Board index FlightGear Support Compiling

Unresolved external, fg-from-scratch: CxxFrameHandler4  Topic is solved

Building FlightGear from source, and in the need for help?

Unresolved external, fg-from-scratch: CxxFrameHandler4

Postby chriscalef » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:01 pm

Hello,

I have a fg-from-scratch build on windows 10, using VS 2017. It looks like nearly everything has worked, all the way up to linking fgfs, but now I have the following set of errors:

Code: Select all
Severity   Code   Description   Project   File   Line   Suppression State
Error   LNK2001   unresolved external symbol __CxxFrameHandler4   fgfs   D:\FlightGear\fgmeta\fg-from-scratch\scratch-build\flightgear\src\Main\plib_pui.lib(puMenuBar.cxx.obj)   1   
Error   LNK2001   unresolved external symbol __CxxFrameHandler4   fgfs   D:\FlightGear\fgmeta\fg-from-scratch\scratch-build\flightgear\src\Main\plib_pui.lib(puListBox.cxx.obj)   1   
Error   LNK2001   unresolved external symbol __CxxFrameHandler4   fgfs   D:\FlightGear\fgmeta\fg-from-scratch\scratch-build\flightgear\src\Main\plib_pui.lib(puPopupMenu.cxx.obj)   1   
Error   LNK2001   unresolved external symbol __CxxFrameHandler4   fgfs   D:\FlightGear\fgmeta\fg-from-scratch\scratch-build\flightgear\src\Main\plib_pui.lib(pu.cxx.obj)   1   
Error   LNK2001   unresolved external symbol __CxxFrameHandler4   fgfs   D:\FlightGear\fgmeta\fg-from-scratch\scratch-build\flightgear\src\Main\plib_pui.lib(puObject.cxx.obj)   1   
Error   LNK2001   unresolved external symbol __CxxFrameHandler4   fgfs   D:\FlightGear\fgmeta\fg-from-scratch\scratch-build\flightgear\src\Main\plib_pui.lib(puGroup.cxx.obj)   1   
Error   LNK2001   unresolved external symbol __CxxFrameHandler4   fgfs   D:\FlightGear\fgmeta\fg-from-scratch\scratch-build\flightgear\src\Main\plib_pui.lib(puInterface.cxx.obj)   1   
Error   LNK2001   unresolved external symbol __CxxFrameHandler4   fgfs   D:\FlightGear\fgmeta\fg-from-scratch\scratch-build\flightgear\src\Main\plib_puAux.lib(puAuxList.cxx.obj)   1   
Error   LNK2001   unresolved external symbol __CxxFrameHandler4   fgfs   D:\FlightGear\fgmeta\fg-from-scratch\scratch-build\flightgear\src\Main\plib_puAux.lib(puAuxLargeInput.cxx.obj)   1   
Error   LNK2001   unresolved external symbol __CxxFrameHandler4   fgfs   D:\FlightGear\fgmeta\fg-from-scratch\scratch-build\flightgear\src\Main\plib_puAux.lib(puAuxComboBox.cxx.obj)   1   
Error   LNK2001   unresolved external symbol __CxxFrameHandler4   fgfs   D:\FlightGear\fgmeta\fg-from-scratch\scratch-build\flightgear\src\Main\plib_puAux.lib(puAuxSelectBox.cxx.obj)   1   
Error   LNK1120   1 unresolved externals   fgfs   D:\FlightGear\fgmeta\fg-from-scratch\scratch-build\flightgear\src\Main\Release\fgfs.exe   1   

I heard from @Brendan Black via the devel mailing list that the current FG head has a couple of build issues which can be avoided by checking out commit a9365cd34eff61fe5d2ce35939a23ac6e760409d, but that did not solve my problem in this case.

Anybody got any ideas?
chriscalef

Re: Unresolved external, fg-from-scratch: CxxFrameHandler4

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:23 am

are you actually checking out HEAD or the "next" branch?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby chriscalef » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:12 pm

"next" branch, sorry. But I've left this error behind, and now I have a new problem, it made it all the way through except for some weirdities where it seemed confused between whether it was making a release or a debug build (I didn't specify anything in that regard, just ran the script.) Everything built but FGFS, and then I was able to make that build in VS 2019 by changing some input libs from debug to release versions... but then the final build crashes when I try to run it, so I'm back to that problem. Been to this point a couple of times already, nothing very useful in the log file.

But I'm trying it again today, the devel mailing list seems to imply some recent pushes have been made that might affect windows builds.
chriscalef

Postby chriscalef » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:21 pm

I seem to be off in my own league regarding the compile issues I've been having, so I don't really expect anyone else to land on this particular error, and I don't have a precise answer for how I got rid of it, unless it is related to the one change I made: I was having trouble getting a 2019 solution generated, so I had gone into fg-from-scratch.cmd and forced it to generate for 2017 no matter what. However, then Scott on the mailing list suggested my CMake was probably out of date, and sure enough it was. I undid my change to the file and updated CMake, and then I got all the way through with projects generated. Which was when I ran into the debug/release confusion and the DOA build.
chriscalef

Postby chriscalef » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:01 pm

And... AAAAHH OMFG YIIIISSSSS IT WORKED!!!

(Sorry, it's been quite a process on this go around.)

Final thing I was missing, causing all of my problems with fgfs starting up, making a window frame, and then promptly dying, was: lack of a directory in my PATH:

.../fg-from-scratch\vcpkg-git\installed\x64-windows\bin

When I started it up the first time it needed several missing dlls, and I had found them and copied them in one by one, but it did not click in my mind that they were all in the same directory and I should just add that directory to my path. So it got through the errors it was telling me about, but probably ran into one of those dlls needing another one in the same folder, and rather than telling me about that it just died.
chriscalef

Return to Compiling