Board index FlightGear Support Compiling

flightgear compilation fails at 20% make process

Building FlightGear from source, and in the need for help?

Re: flightgear compilation fails at 20% make process

Postby cgdae » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:30 pm

tckosvic wrote in Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:20 pm:now i am confused.
I go to https://github.com/FlightGear and all the code modules seem to be listed there. But, now that I look closer, the git clone for simgear is version: 2020.4.0 and on the same site, the clone for flightgear is for version 2019.1.2 I had just assumed they were in sync.
I will download from your above links above and start over.

I can't find any easy uninstall for simgear. Do you know of one?

I like to compile my own code for most things. Just kind of a hobby and a learning thing.

thanks, tom

The primary location for flightgear and simgear is sourceforge, not github, so best to use the links xDraconian posted. Also see the wiki page about building flightgear: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Building_FlightGear

- Jules
cgdae

Postby xDraconian » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:23 am

Hi Tom,

Yep, that GitHub mirror is very out dated.

SimGear Uninstall... Just a simple purge. There is nothing unusual the install does, so you can safely just delete the files. Once you rebuild with the latest code it will replace the older files, so a purge isn't really necessary.

cgdae wrote in Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:30 pm:I like to compile my own code for most things. Just kind of a hobby and a learning thing.

I'm the same. You just became my newest friend ;)

Scott
xDraconian

Version: Git

Postby tckosvic » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:28 am

the files from:

git clone https://git.code.sf.net/p/flightgear/simgear
git clone https://git.code.sf.net/p/flightgear/flightgear

compiled flawlessly.

The site https://github.com/FlightGear needs to be changed or removed to prevent others from getting mis-matched simgear and flightgear and wating days.

Now, I got fgfs to start, no problem. But fgfs can't download 2020.4.0 data files. It can't find them and neither can I. The download says can't find 2020.4 files. I downloaded 2020.3 data files and the fgfs program wouldn't accept them

Where are 2020.4.0 data files? Can I rename the older 2020.3 files at some place to fool fgfs or are the newer ones necessary.

If the datafiles issue should be a separate thread, let me know and I will start it.

thanks again, tom kosvic
tckosvic

Postby xDraconian » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:39 am

Congratulations Tom! Glad that you got it compiled.

there is a version file in the fgdata folder. You can update it to 2020.4.0, but if you have the latests version then this should not be necessary.

within fgdata, make sure you are on branch next and do a git update.

Regarding the GitHub mirror, that is not ours.
xDraconian

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:18 am

xDraconian wrote in Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:39 am:there is a version file in the fgdata folder. You can update it to 2020.4.0, but if you have the latests version then this should not be necessary.

it should also be noted that using the wrong version of FGData for a FG build could result in weird bugs, too... for example, if some nasal has been fixed/changed... nasal is in FGData and is a big part of FG ops for some craft... updated menus and dialogs are another...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Hooray » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:18 pm

Right, unless you really know what you are doing (power users, aircraft devs, core hackers), it's rarely a good idea to mix mismatching fgdata and sg/fg versions - there is a ton of implicit dependencies here that are not properly tracked/encoded, so that you may end up with a setup that partially works, and partially doesn't (at all).

If in doubt, use a git checkout of fgdata so that you can easily tinker with different revisions
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:44 pm

tckosvic wrote in Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:28 am:The site https://github.com/FlightGear needs to be changed or removed to prevent others from getting mis-matched simgear and flightgear and wating days.

FWIW: i've just written to pete, the maintainer of this repository... his email is linked at the top of the repo...

here's what i wrote:

there seems to be a problem with your Flightgear mirror on github... specifically flightgear.git is behind by several months... the current NEXT branch of Flightgear is 2020.4.0 but your FG mirror is stuck at 2019.2.0 for some reason... FGMeta is also behind the same... you might want to check them all...

we (TINW) found out about your repo on the Flightgear forums after someone was complaining about not being able to compile FG properly... once they determined the repo(s) were out of date, they were able to pull the proper code from SF and finish their task...

i'm just a user of FG and participant on the FG forums and developer's mailing list...

thanks for your attention!
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby xDraconian » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:03 pm

Thanks @wkitty42
xDraconian

Previous

Return to Compiling