Board index FlightGear Support Compiling

Built fgfs aborts immediately after launching on Win7

Building FlightGear from source, and in the need for help?

Built fgfs aborts immediately after launching on Win7

Postby ThomasS » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:09 pm

Hi, after successfully compiling FG from sources (release 2016.3.1) on OSX and Ubuntu, I did this on Win 7 as described in http://wiki.flightgear.org/Building_usi ... _-_Windows. Building itself worked like a charm. No errors and about 164 warnings (didn't check these).

But launching the resulting fgfs.exe (after copying it into the regular installation) immediately results in an error window of MSVC runtime library saying "abort() has been called". This happens with both the 32 and 64 bit versions.

I have no idea how to proceed. Does anyone have an idea what might be wrong here? It might be a DLL problem. But how can I investigate this problem? I used cmake from the command line and Visual Studio 14.
ThomasS

Version: 2018.2.1

Re: Built fgfs aborts immediately after launching on Win7

Postby bugman » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:10 pm

I just updated those instructions, and the fgfs binary works for me (Win 7, MSVC 14 2015, 64-bit). Maybe try running a quick test - does fgfs.exe run in the default installation directory that you set for CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX? Well, in the '\bin' subdirectory where it is placed.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby ThomasS » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:50 pm

Hi, thanks for your comment. fgfs.exe aborts in both locations, also in the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX bin directory with PATH extended by the 3rdparty and OSG bins extended. I will check your modifications to the instructions. Maybe I will find a hint.

Best Regards

Thomas
ThomasS

Postby Hooray » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:50 pm

I would suggest running the whole thing in a debugger so that we can get a backtrace to see what's going on - my guess is that this could be related to recent changes in the startup/logging logic that may have received insufficient testing on other platforms - and especially Windows is generally problematic because we have so few remaining developers who regularly build/test on Windows.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby ThomasS » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:08 am

What I did was opening the debugger after the crash as proposed by Windows ("what you like to debug the program"). The displayed stack trace in MSVS didn't give me a any hint. But that could be related to missing Debug option during the build.

I will retry the process on a different Win7 system to make sure the problem is not related to a broken Win7 installation.

BTW: I tried to upload a screenshot of the debugger window to the forum. It seems possible. Instead I have to load the image to some arbitrary server and create a link here in the forum? Is that correct? There is no direct image upload into the forum?
ThomasS

Postby Hooray » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:15 am

correct - but if you add a corresponding wiki article, e.g. about debugging instructions on/for Windows, you can simply upload such images to the wiki, as long as you also use those images there to document the process - at that point, you can simply use your wiki images in your forums postings, which is what I am usually doing, most image hosts will at some point purge/clean up outdated images - however, many screenshots we have here tend to be relevant to fgfs only, so it does make sense to come up with generally useful screenshots and use those to help improve the docs, while also discussing things on the forum - basically most of the ND/NavDisplay code got prototyped and documented like that on the forum, i.e. you will find the same shots used for the ND article, as well as in the original forum topics.

The added advantage being that you can easily reuse your forum postings/announcements to update the newsletter/changelog - e.g. we have a browserscript that will directly convert forum/devel list postings into valid mediawiki markup, while retaining posted image URLs, i.e. converting those to markup that can be used for the newsletter/changelog.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby ThomasS » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:50 am

I finally succeeded in building FG on my second Win7 PC. It took me several cycles of (un)installing MSVC,SDK and QT (I added a few words to http://wiki.flightgear.org/Building_usi ... _-_Windows as a reminder for a proper installation). Apparently my first PC has a broken installation.
ThomasS

Postby mich » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:05 pm

Hi guys,
I tried to compile FG from source. I succeded, but at the time of running fgfs.exe it breaks when it says "finalization of the ongoing systems" (I am italian, so I don't know if the traslation is correct).
Would you have some advices? Do you know how this appens?

Thanks

mich
Mich
mich

Postby ronh » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:48 am

This is a known issue with the 2017.1.0 builds. There is a problem with the network functions (DNS). Find the DNSClient.cxx file in the fgfs network sources and comment out the line

void FGDNSClient::update(double)
{
//_dns->update();
}

recompile and it will work, but will not have access to scenery online.
HTH
Ron
Windows 10 VS 2015, 2017
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
ronh

Version: next

Postby mich » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:39 pm

Thanks ronh, now it works, but.... it shows nothing :cry:
It shows half screen black and the other half the sky (the sun is a big square) :?:
Do you know why?

(If you want, you can contact me in private not writing in this (maybe) wrong thread)
Mich
mich

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:54 pm

ummm... he said that commenting that out removes the ability for the sim to look up the scenery server addresses and download new scenery online ;)

the devs are working on it and there has been discussion in the last day about what the problem is and how to solve it... hopefully it won't take long for a solution to be found, implemented and released to the masses...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby mich » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:20 am

Ohu thank you :)
there is a way to download the previous releas of git, an not the 2017 one?
Mich
mich

Postby sanhozay » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:52 am

mich wrote in Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:20 am:download the previous releas of git, an not the 2017 one?

Checkout the branch for the 2016.4 release, i.e. https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fl ... .4/~/tree/, clean it and rebuild it.

If that also has the problem, go back to 2016.3 in the same way.
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Postby mich » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:27 pm

Thank you
Mich
mich

Postby mich » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:50 am

sanhozay wrote in Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:52 am:
mich wrote in Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:20 am:download the previous releas of git, an not the 2017 one?

Checkout the branch for the 2016.4 release, i.e. https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fl ... .4/~/tree/, clean it and rebuild it.

If that also has the problem, go back to 2016.3 in the same way.

I have download the 2016.4 release and fgfs.exe now works, but it doesn't displays the cockpit for the Cessna, the airport and so on... it shows only the sky and half the screen is balck...

Please help e newbie like me beggining develop for flightgear...
Mich
mich

Next

Return to Compiling