Board index FlightGear Support Compiling

Crash involving navcache file on win 7 / vs2010

Building FlightGear from source, and in the need for help?

Crash involving navcache file on win 7 / vs2010

Postby chriscalef » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:55 pm

Just wondering if anyone might have any ideas re: my current crash. I'm trying to build and run a clean install of FG using vs 2010 on win 7. I have a fresh copy of fgdata git checked out. I've gotten to the point of release and debug both compiling successfully, but on execution both crash just after the splash screen.

In release mode I get no further information, but in debug I get the "Debug Assertion Failed!" window, telling me "Expression: auto_ptr not dereferencable", in VC/include/memory, line 948.

Meanwhile, my stack trace puts my last useful FG code location at src/Navaids/NavDataCache.cxx, line 1100, which looks like this:

Code: Select all
d->aptDatPath = SGPath(globals->get_fg_root());
  d->aptDatPath.append("Airports/apt.dat.gz");

d->metarDatPath = SGPath(globals->get_fg_root());
  d->metarDatPath.append("Airports/metar.dat.gz");

d->navDatPath = SGPath(globals->get_fg_root()); 
  d->navDatPath.append("Navaids/nav.dat.gz");

I had some trouble previously with an sqlite3 error saying my "database was not writable", I think in connection with my navdata cache files in fg_home. My release binary versions of FG downloaded from the main site are able to talk to this directory and make navdata cache files, but could there be some reason my build cannot? Or does this look like some other problem?

(Incidentally, for the current build of FG, should that file now be called navdata_3_3.cache?)

Putting a watch on globals seems to indicate that there is nothing wrong with my fg_root path. It is on a different hard drive from my flightgear build, if that makes any difference, I would assume not. (?)

All input welcome!
chriscalef

Re: Crash involving navcache file on win 7 / vs2010

Postby Hooray » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:44 am

$FG_HOME must be write-able - also, what version of SQLite are you using, the embedded one or some system-wide/3rd party lib ?
The navcache has unfortunately become infamous for a number of issues that are hard to reproduce for developers, but that render FG unusable for many users for some obscure reasons, or which make FlightGear startup times become unnecessarily slow ... overall, it would be a good idea to file a bug report so that this can be tracked separately - the main person familiar with this code hasn't been seen around here in several months, so this may take some time to investigate - thus, it would be a good idea to file a bug report and assign it to Zakalawe - in the meantime, we can try to do some more troubleshooting here though.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby rreiter » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:03 pm

chriscalef wrote in Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:55 pm:Just wondering if anyone might have any ideas ... All input welcome!

What Hooray said + you might also look at case 1456 near the bottom for insight and possible workaround.
In that case NavAids/carrier_nav.dat.gz growth leads to an infinite loop and the system just appears hung (not quite a crash like you have); once the file is "bad", simply removing it sometimes helps if it's not a crucial file or if it gets rebuilt on the next run.
I personally haven't had this issue lately, but just for fun if you have time you might want to investigate along those lines.
rreiter

Postby chriscalef » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:53 pm

Hm, well the problem seems to be that FG and/or VS seem seem to _think_ my FG_HOME is readonly, even though the 3.0 official release seems to write to it with no issue. I tried running VS as administrator as well, just to check, but it also failed the same way.

My FG home is in C:/Users/{my user}/AppData/Roaming/flightgear.org, although I thought it said on the wiki that later versions would switch that to My Documents. Is there a way to override the OS-specific FG_HOME completely and just point it at another directory?

Or could this just be a problem with /sim/fghome-readonly being set mistakenly to true?
chriscalef

Postby Hooray » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:30 pm

It would indeed be interesting if this should be linked to the recent Windows-only changes - I think it was F-JJTH who made those changes, so he can probably help troubleshoot how this should ideally work - I am on Linux and don't normally use Windows at all...
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Return to Compiling