Board index FlightGear Support Compiling

TMBADQ - download_and_compile VS fg from scratch

Building FlightGear from source, and in the need for help?

TMBADQ - download_and_compile VS fg from scratch

Postby dhudach » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:20 pm

As the subject says: "This May Be A Dumb Question" ....

I built my version of flightgear on linux Mint using the download and compile scripts. I've been seeing some posts in the development forums on building fg from scratch. What is the difference between download_and_compile and building from scratch? Is there an advantage of one over the other? Any elaboration to provide clarity would be greatly appreciated. In other words, why use one over the other, etc. Thanks in advance.
Flight Instruction Elevator Control: pull back = houses get smaller, push forward = houses get bigger.
dhudach

Re: TMBADQ - download_and_compile VS fg from scratch

Postby xDraconian » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:40 am

download_and_compile is targeted toward Linux/Mac users.
fg_from_scratch is for Windows users.

They are very similar. The biggest difference being that fg-from-scratch builds all libraries from source. d&c builds the primary components (OSG, PLIB, FGFS, etc.) but assumes your secondary libraries are being managed by yourself via a package manager.

I've played with making fg-from-scratch for non-Windows, but it is a pretty low priority.

Scott
xDraconian

Version: Git

Re: TMBADQ - download_and_compile VS fg from scratch

Postby dhudach » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:02 am

Excellent, thank you for the information. Living in a linux world, I'll continue to use D&C. Thanks again.
Flight Instruction Elevator Control: pull back = houses get smaller, push forward = houses get bigger.
dhudach

Return to Compiling