Board index FlightGear Support Compiling

Compiling recent FlightGear GIT devel version on OSX

Building FlightGear from source, and in the need for help?

Re: Compiling recent FlightGear GIT devel version on OSX

Postby simbabeat » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:44 am

Xcode is required to build the git. If you don't have means of installing it I can get it to you.
simbabeat

Postby jack » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:48 am

That's a nice offer, but I still don't understand why nobody has answered my original question.

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
jackmermod wrote:Why can't one person build the binaries for GIT on OS X, and then distribute them in a package to those who'd like to use GIT? What is the reason for requiring each person to risk crashing their computer when you could simply offer a single download that could only benefit for everybody?
For Military Aircraft, Scenery, and more, visit http://alphashangar.co.nr/

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Callsign: Alpha-J, Rescue1
Version: GIT

Postby gral » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:50 am

jackmermod wrote:"Install XCode"

Is this required for a successful GIT build?

Yes, this one is required for a successful GIT build.

jackmermod wrote:I don't plan on any Core Development, just aircraft and liveries. Would I need Simgear too? Or can I leave that out if I just plan on aircraft development?

If you plan to develop aircraft and liveries you don’t need recent GIT at all. Just use your current version of FlightGear. You can follow GIT version to track latest development of course, but you don’t need it as base to get your own new aircraft and liveries. SimGear is needed, but MacFlightGear and other precompiled binaries includes working SimGear by default.
-gral

Btw.I think there comes a snapshot of latest FlightGear for OSX soon!
gral

Callsign: HB-GRAL

Postby tat » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:45 am

jackmermod wrote:That's a nice offer, but I still don't understand why nobody has answered my original question.

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
jackmermod wrote:Why can't one person build the binaries for GIT on OS X, and then distribute them in a package to those who'd like to use GIT? What is the reason for requiring each person to risk crashing their computer when you could simply offer a single download that could only benefit for everybody?

This is because building FG-git on a Mac from scratch is not that easy. Seeing my build script (that I wrote yesterday) shows that it is way much complicated than a build script for linux box. The reason is that we need to build it on multiple CPUs that might run three different OS versions.

However, building FG-git using my script above is way easy. (Plus, it generates App bundle (except add-ons). Everything is universal binary by default. Yay!)
All you have to do is to understand its instruction (see http://macflightgear.sourceforge.net/ho ... -unix-way/).

This is my answer. You'll know it better when you build it yourself. 8)
Tat Nishioka
FlightGear Mac OS X Project
http://macflightgear.sourceforge.net
tat

Callsign: tat

Postby jack » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:57 am

Thank you. That was the best answer I could ask for. I'll definitely try my best to build GIT. If I am successful, maybe I'll make a GIT for dummies video or something of the nature. :)

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Postby jack » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:17 am

In trunk folder, type the following commands in the following order
sh ./download.sh
sh ./patch.sh
sh ./build.sh --archs="ppc i386"

How do I type something in a folder?????? :shock: What application should I enter the commands in?

jack
Retired

Postby tat » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:28 am

jackmermod wrote:How do I type something in a folder?????? :shock: What application should I enter the commands in?

As said in "Required Skills" section, you need to know how to use Terminal. It is used to execute almost all the commands shown in that page.
You also need Xcode, cmake, and git.

Tat
Tat Nishioka
tat

Postby jack » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:12 am

Ok after hours of surfing the web, I cannot find a download for Xcode for 10.5.8. I spent the rest of the day reading, and the playing around with terminal. I learned quite a few commands, and was able to run some non-fg scripts for practice. If anybody could direct me to a download for Xcode for 10.5.8 Leopard that would be great.

jack
Retired

Postby simbabeat » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:54 am

jackmermod wrote:Ok after hours of surfing the web, I cannot find a download for Xcode for 10.5.8. I spent the rest of the day reading, and the playing around with terminal. I learned quite a few commands, and was able to run some non-fg scripts for practice. If anybody could direct me to a download for Xcode for 10.5.8 Leopard that would be great.

It is an optional instal on your leopard install disk. Pop the disk in and it should be on there. I will repeat, if you don't have it I can get it to you.

Cheers
simbabeat

Postby tat » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:19 am

jackmermod wrote: If anybody could direct me to a download for Xcode for 10.5.8 Leopard that would be great.

You can use the XCode that came with Leopard. I think it's OK.
but If you want to get the latest XCode for Leopard, you can get it from http://developer.apple.com/mac/
One annoying thing is that you need to register as an Apple Developer. But don't worry, registration is for free.

Hope this helps,

tat
Tat Nishioka
tat

Postby fbhenry » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:30 pm

Tat,

Awesome work on that script and getting out the latest snapshot! Just a note of gratitude!

Best,

Fred
fbhenry

Callsign: ajax
Version: git

Postby gral » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:27 pm

Tat, may I ask you to update the wiki page providing some links and information to your script?

Thanks a lot, gral
Last edited by Gijs on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No useless quoting please!
gral

Callsign: HB-GRAL

Postby fbhenry » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:43 pm

This is perhaps for tat, but I'll post it here in case anyone else has the Mac OS X git build related issue:

Short and sweet: where is Atlas? Does this have to be built separately? Not bundled in?

If so, how to add it to the Mac app bundle? Just copy the relevant stuff into the Resources directory?

Thanks,

Fred
fbhenry

Postby someguy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:34 am

It's in tat's git package, Fred. In the git Launcher, I just checked the Atlas box, and it was ready to go before fgfs finished spawning. If you're not seeing it, use Exposé to find the Atlas windows.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby fbhenry » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:32 am

Thanks for the reply, someguy.

I was using tat's source trunk and built my own app bundle using his scripts. Atlas does not appear to be in that source package, so I copied Atlas, Map, GetMap and data/Atlas from tat's precompiled bundle into mine. Then atlas fired up.

Cheers,

Fred
[ajax]
fbhenry

PreviousNext

Return to Compiling