Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Re: Regarding attitudes towards military aviation in Flightg

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Regarding attitudes towards military aviation in Flightgear

Poll ended at Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:32 am

Should nuclear bombs be allowed to be included in FlightGear?
50%
Or would they offend too many people and should be banned?
50%
I dunno
No votes

Total votes : 22

Postby jack » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:01 am

This really is thread hijacking, something you seem to do quite often. If you notice, my nuclear bomb is in very early development. Weather Changes, nuclear fallouts, toxic clouds, all will come in later releases. Have patience, you will get these features later on. ;)
For Military Aircraft, Scenery, and more, visit http://alphashangar.co.nr/

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Callsign: Alpha-J, Rescue1
Version: GIT

Postby Groucho » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:16 am

jackmermod wrote:This really is thread hijacking, something you seem to do quite often.

Sorry that it was not what you wanted to hear.
As I was responding to an on-topic statement by you, the thread was either hijacked by you first or the post was indeed topic related (which is about nukes).

If you notice, my nuclear bomb is in very early development. Weather Changes, nuclear fallouts, toxic clouds, all will come in later releases. Have patience, you will get these features later on. ;)

Wow, I had always thought you needed a super computer cluster like CyStorm to simulate this (http://www.physorg.com/news170073901.html). You´re a genious :)
Helis: EC130, Bo105, UH-1, R22
Twins/Jets: Aerostar, CRJ-200
Groucho

Callsign: D-HARP
Version: GIT

Postby Oliver » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:43 pm

Groucho wrote:Wow, I had always thought you needed a super computer cluster like CyStorm to simulate this (http://www.physorg.com/news170073901.html). You´re a genious :)

The weather simulation in FlightGear is already very simplified and by far in no way realistic.
Just compare it to real weather simulations that are run on super computers like the earth simulator 2.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Simulator

But the simplified weather simulation in FlightGear does do its job.

The same kind of simplification can be used for a simulation of a nuclear bomb explosion.
For example, we already have a way to add wind forces to an aircraft in FlightGear. The same system could be used by a nuclear bomb explosion by changing the wind forces values.
It's only a vector calculation of two forces, the force of the wind and the force of the wind that was initiated by the atomic bomb explosion.
So when the bomb explodes, it will have an effect on the aircraft.
This is feasible to implement in Flightgear.

So i don't see any problems with simplifications like that.
We always had simplifications in FlightGear all computer simulations do have this and we will always have them for ever.

Even a simplified destructible city for eye candy would be feasible, though it is a lot more work than the above mentioned addition to the weather system.
It would require to replace the 3d models in FlightGear in realtime by smaller black painted ones and adding a sort of movement to them. The above mentioned wind vector could be helpful for this.

Referring to the thread question i don't see a problem here in supporting both kinds of simulation, civil and military.
To please the pacifist a trigger would be all that is needed. A trigger that switches the FlightGear simulation mode between military and civil simulation and making the civil one the default active one.
Oliver

Previous

Return to The FlightGear project