Board index FlightGear Support Compiling

Compiling without launcher

Building FlightGear from source, and in the need for help?

Compiling without launcher

Postby daveculp » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:41 am

I use download_and_compile.sh to build on Ubuntu 17.10, and it fails while building the launcher. Does anyone know a way to edit the script so that the launcher is not built?
daveculp

Callsign: DCulp
Version: 2017.3.1

Re: Compiling without launcher

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:57 am

it isn't the script that you want to edit... the script doesn't do much other than make sure the repos are updated and then it calls cmake to do everything else... remove Qt and it will fail automatically... or wade into the cmake stuff... or provide a version of Qt that is compatible... at this time, i'm building on kubuntu 14.04.5 with Qt 5.9.1 from a PPA... this Qt is installed in /opt/ so it doesn't interfere with the system's installed Qt...

but i guess it would be a GoodThing<tm> to ask what the error is that you are getting... i know the list went through a round of Qt related stuff in the last few weeks right after james raised the minimal Qt version from 5.2 to 5.4...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby FlugHund » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:19 am

Ahoy King of Gravity!

Not using the script myself so this is just a guess. There seems to be lines to enter user specific compile options, for FGFS itself that'd be line 56. Alter it to make it look like:
Code: Select all
FG_CMAKEARGS="-DENABLE_QT=OFF"

You probably have to run the script with option "-r y" afterwards.

hth
Alex
FlugHund

Callsign: D-HUND
IRC name: D-HUND / debdog
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:06 pm

i forgot about that possibility... i used to use that one to enable the launcher back when it was first being introduced...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby daveculp » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:17 pm

Thanks Alex! That worked great.

I installed Ubuntu 17.10 because I wanted to get a newer Qt version for my qtjsbsim project. Turns out the module I need, QtWebEngine, doesn't exist in the repository and needs to be built from source. I tried to build it, got in to dependency hell, and gave up. Now I'm stuck with Qt 5.9.1 and no WebEngine module.

Dave
daveculp

Callsign: DCulp
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby FlugHund » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:32 am

Glad it worked!

Yeah, Qt can be a bit bitchy, or so I've heard. From devel ML I know there is an installer available for devs: http://download.qt.io/official_releases ... online.run
It allows to chose components of different Qt versions to be installed, including the WebEngine.
(In case the link above does not work for you, you can find it at https://www.qt.io/download-qt-for-appli ... evelopment)
FlugHund

Callsign: D-HUND
IRC name: D-HUND / debdog
Version: next

Return to Compiling