Board index FlightGear Support Compiling

Download_and_compile.sh & Raspberry Pi4  Topic is solved

Building FlightGear from source, and in the need for help?

Re: Download_and_compile.sh & Raspberry Pi4

Postby enrogue » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:44 am

I'm not using the dds texture caching

I'm aware that the V3D driver is probably at fault - I've been trying to track down the exact type of texture that it's having issues with as not all are failing - it would be good to find a small test case & file a bug report
enrogue

Callsign: enrogue

Postby V12 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:09 am

I had problem with grayscale encoded .png textures...
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby Hooray » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:18 am

enrogue wrote in Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:44 am:I'm aware that the V3D driver is probably at fault - I've been trying to track down the exact type of texture that it's having issues with as not all are failing - it would be good to find a small test case & file a bug report

you could try the osg examples in combination with glxinfo
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby enrogue » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:24 pm

OK, so a workaround for the transparent textures issue on RPi4 is actually to use the DDS texture cache (without NVTT compression)

A few screenshots:

This is what happens when you compile in NVTT compression:

It is also possible to run FG on a PaspberryPi 3B! Although you'll have issues with memory, so you have to increase the swap size & GPU memory

Here is how to increase the built in swap file: https://wpitchoune.net/tricks/raspberry ... _size.html

You can also use zwap (compressed ram as swap) by installing the zram-tools package & editing /etc/default/zramswap - I used a combination of both to give me 1GB swap & set the GPU to 256M VRAM - you have to do this as the older VC4 GPU has no memory management unit of it's own, so textures have to sit in the GPU assigned ram (which is fixed on bootup)

Some screenshots from the RPi3B:

As you can see it doesn't handle the 3d cloud texture properly so it's best to turn off 3d clouds in fact its better to turn everything down to minimum - I managed to get it to start at PHTO & take off so I could get some views - but the last shot locked the gpu due to memory allocation (it helps to have sshed into the rpi from another machine for testing!)

enrogue

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:12 pm

enrogue wrote in Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:24 pm:As you can see it doesn't handle the 3d cloud texture properly so it's best to turn off 3d clouds [...]

FWIW: if you have active weather (aka AW) enabled, 3D clouds are forced on...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Puffergas » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:51 am

Interestingly, when a FG window is spread across two screens it still works. However, I doubt that it is practical because is becomes a bit choppy (lower FPS) in low scenery density area.

Puffergas

Postby Johan G » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:02 am

Puffergas wrote in Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:57 pm:I never wrote a Wiki page before, hope there isn't a steep learning curve... :)

Reading through Help:Your first article would be a good start. :) Skimming though the pages in the Welcome to the wiki box on your discussion page might be of help too.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Hooray » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:50 pm

enrogue wrote in Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:24 pm:OK, so a workaround for the transparent textures issue on RPi4 is actually to use the DDS texture cache (without NVTT compression)

It would be great if the people able to run fgfs on RPi-style hardware, could upload a few screen shots to the wiki, so that these can be used for the new article.
Also, @Puffergas: Excellent job, the article is great and it goes to show just what a few words of encouragement can accomplish - it would have been a pity not to have your article in the wiki !

Maybe, we can add dedicated categories for such hardware related articles, and even provide a corresponding "portal", so that more users interested in such things, would consider getting involved in using FlightGear for such purposes.

By the way, I took the liberty to add your article to the March edition as "article of the month" - so a few more screen shots would be nice.

And regarding enrogue's comments: If you have RPi specific graphics settings, I'd suggest to create a dedicated GPU profile, which is something that FlightGear supports thanks to work done by Erik a while ago, see DEBUG/SAVE VIDEO CONFIGURATION (I am not sure if this is properly documented anywhere or not)

Background: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Graphics_card_profiles
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Puffergas » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:23 pm

I'm honored! Thanks!

What kind of screen-shots? In flight?

I'm slow at this because of having to learn everything, for example; a wiki portal. However, it is enjoyable.
Puffergas

Postby Puffergas » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:08 am

After reading about Graphic Card Profiles, would it be possible to fix the square sun and other texture issues by adjusting a configuration file?
Puffergas

Postby enrogue » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:46 am

The texture issues are the V3D hardware or driver not supporting a particular combination of colour & transparency I think - the workaround is to enable texture caching which converts all textures into DDS - this works fine as long as you don't have compression enabled. I'm not sure the graphics card profiles cover this - I'll have a look later today if I have time
enrogue

Postby V12 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:41 am

No, DDS texture caching doesn't works fine. Check viewtopic.php?f=37&t=35843, or this video :

As You can see, clouds LOD doesn't work.
V12

Postby enrogue » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:46 am

Your video is private
enrogue

Postby V12 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:56 am

Thx, fixed.
V12

Postby enrogue » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:00 am

Is that on a Pi4 or is cloud LOD broken in general?
enrogue

PreviousNext

Return to Compiling