Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Regarding attitudes towards military aviation in Flightgear

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Re: Regarding attitudes towards military aviation in Flightgear

Postby Canseco » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:34 pm

redneck wrote:Well, there have been observational studies concluding that there is a strong correlation between violence in RL and virtual violence. However, correlation does not mean causation. Only a controlled experiment of some sort would yield conclusive results, however that would probably cross some ethical lines. But I think we already established that, and that by simulating this sort of thing we are not hurting anyone unless we start recreating war crimes and such.

Violent Video Games Help Relieve, Stress, Depression, Says TAMIU Professor

http://www.tamiu.edu/newsinfo/7-08-10/article5.shtml
System specs:
AMD Ahtlon 64 X2 Dual Core 2.2 GHz, ASUS M2N4-SLI,3 GB DDR2 800 MHz
Nvidia GT240 1GB 1440x900, 25-30 fps
Canseco

Callsign: Canseco
Version: Git

Postby Groucho » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:14 pm

Canseco wrote:
redneck wrote:Well, there have been observational studies concluding that there is a strong correlation between violence in RL and virtual violence. However, correlation does not mean causation. Only a controlled experiment of some sort would yield conclusive results, however that would probably cross some ethical lines. But I think we already established that, and that by simulating this sort of thing we are not hurting anyone unless we start recreating war crimes and such.

Violent Video Games Help Relieve, Stress, Depression, Says TAMIU Professor

http://www.tamiu.edu/newsinfo/7-08-10/article5.shtml

Not to forget that Professor Groucho says after doing some research that flight simulators put stress on the players as they are constantly putting themselves under pressure of complex flight operations. Frequent failures and missed approaches as well as visiting the correlative forums lead to various depressional symptoms thus not reliefing the virtual pilot. :shock:
We should better play more violent games :D

Update:
It looks as if the humor detector of readers might not be able to send out an appropriate alert for this post so I added some smileys to help calibration.
Last edited by Groucho on Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helis: EC130, Bo105, UH-1, R22
Twins/Jets: Aerostar, CRJ-200
Groucho

Callsign: D-HARP
Version: GIT

Postby Armchair Ace » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:49 pm

:roll: Give it a rest, will you?
Member of the FlightGear Flying Club

Current Projects :
Miscellaneous texture and sound work
Armchair Ace

Callsign: G-ATPF
IRC name: ArmchairAce

Postby Groucho » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:48 pm

Armchair Ace wrote::roll: Give it a rest, will you?

Looks like I have encountered a first symptom of stress and sensibilities :o
Must be the absence of smilies which leads to a failure of your humor detector. I will fix this immediately ;)

For a more serious aspect (slightly off-topic): It sprang to my mind that to relief or relax from daily stress there propably is nothing more inappropriate than entering a virtual cockpit. Simulating the complex and stressful daily work of others (pilots) is propably not suited to relief from ones own daily work. It is more like changing from one job to the other. Just a thought.
Groucho

Postby stuart » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:10 pm

Well, I thought it was quite funny...

Continuing off topic, it's an interesting slant on the differences between Flight Simming and gaming.

Personally I'll use either after a hard day at work, looking for a way to immerse myself and forget about real life. However, I generally won't try some hard instrument approach but something that just requires some decent hand-eye coordination and which provides an objective short-term goal. Carrier landings are a particular favourite, but circuits in a warbird or a taildragger also work.

I suspect that's because those tasks are pretty close to treating as a game, requiring a fairly short period of intense concentration, rather than an IFR flight that requires a longer period of care and attention.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby Canseco » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:21 pm

Groucho wrote:Not to forget that Professor Groucho says after doing some research that flight simulators put stress on the players as they are constantly putting themselves under pressure of complex flight operations. Frequent failures and missed approaches as well as visiting the correlative forums lead to various depressional symptoms thus not reliefing the virtual pilot. :shock:
We should better play more violent games :D

Update:
It looks as if the humor detector of readers might not be able to send out an appropriate alert for this post so I added some smileys to help calibration.

Professor Groucho, i need to go to WC to throw a nuke, haha.

I'm just tired to see people saying video games are the cause of their bad actions, when it's clear that this depends on education.
There are some exceptions, like people with mental disorders, but this world is not perfect anyway, ;)

Sorry for off topic.
System specs:
Canseco

Postby Groucho » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:03 pm

Canseco wrote:Professor Groucho, i need to go to WC to throw a nuke, haha.

Well, it seems you have the perfect right to do that kind of business on your WC which fits best to you (and your age, of course) :P

I'm just tired to see people saying video games are the cause of their bad actions, when it's clear that this depends on education.
There are some exceptions, like people with mental disorders, but this world is not perfect anyway, ;)

There indeed is some correlation but it is not that strong as some people might suggest. It is true that most of the late amok college kids extensively played first person shooters of the worst kind with a high violence factor and watched horror videos. However they also took the bus to school and had tea for breakfast so according to that we might be looking for someone drinking tea before entering the bus to prevent such form of violence.
That would also in reverse mean that all guys visiting LAN parties playing FarCry are suspicious.
I can however imagine that media violence has a supportive aspect for people who already have that tendency towards violent actions- who already suffer from hate, fear and anger. Games act then as a multiplicator- sometimes in the reliefing, sometimes in the extreme direction.
Groucho

Postby Vodoun da Vinci » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:52 pm

stuart wrote:Personally I'll use either after a hard day at work, looking for a way to immerse myself and forget about real life. However, I generally won't try some hard instrument approach but something that just requires some decent hand-eye coordination and which provides an objective short-term goal. Carrier landings are a particular favourite, but circuits in a warbird or a taildragger also work.

Me too. I love coming home and firing up the FW 190 or a Bf 109 (my liveries, my AI scenario, my hacked FDM) and being attacked by 12 Spitfires at 20,000 feet running 240 knots that have the ability to shoot back and out maneuver me because they *DiDn'T* have a tough day at work and don't have to contend with blackout by excessive G forces. :lol:

I like the Warbirds and I like the military applications with Bombable Script. I actually got popped (shot hard enough to get the '109 smoking and handling rough) the other night. Very challenging and very much suited to an aging martial arts teacher who needs a challenge to his spirit and reflexes.

I fly military and I like serious ACM action. It's not a game with me...it's a martial art. If others have a disimilar opinion I relish it. Flying airliners I'm good at but it's boring. Going head to head with a 'Spit shooting back at 18,000 feet is terrifying and challenging but it puts the stress into perspective and clears the spirit.

I'm a virtual fighter pilot and I'm proud of it. It's how I enjoy FGFS and use the software to it's fullest.

VooDoo
FGFS version 2.4.0 on Windows 7
Primarily Flying Warbirds, Jet and Prop - Visit: http://www.fguk.eu
VooDoo's FGFS/FGUK Movies!: http://www.youtube.com/user/VooDoodaVinci?feature=mhee
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
A. Einstein
Vodoun da Vinci
Retired

Postby jack » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:12 am

My plans with the Nuclear bomb are to implement it with the B-29, and create WWII era bomber defense scenarios. Having the B-29 actually have the payload makes the scenario just that more realistic. I've been experimenting around with AI models and have found a way to make them release submodels(ordinance) by themselves. It works pretty rough, and is pretty new in it's development.
For Military Aircraft, Scenery, and more, visit http://alphashangar.co.nr/

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Callsign: Alpha-J, Rescue1

Postby Canseco » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:01 pm

Groucho wrote:Well, it seems you have the perfect right to do that kind of business on your WC which fits best to you (and your age, of course) :P

From a joke i made your are able to know my age? As a diviner, you are not very good, ;)

Groucho wrote:There indeed is some correlation but it is not that strong as some people might suggest. It is true that most of the late amok college kids extensively played first person shooters of the worst kind with a high violence factor and watched horror videos. However they also took the bus to school and had tea for breakfast so according to that we might be looking for someone drinking tea before entering the bus to prevent such form of violence.
That would also in reverse mean that all guys visiting LAN parties playing FarCry are suspicious.
I can however imagine that media violence has a supportive aspect for people who already have that tendency towards violent actions- who already suffer from hate, fear and anger. Games act then as a multiplicator- sometimes in the reliefing, sometimes in the extreme direction.

Kids should not have access to real weapons. I was very shocked when i saw parents teaching how to use them, but i was more impressed to know that they didn't keep them in a secure box...
System specs:
Canseco

Postby jack » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Why shouldn't kids be able to use weapons? As a kid, me and my dad would go recreational shooting all the time, and I had fun. I joined boy scouts, and started entering competitions with everything from .22 Rifles to 12 Guage Tactical Shotguns to .357 Magnums. I had a lot of fun competing, and see no reason why it wouldn't be a good idea.(unless the kid has a mental disability, or is dangerous by nature)
Last edited by jack on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Postby xiii » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:45 pm

Regarding attitudes towards military aviation in Flightgear ;-) Isn't that's what is written in the topic ??

Beyond all the the fun we get in flying low and fast, or in drilling ACM, modeling military aviation opens a brand new area in stunning aircraft performances and completely different aircraft systems.

Now guys, please, let some relief to the poor, innocent, and very-very humble boy scouts as we couldn't do anything without them !

Alexis
If the engines are Pratt and Whitney, the seats best be Martin Baker
xiii

Postby jack » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:52 pm

xiii wrote:poor boy scouts

Do you really have to put an indirect insult into all of your posts?

jack
Retired

Postby xiii » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:14 pm

Please, don't misunderstand me, there is no offense here, and if there is one, please be sure I'm really sorry :-)

I know you like that, but really, I do not want to insult you :-D

Or maybe you intend to fordid friendly sense of humour in our forum ?

Alexis
xiii

Postby xiii » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:21 pm

And by the way I didn't know boys scouts were heavily armed. Or is it a new deviant fantasy ?
(Mods, sorry this one is off topic, but it worth the fun answering)

Alexis
xiii

PreviousNext

Return to The FlightGear project