Board index FlightGear Support Compiling

Unmet dependencies

Building FlightGear from source, and in the need for help?

Unmet dependencies

Postby jtprophet » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:47 pm

Hi folks,

Im running Ubuntu 17.04 and wanted to try one more time to get FG 2017 to compile using the infamous "download_and _compile.sh" script and lo and behold it stops with this error message, can someone help me please from this point?

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libgdal-dev : Depends: libarmadillo-dev but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Thank-you

John
jtprophet

Callsign: DAL1464

Re: Unmet dependencies

Postby Hooray » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:57 pm

I wasn't even aware that GDAL is required these days to build FG - unless of course you're building the osgEarth version ?
As far as I know it should however suffice to install a matching osg version with gdal support included - unless this has something to do with recent scenery related improvements in the simgear code ?

I'd probably check a GIS related PPA for ubuntu next

EDIT: correct, SimGear's CMakeLists.txt does have checks for gdal
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby jtprophet » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:04 pm

Oh well I appreciate that quick response and I am not interested in using the osgEarth version at all; I just want to use the latest version altogether. Its been a frustrating time for me not being able to fly this sim and I think my problems began when I upgraded from Ubuntu 14.04; I should have stayed here and stuck with the "if it aint broke dont fix it" status.
jtprophet

Postby Hooray » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:10 pm

keep in mind that the d&c script is manually maintained by volunteers around here, it's not that unlikely that people may be using it in conjunction with a distro/config that simply hasn't been seen before - thus, you could try to see if manually installing the missing dependencies (libamarillo-dev) helps solve the problem or not - and if it does, provide the corresponding patches/feedback so that the script can be updated accordignly
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby jtprophet » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:14 pm

Ok,

Ill try this and report back as to what the end result will end up being if the issue is able to be fixed thank-you very much.
jtprophet

Postby Hooray » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:18 pm

I would definitely suggest to only install dependencies that can be easily installed though, i.e. don't touch any system-level stuff or things that you need for other reasons (work/office, whatever) - if in doubt, it's best to keep a track of everything that you are manually adding, so that it can be removed more easily, should the need arise.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:51 pm

jtprophet wrote in Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:47 pm:The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libgdal-dev : Depends: libarmadillo-dev but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

what was your d&c command line? this may be trying to go in in anticipation of building the terragear and terrageargui stuff... i don't know what you need to do on ubuntu 17... i would suggest maybe dropping back to ubuntu 16.04 because it is an LTS... then when 18.04 is released, give it a month or two to finish baking and then upgrade to that... we're currently still on 14.04...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Hooray » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:12 pm

since re-installing a distro is a ton of work (no matter if it's upgrading or down-grading), I'd definitely recommend to see first of all if the d&c script can be updated to add the missing bits - after all, that's exactly how it came to be what it is these days; i.e. by people teaming up and contributing their findings to make it work for different distros.

Apart from that, there's also the so called "superbuild" (wiki) - I am not sure though, if that's even supposed to work still, or if it's meanwhile orphaned ?
As far as I understand, this is however what was originally used on the build server.

If in doubt, I'd recommend checking the commit logs of fgmeta to see if the superbuild has recently received any attention or not.

Speaking in general however, the approach the d&c script is taking is rather invasive in my opinion - the superbuild should in theory work pretty nicely.
As a matter of fact, I used to keep my own set of makefiles to do the equivalent of the d&c script using the superbuild approach.

Doing that for different distros, and possibly different package manager systems could be really useful.
Unless of course, the superbuild can be made to work well enough.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby jtprophet » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:57 am

wkitty42 I used this command line:
sudo ./download_and_compile.sh
jtprophet

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:57 am

ewww... so you ran it with the defaults and as a super user?

we set up a specific directory under our user home directory... we run everything from there... no other users have access... but that doesn't help you with your missing dependency... i'd manually add what the message told you was missing and then see how it goes...aside from that, i'm clueless at the moment...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Compiling