Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

FlightGear & 9/11

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

FlightGear & 9/11

Postby Rick Ace » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:49 pm

How did the FlightGear community feel on that day? What was that day on FlightGear like?
Rick Ace

Callsign: rickace
Version: 2.6.0

Re: FlightGear & 9/11

Postby franek12354 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:03 pm

I relly dont know it will take 100 of years but i that will be cholografic interace :shock:
I like to fly around .. anywhere where air exits.
My favorite plane is B1900D
My FGCom and Flightgear indentify is FRA-001 (Foxtrot-Romeo-Alpha-One)
Anything else is classfied :)
franek12354

Callsign: FRA-001
Version: 2.8.0.5

Postby Sealbhach » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:22 pm

I thought what happened in Chile was very sad, but I was quite young then and didn't understand it very much.

Sealbhach

Postby curt » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:18 pm

Rick Ace wrote:How did the FlightGear community feel on that day? What was that day on FlightGear like?

I was out of town working (and I live a long way away from NY) but it was weird, surreal, stressful to listen to the news reports and wonder what would come next. My wife went and volunteered at ground zero a couple months later when they were still in the midst of the recovery and debris removal process. That had a tremendous affect on her and her entire view point of NY, the first responders, the recovery crews, the victims, and just about everything else. There was really not any official "flightgear" experience of the day ... this was a very real world occurrence. I'm sure everyone has different memories and experienced and processed the events differently. Any day 3000 people are murdered, no matter what the circumstances, is not a good day. It affected and shaped a lot of people and a lot of things subsequently.

Curt.
curt
Administrator

Postby Quadunit404 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:38 pm

I was in school that day... and back then, I was only eight. I didn't understand what was going on, naturally. All what I knew was that people died.

I still remember seeing the names of the nearly 3000 people who died on that day on the TV...
Quadunit404

Postby skyop » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:43 pm

Quadunit404 wrote:I was in school that day... and back then, I was only eight. I didn't understand what was going on, naturally. All what I knew was that people died.

Same. I remember being in... kindergarten, or was it first grade- and due to the situation it seemed nothing more than a typical little-kid rumor, ya' know?

Of course now I know it's one of the saddest and most shocking events in American history. R.I.P. 9/11 victims.
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop
Version: next

Postby nickyivyca » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:27 am

^I guess you're about my age then!

I don't remember much from the time. I just remember having flag shirts that my brother and I would wear flag shirts every September 11th after it. Nowadays, I just change my forum avatars to a US flag in memory of all of the lives lost, and keep it there for a week or so.
Personal Fleet: 787-8, CRJ-200, 737-300, MD-81, DHC-3A, Beechcraft Starship
New hangar!
Curent projects: New 787, New CRJ-200, DC-9, New 777-200ER FDM
nickyivyca

Callsign: Nick, ---206
Version: 2

Postby Lobosco » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:03 am

I remember being at the creche that day, and a mother came looking after her boy and asked the carer whether she had already heard about the two planes having crashed into the WTC. I literally thought she was kidding to scare us children, I couldn't believe that this really happened, and we made jokes about it like "Bush and Bin Laden are playing chess, who wins? Bin Laden, cause Bush lacks of both his towers". We were foolish brats, I was 9 then. Of course, as I later saw the images on TV, I had to believe...

In the retrospective, 9/11 marks the end of an era, the end of the 20th century, the end of hope after the end of the cold war. I would compare it to the fall of the Berlin wall, that was similarly outstanding, at least for Germany.

It's an incident we will surely talk about to our grand-children one day, and I am not sure, whether we will be proud of the things that araised of that date. The date 9/11 will forever be stuck at least in my head, and I'll always remember that day.

Lobosco

Disclaimer: Should I have hurt the feelings of anyone with the citation above, I truly apologize. I only mentioned the sentence to illustrate the day as I witnessed it.
"L'important, c'est pas la chute. C'est l'atterissage."
"It's not the fall that matters. It's the landing."
"Wichtig ist nicht der Fall, sondern die Landung."

--LA HAINE
Lobosco

Callsign: OS-2009 // Lobosco
Version: GIT

Postby Quadunit404 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:27 pm

Guess what day it is...
Quadunit404

Postby simbabeat » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:49 pm

I was still in school then. We got out of school early around lunchtime. Nobody really knew what was happening but every one knew there was some huge security breach. When I got home there were a bunch of family and friends huddled around the TV and a lot of people were crying and it was really a sad day. I remember a lot of people just walking around not knowing what was going to happen to our country. A sad sad day.

Cheers
simbabeat

Postby kyokoyama » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:00 am

Honestly, I don't remember this day, since I was really small... However, I can say that the reminiscence of that tragic day is always here today, and that alone is still depressing...

A belated "RIP" message to those who fell on 9/11...
Look for "B-BIRD" "N127KY" or "AVA0004" -that's me.

Despite having over 1700 posts here, I am not even close to being the most skilled guy here... I'm just words and bad drawing, not experience. :P
kyokoyama

Callsign: B-BIRD, N127KY
Version: 2.12.1

Postby DavidZhu » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:35 am

First grade, after care. I remember it very clearly

I lived in Edison, NJ back then, a good 40 miles away from Manhattan.

My mom usually picks me up at around 5-6 o clock from after-care (I was in first grade), but this time, she picked me up at 3:30. School ended at 3:15...

It wasn't only my mom, but many other parents picked up their kids even earlier.

My mom told me that the towers in NYC was attacked with airplanes.. my dad just switched out of the company based in NYC last month

When I got home, right when we were turning into our drive, I saw half the sky black.. then I knew how really bad it was

I got home and flipped on the TV, and there was footage on every channel...

I remember how the reporters were saying how hundreds of people were walking home from NY to NJ, instead of taking the train, because the rails were busted.

That day is so clear.... I still remember that I was coloring in a coloring book when my mom came in... and I was coloring a thanksgiving basket. :|

RIP for all those who passed that day
Try flying on the East Coast of the United States more often. There are many improved airports that people scarcely use. You might find me somewhere near JFK (or BWI, IAD, ATL, RIC, BOS...)

Fly safe.

-David Zhu (callsign = DavidZh or N48DZ)
DavidZhu

Callsign: DavidZh, N48DZ
Version: Git

Postby Rick Ace » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:52 pm

I don't know if my memory exaggerated or the sky was really as bad as I remember.
Rick Ace

Callsign: rickace
Version: 2.6.0

Postby timjschong » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:16 am

I don't remember it. At the time, I was 1 1/2 years into kinder, and I started at 2+. (I was four)
I suppose when I think of it now, it was quite a sad event, although it was probably the opposite for the Al Qaeda.
timjschong

Callsign: timothy
Version: 2

Postby LarsP » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:05 pm

Germans made also their experiences...
Me and my wife have been on holiday in the Dominican republic. On that specific day we made a trip to a "typical" village and had the opportunity to visit a "typical" dominican house, The house has several TV's and suddenly there was some kind of rumor. The children in the house were screaming in front of the TV and we made our way there just to see the second impact. At that moment none of us really realized what was happening, but the atmosphere really became strange. Back in our hotel I made my way to the TV and I spent the rest of the day watching CNN. I remember tears flooding my eyes as I say the WTC going down.
In the evening there was a lot of confusion going around what had happened. Nobody really knew if it was an accident or a terroristic attack. What was sure at that moment was, that all guest that were about to leave the next day were informed their flights had been canceled. The days passed by and we got information in little pieces. One week later, returning back to Germany we realized what tragedy happened in NYC that very day!
Still every 9/11 I feel sadness coming up when I think of all the people that died, got injured or lost someone...
In 2006 we made a short visit to New York for New Year's Eve and of course we visited Ground zero. And again the tears flooded up my eyes. I remember on picture that was shown there of a guy, covered with dust holding a piece of paper up. On this paper his blood-type was written. Recalling this picture to my memory makes me still shiver. I found it the most impressing pic I've ever seen, but unfortunately can't find it on the net - maybe someone can help...
I wish all the people experiencing a lost on that day all the best, strength and health.
Lars
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2550K
RAM: 16 GB DDR3
GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT430, 4096MB
LarsP

Callsign: D-LARS
Version: 2.0.0

Next

Return to The FlightGear project