Board index FlightGear Support Compiling

osgEarth Wiki update needed

Building FlightGear from source, and in the need for help?

osgEarth Wiki update needed

Postby Amarildojr » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:25 am

Looks like poweroftwo moved his repos here, and I can't figure out how to integrate OSGEarth with FlightGear.

It would be appreciated if someone took the care to update the Wik page :) http://wiki.flightgear.org/Building_Fli ... ntegration

I'm too dumb for this so I have to depend one someone to update the Wiki :D
Amarildojr

Callsign: TAM91

Re: osgEarth Wiki update needed

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:09 pm

a quick read seems to show that that is for an old version of FGFS... i would not attempt it at all with today's FGFS repo code... especially since FGDATA has undergone some changes and there's been a bit of refactoring going on in the FGFS code... i would wait for poweroftwo to come back and do it and then let them update the wiki so that it contains proper documentation instead of those quotes :roll:
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Re: osgEarth Wiki update needed

Postby Hooray » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:05 pm

It isn't too difficult to update the wiki article to make the git instructions work again with the changed URLs - but quite frankly, wkitty42 got a point, people who cannot work out the necessary changes are rather unlikely to succeed building a patch fg/osgEarth version anyway, especially given the recent changes - i.e. there will inevitably a manual process involved (rebasing sg/fg accordingly).

Thus, my opinion is that it's not such a bad thing that people have to do some legwork first to really face those problems - otherwise, the forum may be flooded with compilation errors due to someone working out the git instructions to change the d&c script, without understanding C++ well enough to actually make the rebase succeed.

Regarding poweroftwo, I have been in touch with him and my understanding is that he's extremely busy with other things currently, unrelated to FlightGear -so that it's really up to our power users to update the build instructions accordingly.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to Compiling