Board index FlightGear Support Compiling

How do you use git?

Building FlightGear from source, and in the need for help?

How do you use git?

Postby MountainFlyerN22 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:39 am

I was looking for someone to explain how to (I don't even know what to call it, compiling,uploading?) GIT.

I'm mostly a player now,but I want to learn some about the development/modding part.

Say you want to download a aircraft from git,you download it,then what?

Am I even right in any of this?? :?

Please help.
MountainFlyerN22

Callsign: N22
Version: 3.0.0

Re: How do you use git?

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:03 am

You would download the tar.gz if you don't have the client and extract the file using 7-Zip. Simplest wway
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby sanhozay » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:53 am

Given that Git is being abandoned for aircraft next month, it wouldn't make sense to start learning about Git now, unless you have other reasons to do so.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=24045

In most cases you don't need to recompile anything for aircraft development. It's essentially a process of defining configuration in XML files, writing supporting Nasal scripts, creating/updating models and adding textures, sounds, etc.

According to Clément's response to my question on that thread, the process for submitting aircraft changes is:

2. You can use the Tickets system then attach the `svn diff` https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/tickets/
However, over the years it appeared that contacting the author of the model by mail was much more effective than create a merge request on gitorious

I can't find any information in the Wiki of how we are supposed to submit bug fixes to aircraft.
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Postby Johan G » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:18 pm

sanhozay wrote in Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:53 am:Given that Git is being abandoned for aircraft next month, it wouldn't make sense to start learning about Git now, unless you have other reasons to do so.

Using Git for a personal repository with one aircraft you are working on makes some sense (from my short experience I think I can recommend it). ;)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.2

Postby onox » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:33 pm

If you want to learn Git, read this or this. If you want to download a nice GUI app for windows, download this or this.
onox
Retired

Postby Johan G » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:18 pm

A not too bad GUI are included with the official Git package for Windows. Git official download page

Personally I use the Bash shell included. Next computer might very well be dual boot. :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.2

Return to Compiling