Board index FlightGear Support Compiling

Looking for someone to quote on building Windows 7 version

Building FlightGear from source, and in the need for help?

Looking for someone to quote on building Windows 7 version

Postby KevinHunt » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:40 pm

Greetings!

We use FlightGear as a visualizing environment for our own flight dynamics model. We have been using a very old version on Windows XP (0.98, iirc). We need to move to Windows 7, and we don't have enough staff to do the work in house - we'd be interested in fielding quotes for some assistance in this project.

Thanks!
Kevin Hunt
Ground Station Software Manager
AeroVironment, Inc.
KevinHunt

Re: Looking for someone to quote on building Windows 7 versi

Postby Hooray » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:33 pm

Hi & welcome !

what exactly do you need, a pre-built Win64 binary ?
If so, you can download everything you need from the build server: http://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGear_Build_Server
If you need a custom build with a repeatable setup, you may want to consider setting up your own build server.

If you are looking for someone to do FG related contract work, I'd suggest to get in touch with poweroftwo (Jeff Biggs/Simperative.com) who's recently implemented osgEarth support for FlightGea, and also provided pre-built binaries for Windows.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby KevinHunt » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:49 pm

Thanks!

I have, in fact, gotten in touch with Jeff (really small world, we've worked together!) and we're getting things sorted out. Just as background - we need to be able to modify a couple of things in the FG project to allow us to pipe in information from our own flight dynamics model. This approach has been working for us for years, and now that we need to go to W7, I need to be able to build FG from source. It's not a small task and I just don't have staff/time for my current schedule.

I appreciate the help and with Jeff helping, we're good to go here - thanks!

Kevin
KevinHunt

Postby Hooray » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:53 pm

I really suggest to discuss setting you up with your own reproducible build server setup using Jenkins, that would allow you to easily back-up and restore things, and even use distributed compiling at some point. The great thing is that having your own build server scales much better than setting up an IDE once, because you can easily build/test multiple branches. I think poweroftwo also used a VM to build his windows binaries, which is also the method used by the official FG build server: http://flightgear.simpits.org:8080/

It's a bit more work in the beginning, but it's more future-proof and better scalable that way - in fact, you could have a team of developers all using the central build server, instead of having to set up a build environment for each station:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Build_ ... sing_CMake
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby KevinHunt » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:36 pm

You make a very good point, and I think that it will be something that I'll want to look into in the future - once I can allocate staff to the problem. Right now it's just me and another guy working this...

Thanks!
Kevin
KevinHunt

Return to Compiling