Board index FlightGear Support Compiling

Is it possible to incorporate flightgear with game engine?

Building FlightGear from source, and in the need for help?

Is it possible to incorporate flightgear with game engine?

Postby starvi » Mon May 31, 2021 11:26 am

hey everyone,

as stated in the subject, is it possible to incorporate flightgear with gameengine (unity/unreal) and what would be the best way to do it?

i would like to use flightgear as a blackbox for simulation project where i can just call a function, with or without parameters, from flightgear and has it return the value required without changing flightgear's code. i read from the wiki that i need to first compile it with cmake, but as most of the code uses c++, is it not possible for me to just import it into unreal engine?

another way that i heard of is through telnet but i'm questioning if there is a need to run flightgear in the background when i can just call the function directly.

any suggestion appreciated
starvi

Re: Is it possible to incorporate flightgear with game engin

Postby Hooray » Mon May 31, 2021 4:35 pm

This has been previously discussed on the forum:
https://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGear_ ... Box_Server

Good times in the Ka50, in FG + game engine architecture
chriscalef wrote:Hey, just wanted to share a happy moment, it took longer than I might have hoped for, but I now have my FlightGear / game engine (currently T3D) interface back up and running. What you see here is me flying around the FlightGear version of Portland Oregon, landing on buildings that get represented on the Torque side at the moment as terrain. This represents three different socket connections: one which receives the UDP stream containing the aircraft position, rotor speed, etc; another which sends commands back to FlightGear and receives responses; and a third which communicates terrain data from FlightGear to the game engine.

I'd suggest to search the forum for "unity", "unreal":
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=unity
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=unreal

look specifically for postings made by "chriscalef":
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=unity&author=chriscalef

PS: FlightGear can also be easily turned into a library and linked into a separate executable:

https://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Using ... FlightGear
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby starvi » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:36 am

hey hooray,

thanks for your quick reply. whyat about porting to ue4? i'm hoping to create a bridge between flightgear and unreal so i can use it for a ndisplay project.
the only result i've got for searching on unreal in the forum is whether JSBSim or YASim should be used.
i usually deal with just dll or plugins with the project packaged specifically for the engine, so i'm pretty lost with how the bridge can be done. will be great if you can shed some light on it.
starvi

Postby Johan G » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:55 pm

Probably not what you look for, but could maybe shed some light: https://wiki.flightgear.org/Interfacing_FlightGear
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Hooray » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:27 pm

both, jsbsim and yasim can be used in standalone mode, including as "libraries".
However, jsbsim is more commonly used by projects other than FlightGear, and it also comes with better documentation/support.

Like Johan said, the alternative would be to use a separate process and the interface with the FDM over some protocol like TCP/IP.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby starvi » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:15 am

hey Johan and Hooray,

thanks for the replies! i will look into them!
starvi

Return to Compiling