Board index FlightGear Support Compiling

Problem building FG on Ubuntu 12.10

Building FlightGear from source, and in the need for help?

Problem building FG on Ubuntu 12.10

Postby TrueNorthist » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:08 am

Hi folks. I have been trying to build FG using the scripted compiliation described here: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Scripted_Com ... ian/Ubuntu

It keeps failing at 'Cloning openrti'.. fatal: unable to connect to gitorius.org. It says the connection timed out and network unreachable. Here is a screenshot of the terminal:

Any ideas? I am using the -s option, as well as -j 4 to take advantage of the i7 core cpu. Is it just a matter of waiting for a while longer? I have tried several times.
Flying on fumes
TrueNorthist

Callsign: CF-CZML
Version: 2020

Re: Problem building FG on Ubuntu 12.10

Postby TrueNorthist » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:22 pm

I discovered that ufw was blocking things so I shut it down and it's moving again. I am on a steep learning curve for both FG and Linux. I wasn't aware that openrti was simgear so I missed other posts on the topic.
Flying on fumes
TrueNorthist

Postby Hooray » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:29 pm

strictly speaking, openrti is not simgear, it's just another optional dependency for HLA support: http://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGear_H ... chitecture)

For the time being, you should be just fine building without HLA support.
Eventually, the idea is for HLA to replace the existing MP system and even increasingly distribute the FlightGear architecture such that more and more components can be more easily run in separate threads or even separate processes, possibly even on different machines. So this is going to be an important feature for professional users, using several computers and screens to create a comprehensive and immersive simulation environment.

At the moment, it's probably safe to say that HLA is only of interest to developers and people willing to play with experimental features.

Still, your problem is unlikely to be related to OpenRTI - it works here for me.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby TrueNorthist » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:01 pm

This is an incredibly steep learning curve for a computer novice like me. But I can't think of a better way to learn.
Flying on fumes
TrueNorthist

Postby TrueNorthist » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:07 pm

Well, it compiled and runs wonderfully. It took a few other steps to deal with a rendering issue (see here:http://flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=18964) and I still have to figure out how to use fgrun from terminal to select other aircraft etc, but the worst is over. I hope...
Flying on fumes
TrueNorthist

Postby TrueNorthist » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:04 am

Man, when ya finally get it figgered out and launch the beast it is such a feeling of accomplishment! Especially for a twit like me used to fixing things by banging on it with a hammer. Who needs a launcher anyway? lol Great sim.

Cheers!
Flying on fumes
TrueNorthist

Postby Hooray » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:53 am

congrats, seems indeed like you handled the steep learning curve quite well :D
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby TrueNorthist » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:02 pm

To be fair, the curve was steep only because I made it so by not using the Terminal for so long. GUIs are extremely addictive. FlightGear was the enticement I needed to take the next step.

"Mein Führer! I can walk!"
Flying on fumes
TrueNorthist

Postby Hooray » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:30 pm

you don't necessarily need to use a launcher at all.

Everything can be specified via startup arguments. But obviously that's a bit tedious, so a good compromise is using an fgfsrc file in $HOME/.fgfsrc - add all your custom default options there (use a separate line for each option) - and once you also set the $FG_ROOT environment variable, fgfs will start up with your defaults automatically.

To override some of your defaults, just specify them explicitly - i.e. --aircraft=c182p --airport=KLAS for example.

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Fgfsrc
http://wiki.flightgear.org/$FG_ROOT
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby TrueNorthist » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:16 pm

Thanks! I have been scrolling back in the terminal for the previous launch command and adjusting it as needed but a script would certainly be much better. Today's lesson will be to personalize the sample given here, then run it.
Flying on fumes
TrueNorthist

Postby Hooray » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:24 pm

TrueNorthist wrote in Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:16 pm:Thanks! I have been scrolling back in the terminal for the previous launch command and adjusting it as needed

Using bash, you only need to use the cursor keys to scroll through a history of previously executed commands. Use CTRL + R to access the history and search the buffer in reverse.

You can set up FG_ROOT in ~/.bashrc by appending:

Code: Select all
export FG_ROOT=YOUR_PATH_TO_FG_ROOT

The fgfsrc file will be searched for automatically, no need to set any environment variables.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby TrueNorthist » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:21 pm

That control+R search is gonna be a very usefull thing! Thanks, again. There is so much I have yet to discover with Ubuntu. Right now it's like trying to join in a conversation in a different language that I only just barely understand. Immersion is the best way to learn though. I have been ploughing through this and this today. Baby steps...
Flying on fumes
TrueNorthist

Return to Compiling