Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

FAA certification

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

FAA certification

Postby packetmover » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:05 am

Hello all,

I've been compiling and running FG on Linux for years and think it is fantastic. Just bought the scenery disks yesterday - can't wait for em to get here.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about the status of getting FGFS certified by the FAA as a training device? I think that would be supremely cool, only the sourceforge project devoted to it seems to be nearly abandoned.

After trying out 2.0, I would have a hard time believing that certified simulators from even just 5 years ago would come even close to the level of realism that FGFS has.

Does anyone know what the status is on getting certified?

Thanks,

Markus AKA Packetmover
packetmover

Re: FAA certification

Postby Quadunit404 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:33 am

I read somewhere that a goal of FlightGear is FAA certification, but I cannot seem to find that anymore, so...
Quadunit404

Postby AndersG » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:17 am

Quadunit404 wrote:I read somewhere that a goal of FlightGear is FAA certification, but I cannot seem to find that anymore, so...

I think the FAA certifications for training devices are applied to a specific combination of hardware (input and output devices) and software. I seem to recall that there is at least one such certified product that is using FlightGear for some parts, and if things haven't changed I believe there are at least two other projects aiming to produce such a product partially based on FlightGear.

Cheers,

Anders
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby Gijs » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:59 pm

You can buy a FAA approved simulator - that parly uses FlightGear - yourself: http://www.atcflightsim.com/, if you can afford it ;)
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Quadunit404 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:57 pm

Looks a lot like a highly customized FlightGear 1.9.1 build to me.

Quadunit404

Postby Gijs » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:12 pm

Quadunit404 wrote:Looks a lot like a highly customized FlightGear 1.9.1 build to me.

They sell various sims, not just FlightGear. If you look at the pages, you will see some shots with clear FlightGear scenery ;)
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby packetmover » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:58 pm

Thank you guys!

I always struggle for words to tell people about how cool FG is, being able to say it gets used in FAA approved training devices is pretty cool. I've been telling and showing family and friends about it for years now. It's just nice to be able to talk about it as a real training tool rather than just a really cool game(not that it's ever been just a game to me).

Thanks for the info!
packetmover

Return to The FlightGear project