Board index FlightGear Support Compiling

Howto fly after compile with dowload_and_compile script

Building FlightGear from source, and in the need for help?

Howto fly after compile with dowload_and_compile script

Postby edroberts1943 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:17 pm

I have built Flight Gear on the most recent versions of ubutu and Flight Gear. However, apparently paths need to be set up or other processes started to get Flight Gear to run properly.

The scenery is not apparently loaded.
When launched, the plane does not move and no scenery is shown.

Is there a list of paths that need to be set up and/or processes that need to be started?

Thanks
edroberts1943

Callsign: N9991W

Re: Howto fly after compile with dowload_and_compile script

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:18 pm

you are using the run_fgfs.sh script in your directory tree, right? mine is in ~/flightgear-dev so i use ~/flightgear-dev/next/run_fgfs.sh

if you are only building the stable version, then you would replace "next" with "stable"...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby ludomotico » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:45 am

edroberts1943 wrote in Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:17 pm:When launched, the plane does not move and no scenery is shown.

Is there a list of paths that need to be set up and/or processes that need to be started?

Yes, there is. But if the simulator started and an aircraft is shown, the most important paths are already set. No external processes are needed, they are optional.

It is not clear if you are reporting a malfunction:

(1) What do you mean "no scenery is shown"? There is only water? Terrain but no buildings? A white screen? A black screen?

- If you see a white screen and it is not a foggy day... the driver of your videocard is probably not working properly. Which videocard do you have? Are you sure 3D acceleration is enabled in Ubuntu?
- If you see a black scenery... are you sure there is enough sunlight out there? Check Environment->Time in the menu (F10 if the menu does not appear) and set "morning".
- If you only see water... yes, the scenery is not downloaded. Which airport have you selected? Start with the default airport, which must be already downloaded.
- If you see terrain but not buildings... keep in mind not all airports are developed. Check this list for developed airports with buildings: http://iveze.nl/fgmap/

(2) What do you mean "the planes does not move"? Does the engine start, at least? Which plane?

- Some planes are not developed and will never move.
- Some planes are highly developed, and you must perform tens of steps (as in real life) before the plane can start moving.
- Some planes have an autostart function: Help->Autostart (not all planes include this function)
- Are your brakes set?

The default plane is a Cessna 172P and this plane includes a Help->Autostart function, in case you don't want to follow the checklists to start the engine as in real life.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby edroberts1943 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:30 am

Thanks for the suggestions. But, so far, none seem to apply:
1. I built in directory ~/fg
2. Executed script run_fgfs.sh
3. Flight Gear window is displayed using Cessna 172 (default that I want to fly).
4. Selected location as KPHF (Williamsburg Newport News).
5. Indicator showed that scenery is being loaded.
6. Brakes are released.
7. Autostarted engine.
8. No scenery was displayed--environment is set to noon. I have flown this way in windows and know what the airport should look like.
9. Advanced throttle using joystick, RPM increased.
10. Airspeed remained zero.
11. The last messages in the terminal window are:
Starter on
Hobbs system started
Starter off
Primer reset to 0

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ed
edroberts1943

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:01 am

i'm testing KPHF now... did you select to start in a parking space or on a runway? which space or runway?

i'm asking this because on airport i tried to start at has boxes and crates all over the place and the c172p always ended up upside down on some of them... was only ever able to get started there on a runway... you have removed the tie downs and wheel chocks, right? and the pitot cover?

[Edit]

also, are you using the standard 160HP engine and tricycle landing gear or have you chosen a different landing gear and engine?

i just took off with the 180HP engine and tricycle landing gear... cleared the end of the runway and suddenly the engine started sputtering... never had that happen before! :LOL:
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby edroberts1943 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:29 am

Runway 20
Did not remove chocks but have never had to in Windows. I autostarted.
Still, the scenery was not present.

Thanks for looking!
edroberts1943

Postby Jet86 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:29 am

edroberts1943 wrote in Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:29 am:Still, the scenery was not present.

Can you clarify what is present where the scenery should be? Water, or something else?
Jet86

Version: 2016.3.1

Postby edroberts1943 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:01 pm

No scenery is displayed. A gray background is painted where the scenery should be.
edroberts1943

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:29 pm

on the lack of scenery, do you have terrasync enabled?

KPHF is actually very plain... the only object i saw was the rotating light tower with the marker boxes and lights... aside from that there's no buildings...

are you using a/the ~/.fgfsrc file with options in it?
can you post your complete command line?

my most common one, is simply "~/flightgear-dev/next/run_fgfs.sh --launcher --log-level=debug" but you probably don't want or need the log-level one... i use it because i'm nosy and i report stuff to the developer's mailing list... yes, this command line makes use of the new internal --launcher... i've been using it exclusively since it became available... especially since it is the preferred method but others are still available...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby ludomotico » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:16 pm

Do you see a gray background only in the internal view or also in the external views? Can you test other aircraft? Are you using ALS? How about the rendering options? The c172p uses shaders on the cockpit glass to render effects such as reflections and rain, and these shaders may be not supported by your videocard.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby edroberts1943 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:40 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. The immediate problem was solved: I needed to enable automatic scenery download which I never had done with the Windows version.
There are still problems with my execution and or configuration. The simulation is running at a very slow frame update rate, about 1 frame per second. I will open another thread to address these issues if a solution is not found soon.

Thanks again.
Ed R.
edroberts1943

Return to Compiling