Board index FlightGear Support Compiling

Problem compiling FG on Kubuntu 12.04 64bit  Topic is solved

Building FlightGear from source, and in the need for help?

Problem compiling FG on Kubuntu 12.04 64bit  

Postby bishb25 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi all,

I'm building FG from current (9/2/2012) GIT sources. The first problem I had was simgear and flightgear not being able to find SVN client despite the fact that it is installed, but they both would compile with SVN disabled. I wanted to fix the SVN problem and found a thread here http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=16180
"sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsvn_client-1.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libsvn_client-1.so"
"sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsvn_subr-1.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libsvn_subr-1.so"
"sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsvn_ra-1.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libsvn_ra-1.so"
This fixed the SVN problem so I attempted to recompile both simgear and FG with SVN. Simgear worked fine but now FG gives an error at fgadmin.
Linking CXX executable fgadmin
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfltk.a(Fl_Preferences.o): undefined reference to symbol 'dlopen@@GLIBC_2.2.5'
/usr/bin/ld: note: 'dlopen@@GLIBC_2.2.5' is defined in DSO /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 so try adding it to the linker command line
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [utils/fgadmin/src/fgadmin] Error 1
make[1]: *** [utils/fgadmin/src/CMakeFiles/fgadmin.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
I found this thread http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=15581 and I tried adding
-DCMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS:STRING="/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2"
to my cmake command and reconfigure/recompile but compilation halts with the same error each time.
FWIW: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 is a symlink pointing to /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl-2.15.so

I could use some expert help, thanks.
Callsign: cncman
"The only thing smart about me... I know where to find the answers." I think?
bishb25

Version: GIT

Re: Problem compiling FG on Kubuntu 12.04 64bit

Postby sa7k » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:27 pm

I had also a problem with libfltk once when trying to compile in debian, so as a workaround I uninstalled libfltk which is only required for fgrun, and could compile flightgear. Then I installed FGo! from the repos, and I think you could also install fgrun and point it to your compiled flightgear install.
Of course it would be best to file a bug report about those libs and their incorrect paths. But in the meantime you can have it running.
sa7k

Callsign: LV-EPM
IRC name: sa7k
Version: git

Postby bishb25 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:02 am

Thanks sa7k,

I did so much fiddling around and installing so many libs trying to fix flightgear that I screwed up my brand new Kubuntu install. Instead of trying to fix it i just did a fresh install. This time I'm leaving out libfltk, fluid, and libinsighttoolkit and going to see what happens.
bishb25

Postby bishb25 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:24 am

Just an update:

I got flightgear to compile by not installing fluid and fltk. I did install libinsighttoolkit because OSG said it needed it. I looked up what exactly fgadmin is and realized that I didn't need it any way. Iv'e never used a GUI to install scenery before. So I suppose I could install fltk and compile fgrun if ever I felt so compelled. I would just disable fgadmin in cmake before compiling flightgear.
Something to think about... I successfuly compiled FlightGear the very first time with fltk and fluid installed, but I got so hung up on fixing the "LIBSVN NOT FOUND" problem that somewhere in beteewn compiling flightgear and fixing libsvn I borked my OS. It could be that everthing is fine with Kubuntu and fltk and flightgear, but the self-imposed damage to my system was the only reason flightgear wouldn't compile on subsequent attempts. I will never know for sure.

Thanks for checking out this thread. :D
bishb25

Postby bishb25 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:48 am

Code: Select all
 It could be that everthing is fine with Kubuntu and fltk and flightgear, but the self-imposed damage to my system was the only reason flightgear wouldn't compile

I just wanted to confirm that the problem was my borked OS and nothing to do with FG or Kubuntu or FLTK. For various reasons I needed to recompile flightgear and while I was at it decided test my fltk theory, and every thing worked great.
bishb25

Return to Compiling