i386
-n automake: 1.10
(110)

Continued for a while more before this appeared

You *must* have the OpenThreads library installed on your system
to build this version of SimGear!
Maybe you need to specify --with-osg=DIR.
Maybe you need to specify some LDFLAGS to help the linker.

LIBS: ''
LDFLAGS: ''
CPPFLAGS: ' -I/Users/deborah/Desktop/trunk/boost_1_41_0/include -F/Library/Frameworks -F/Users/deborah/Desktop/trunk/build/OpenSceneGraph'

I have then made a symbolic link to point to the cmake in the application in /usr/bin then allowed it to continue running. Thing is, it completed but I'm not sure if it was a successful one.

Any suggestions as to what I should to confirm if I had a successful first build? Maybe re-build the whole thing again?? :shock:

Sorry if this post is a bit lengthy...I am quite slow in my progress and would really appreciate some help (be as layman as possible coz I am still pretty amateurish in Flight Gear or anything relating Mac OS X)

Thanks everyone!!
fypstud

Re: Help with building FlightGear (for the first time)

Postby Hooray » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:29 am

can you post the complete directory structure?
I am not familiar with the build scripts that you used, so it would be helpful to see where everything ended up being placed.
Normally, you should probably have a bunch of source code folders (osg, simgear, plib, openal, flightgear) and another set of directories for building everything.

If the fgfs build succeeded, you should have a "src/Main/fgfs" executable in the flightgear build folder

Did you tell the script to install anything?

If I am not mistaken, OpenThreads is a part of OSG - or at least it used to be ...
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby fypstud » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:47 am

I don't think I have that fgfs file in the build folder :( Maybe I should start all over again...

Just wondering the trunk folder that I should start with (based on the site I posted earlier), it should be unpacked inside the Flight Gear Contents folder or is it okay to leave it outside of FG app?
fypstud

Postby Hooray » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:19 pm

I have taken a quick look at http://macflightgear.sourceforge.net/ho ... -unix-way/
I do not currently have access to a Mac to reproduce this step by step.
So I would either suggest to get in touch with the macfligthtgear project or to post a follow up to the Mac sub forum here.

Actually, I would assume that any *nix build script should work, have you actually tried using a different build script?
I think there is another one available at: http://geoffair.net/fg/

Also, why exactly are you required to use a Mac?
You said you are familiar with Windows?
Are you familiar with a Windows based C++ IDE, too?
I mean something like Visual Studio?

Also, please keep in mind that this is just the FG users forum - development related questions, may sometimes be better discussed on the developers mailing list: http://flightgear.org/mail.html

Have you actually been able so far to get the local weather system running in the latest release?
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby fypstud » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:27 pm

Hi guys,

Sorry for the long absence. I've since bought myself a new PC and am going to do the project from home. Hence I'm restarting my project on a Windows 7 PC now. Was also spending time on constructing the mathematical model. But sadly, I've yet encountered problems with building Flight Gear on my PC.

I have been following instructions on http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Building_FlightGear_-_Windows
Everything was going quite okay till I saw that this set of instructions till I got to the SVN part. I did download the Tortoise SVN, does that suffice? Coz I don't quite get the part on
TerraSync is a convenient method to get actual scenery data without the need for download many megabytes of data before flying by synchronizing in SVN manner. TerraSync is part of the FlightGear sources and will be compiled by default with the other FlightGear binaries. To get TerraSync compiled properly you need to get the above mentioned "SVN developer library files". Extract the library and header files into your 3rdparty folder to the corresponding subfolders.

I don't know where I'm suppose to get the SVN headers from. Please help, hopefully this time with a PC everything will become more manageable :)
fypstud

Postby fypstud » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:23 pm

Just to add on my previous post:

Not sure if its accurate, I am at the step which says "Getting SVN headers", im not exactly if I understood the instructions and I cant find the files that I'm suppose to Extract the library and header files into your 3rdparty folder to the corresponding subfolders.

I figured it was like what is being mentioned, that the Terrasync is already present with the main FlightGear source, so I moved on the "Getting OpenSceneGraph" and did as I was told, to link a folder name "OpenSceneGraph" in the C:\FlightGear folder with the URL stated, but it indicates that a username and password is needed. And I cannot find it being mentioned anywhere on the site.

Hopefully someone can shed some light as to what I'm doing wrong :(
fypstud

Postby Hooray » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:44 pm

What compiler are you using?
Microsoft Visual C++?
Have you tried downloading and using some of the pre-packaged project bundles?
I suppose that would be a lot easier for you, especially when getting started.

http://geoffair.net/fg/index.htm

Please note that it's usually not a good idea to cover different OS/compilers in the same thread: when you started this was about MacOS, now it's about Windows, and presumably MSVC++ ....

Also, you may find that you get better and more immediate help from other windows developers by using the FlightGear developers mailing list: http://www.flightgear.org/mail.html
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Return to Compiling