Board index FlightGear Support Compiling

New build. fgfs aborted. get_rt_format, assertion '0' failed  Topic is solved

Building FlightGear from source, and in the need for help?

New build. fgfs aborted. get_rt_format, assertion '0' failed

Postby grimdon » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:23 am

I have just completed my first build. It executes for 1 second, then prints "Enabling ATI viewport hack",
then aborts with the message:
fgfs: nv_10_state_fb.c: 50: get_rt_format: assertion '0' failed.

My system is Debian. I am following the "Building FlightGear - Debian" wiki cookbook.
My packages are: flightgear & data 2.12.1, simgear 2.8.0, boost_1_55_0, OpenSceneGraph 3.2.0, open_al_soft 1.15.1,
freeglut 2.8.1, plib.svn

My command line is: ./fgfs --fg-root=/home/don/flightgear/fgdata
I have set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/don/flightgear/FG-2.12/lib/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

I hope someone can give me a suggestion.
grimdon

Re: New build. fgfs aborted. get_rt_format, assertion '0' fa

Postby Johan G » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:47 am

I do not know about the rest, but I believe that you really should use the same version of SimGear as FlightGear. ;)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby grimdon » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:49 am

Thanks Johan
I made a typo. My simger was 2.12.0, not 2.8.0. Sorry. But since my flightgear was 2.12.1 I rebuilt with simgear 2.12.1 anyway. Unfortunately the same error resulted from execution.

To Whom It May Concern:
I have been using the cookbook wiki.flightgear.org/Installing_FlightGear_-_Debian. In that wiki some suggested command lines depend on GIT and 2.12. I have an idea what each of these terms mean but not enough to allow me to apply to which set of command lines to use. The two terms determine whether to use git clone.... or git checkout.... or both. Just a few more words in the wiki would be of great help to someone of my limited knowledge.

But now a little more on my immediate problem: my pitiful attempts at troubleshooting amount to trying to find a file named nv10_state_fb.c which was mentioned in the error message. Using find Nothing turns up. Should it? I also searched for the string "get_rt_format" mentioned in the error message thinking this might uncover a clue.
The utility rgrep does not find the string. So where does it originate? What else can I try?.
grimdon

Postby adrian » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:41 am

Are you using the "nouveau" graphics driver? This error is related to it.
adrian

Postby ludomotico » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:34 am

grimdon wrote in Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:49 am:In that wiki some suggested command lines depend on GIT and 2.12. I have an idea what each of these terms mean but not enough to allow me to apply to which set of command lines to use. The two terms determine whether to use git clone.... or git checkout.... or both.

These are version names. I agree using "git" as a tool and "GIT" as a version name is confusing.

- GIT: it is the name of the last development version. It is dynamic, the development version changes several times every week, and it may content new features and bugs.
- 2.12: is a name of a stable release, frozen in time. It won't change. Other possible names: 2.10, 2.8...

A "git clone" downloads all versions. You cannot chose to download only one: using git, it's all or none. After that, you use "git checkout" to select a version:

- "git checkout next" selects the GIT version, i.e. the current state of the source code. This is the default behavior after a "git clone", so the line is not really needed... except if you select another version and then you want to switch to GIT.
- "git checkout origin/release/2.12.0" (or some form of this command) selects the 2.12.0 version. The source files will change. You can compile this version, or run "git checkout next" to go back to the development version.

I'm updating the article in the wiki to clarify this issue. I'm not sure if the plib section is still needed, I'm compiling all the tools using the plib library available in the Debian testing repositories. Beware I have not been able to build fgadmin for a long time, I think it uses an old version of libfltk. I have included a line to show how you can disable fgadmin.
ludomotico

Version: git

Postby grimdon » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:02 pm

Thanks, ludomotico, very informative.

Adrian, I suspect I am using the 'nouveau' driver, but I don't know how to tell for sure.
I downloaded and installed Debian Wheezy a couple of weeks ago. I do not recall making any informed choice as to video driver. My hardware is:
[GeForce4 MX 420][10de:0172](rev a3)

In /proc/modules there are a dozen or so lines which mention nouveau. Two of them are:
nouveau 526808 3 - Live 0xf0b91000
video 17459 1 nouveau Live 0xf0ac6000

I have run the Windows version of fgfs on this machine with satisfactory results. Different driver I'm sure,
but the hardware seems adequate.
Do I change drivers?
grimdon

Postby adrian » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:28 pm

The official Nvidia drivers (a little old but perfectly good) are now in the Debian repository, just an apt-get install away.
Try the non-free contrib repos in sources.list. Nouveau is too "new" to be free of bugs.
adrian

Postby ludomotico » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:32 pm

Some users reported that the nouveau driver (free software) has worst performance than the nvidia driver (proprietary software) Debian installs by default the nouveau driver due to their politics about free software. You can check the name of the current driver by inspecting the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log (look for nvidia, nv or nouveau) You can install the proprietary driver following these instructions: https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsD ... ary_Driver

Note: I don't know if this fixes your issue, but FlightGear seems to run better with the nvidia proprietary driver.
ludomotico

Postby grimdon » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:07 am

Thank you very much, gentlemen. Your advice solved my problem. The nouveau driver installed as default by Debian Wheezy was apparently at fault. I installed the nvidia driver by reference to the information in the link provided by ludomotico above without a hitch. My execution now looks and responds as expected.
grimdon

Postby ludomotico » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:01 am

Now, there are two things you may want to do to improve the execution of FlightGear: activate the PowerMizer and the FXAA.

The PowerMizer manages the power of your videocard. It sets the video card in a high performance mode when using a game like flightgear, and in low performance if you are using the desktop. In my experience, it is not that smart and it is better if you set the videocard in high performance mode manually. This way you gain 10-20% FPS. The FXAA activates hardware antialiasing on the videocard. This improves the scenery (except the menu labels, which will be a little harder to read!) and it has no cost on FPS.

You can activate both options in nvidia-settings (install if not in your system). I think these options are not saved, so you have to activate them each time you want to run flightgear.
ludomotico

Postby Hooray » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:12 am

we're already using the OpenGL-Vendor string to look for Intel/GMA cards to show a warning in the rendering dialog - maybe we should do the same thing whenever nouveau is detected ?
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Return to Compiling