Board index FlightGear Support Compiling

compiling Flightgear under windows using cmake  Topic is solved

Building FlightGear from source, and in the need for help?

Re: compiling Flightgear under windows using cmake

Postby Hooray » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:26 pm

umm, that's indeed interesting - please make sure to update the wiki article accordingly until this is understood/fixed.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Saga » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:13 pm

The build with cmake 2.8.12 has just finished and it fails except for OSG. The log is very large. I've succeed to superbuild it this morning but that was before a git pull for each submodules. And I don't remember my last pull.

I'm going to build with a previous commit (~6 june) of fgmeta, simgear, flightgear and fgrun.
Host and maintainer of fgcom.flightgear.org.
Saga

Callsign: F-G0z
Version: Git next

Postby rreiter » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:10 pm

Saga wrote in Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:13 pm:The build with cmake 2.8.12 has just finished and it fails except for OSG. The log is very large. I've succeed to superbuild it this morning but that was before a git pull for each submodules. And I don't remember my last pull.

I'm going to build with a previous commit (~6 june) of fgmeta, simgear, flightgear and fgrun.

It is likely not a cmake version issue. I have now been able to build Win32 after using either version (and edited my earlier post to reflect this). Erase everything. Use command line Git bash. follow the instructions to the letter. No problems here.

Edit:
I also just looked at your log...
7> -- Using default data directory for base package: D:/Projets/FlightGear/install/msvc110-64/FlightGear/lib/FlightGear
8>------ Skipped Build: Project: ALL_BUILD, Configuration: RelWithDebInfo x64 ------

You're doing something quite different from chandraharika's original win32 issue.
I'll also verify a 64-bit myself build next using cmake 3.0.0. I already know it works with cmake 2.8.12 .
rreiter

Postby chandraharika » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:08 am

I tried with cmake 2.8 and following output I am getting .it is skipping the project "ALL BUILD". its giving error as "system can't find the file specified".Do I need to add the path of any file anywhere.

1>------ Build started: Project: ZERO_CHECK, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
2>------ Build started: Project: WinDeps, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
3>------ Build started: Project: Boost, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
4>------ Build started: Project: OSG, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
5>------ Build started: Project: SimGear, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
5> Performing forcebuild step for 'SimGear'
5> foo
6>------ Build started: Project: FGRun, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
7>------ Build started: Project: FlightGear, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
7> Performing forcebuild step for 'FlightGear'
7> foo
8>------ Skipped Build: Project: ALL_BUILD, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
8>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
========== Build: 7 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 1 skipped ==========
chandraharika

Postby Saga » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:25 am

Congratulation it works! :) It is normal ALL_BUILD is skipped. Look in your install directory, you should have the binaries. I've got the same error "system can't find the file specified" when I've tried to build with a version of CMake different of which one has created the solution.

Otherwise, I've succeed to build with CMake 2.8.12 (it was because OSG was built in RelWithDebInfo mode). So I built it in Release and it works.
Now, I try again with CMake 3.0 to be sure that the problem is due to the new version. I'll specify on the wiki page the CMake 3.0 issues.
Saga

Postby chandraharika » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:44 am

this skipping th all build project probelm I solved by selecting "ALL BUILD" project in properties ->configration. now output of fgmeta.sln is as follows:
1>------ Build started: Project: ZERO_CHECK, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
2>------ Build started: Project: WinDeps, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
3>------ Build started: Project: Boost, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
4>------ Build started: Project: OSG, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
5>------ Build started: Project: SimGear, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
5> Performing forcebuild step for 'SimGear'
5> foo
6>------ Build started: Project: FGRun, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
7>------ Build started: Project: FlightGear, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
7> Performing forcebuild step for 'FlightGear'
7> foo
8>------ Build started: Project: ALL_BUILD, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
8> Build all projects
========== Build: 8 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
but when I am running the project after building the project it is giving error as "unable to start program c:\user\mahesh\fgmetadata\debug\ALL-BUILD.exe. system can't found the files specified." when I tried to run flightgear.sln it is giving error as "crashRpt1402.dll is missing from your computer.try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." Do I need to add path of openscengraph files (suggested in http://wiki.flightgear.org/Superbuild).
chandraharika

Postby Hooray » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:49 am

Saga wrote in Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:25 am: I'll specify on the wiki page the CMake 3.0 issues.

That would be great, while you're at it - I guess most Windows users would also appreciate a handful of screen shots while working through those steps.
We added quite a few screen shots to the NetBeans article, and it's still getting a ton of views, and people are actually working through it: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Build_ ... sing_CMake

Something like that would be great to have for the SuperBuild article, too - i.e. screen shots showing the git/cmake GUIs and the most relevant settings.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Saga » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:23 pm

chandraharika wrote in Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:44 am:when I tried to run flightgear.sln it is giving error as "crashRpt1402.dll is missing from your computer.try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." Do I need to add path of openscengraph files (suggested in http://wiki.flightgear.org/Superbuild).

Yes you need to add the bin directory of OSG but also the bin directory of 3rdParty libraries to the PATH environment variable. And if you want to run fgfs from your IDE, you must add the fgdata directory in the command arguments of the fgfs project. Or simply run fgrun outside the IDE.

EDIT: I've succeed to build with CMake 3.0 with Release mode. I don't understand why it does not work for you...
Saga

Postby chandraharika » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:35 pm

Did you try it on windows 32-bit.
chandraharika

Postby chandraharika » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:07 pm

is path environment variable means providing path of bin folder of OSG and 3rd party in additional library directory under linker->general ??.I gave the path of bin folder(3rd party and osg in fgfs properties). but I am getting the same error "crashRpt1402.dll is missing from your computer.try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."
chandraharika

Postby Hooray » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:21 pm

that should be part of 3rd party deps.zip IIRC - but it's not critical, it should be possible to disable crash reporting, see the CMakeLists.txt for the corresponding option.
If in doubt, use the issue tracker to get in touch with the core developer who integrated this (Zakalawe)
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby rreiter » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:15 pm

chandraharika wrote in Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:07 pm:is path environment variable means providing path of bin folder of OSG and 3rd party in additional library directory under linker->general ??.I gave the path of bin folder(3rd party and osg in fgfs properties). but I am getting the same error "crashRpt1402.dll is missing from your computer.try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

@saga+@Hooray: the above question about fgfs Environment gets asked a lot. Personally I've followed windows Superbuild instructions and set my FlightGear.sln [fgfs] project as the startup project in Visual Studio. Now for the environment - mine is below.
Is it similar to your setups?
I'm trying to find out if this would be a "standard" enough setup/procedure for me to incorporate into the wiki, or if I'm doing something out of the ordinary:

(1) fgfs Properties | Configuration Properties | Debugging | Environment
I added both PATH= and FG_ROOT=, for example :
PATH=W:/homevs/metabuild/install/msvc100/OpenSceneGraph/bin;W:/homevs/metabuild/winDeps/3rdParty/bin
FG_ROOT=W:/FlightGear/data

(2) fgfs Properties | Configuration Properties | Debugging | Command Arguments
I put in here all the fgfs.exe command arguments for startup in debug mode (normally frgun would supply these). One very long line, eg, mine right now (of course I change them depending on what I want at the time):
--fg-root=W:/FlightGear/data --fg-scenery=W:/FlightGear/data/Scenery;W:/FlightGear/Scenery;W:/FlightGear/terrasync --terrasync-dir=W:/FlightGear/terrasync --airport=KSFO --runway=19L --aircraft=ufo --disable-random-objects --prop:/sim/rendering/random-vegetation=false --enable-enhanced-lighting --disable-ai-models --disable-ai-traffic --disable-real-weather-fetch --prop:/sim/menubar/autovisibility/enabled=1 --geometry=1024x768 --bpp=32 --texture-filtering=16 --prop:/sim/rendering/multi-sample-buffers=1 --prop:/sim/rendering/multi-samples=4 --timeofday=morning --enable-terrasync --disable-fgcom --log-level=debug

I know that experienced people might want to run via fgrun and then connect the debugger directly to the fgfs process. But in terms of having something "out-of-the-box" for a new person to do, would instructions for the above be ok?
rreiter

Postby chandraharika » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:52 pm

Thanku very much for your support.By following the instruction of providing PATH and FG_ROOT variable flightgear is running properly.But I m not getting the GUI(selecting aircraft and airport). after running flightgear it is showing a window with the scenery of C172P model and it is showing scenery loading(never ending process :) ). in fgfs Properties | Configuration Properties | Debugging | Command Arguments I didn't give any command (I tried to give but it gave error). If I try to run directly fgrun.exe than it is giving error as zlib.dll can't found.
chandraharika

Postby rreiter » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:27 pm

chandraharika wrote in Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:52 pm:Thanku very much for your support.By following the instruction of providing PATH and FG_ROOT variable flightgear is running properly.But I m not getting the GUI(selecting aircraft and airport). after running flightgear it is showing a window with the scenery of C172P model and it is showing scenery loading(never ending process :) ). in fgfs Properties | Configuration Properties | Debugging | Command Arguments I didn't give any command (I tried to give but it gave error). If I try to run directly fgrun.exe than it is giving error as zlib.dll can't found.

If you start from in the IDE and have set fgfs as the startup project then "not getting the GUI" is correct because "fgfs.exe" is started directly by the IDE (not fgrun) - and that is why you would need to also specify the command arguments. Conversely the reason for your failure running fgrun.exe is because when you are outside the IDE the IDE Environment is not active. To overcome this you can also set PATH in your windows Environment (or like I sometimes do, just copy all the needed files wherever you need them).
The very very long delay starting in debug mode (I think) is also normal. If you're not going to be stepping through the code, you can try to "start without debugging" and/or rebuild in release mode.

I was waiting to hear from others to see if my own IDE configuration I described in last post is fairly standard before adding to the wiki or possibly leading you and other people astray with bad advice.
rreiter

Postby chandraharika » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:28 pm

Thanku very much I got the GUI by running fgrun.exe .Without your support it was not possible to build a project. I put all required dll's in fgrun folder. My aim is to understand the flightgear module completely and I should be able to integrate any flight model with flightgear and integrate osgearth also.Please guide me so that I can achieve my goal.
chandraharika

PreviousNext

Return to Compiling