Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Regarding attitudes towards military aviation in Flightgear

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Re: Regarding attitudes towards military aviation in Flightgear

Postby xiii » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:40 pm

Groucho wrote:
Algernon wrote: But lately the military fraction has grown and wantin to engage in military conflicts.

Hey, I really don't think that the majority of military aircraft fans fraction in Flightgear community is focused on war games, neither in history replays.
But, yes, our work may have worked like an honey pot, and I'm sorry about that.
My 2 cents,
Alexis
If the engines are Pratt and Whitney, the seats best be Martin Baker
xiii

Postby Algernon » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:41 pm

I think I've been misquoted there, not that there's anything wrong with what was said, but that was actually what Groucho said. Please be careful using quotes! :) For the record, I pretty much don't fly anything other than the Eurofighter Typhoon these days as I'm constantly working on it, I don't have an issue with military aircraft in FG, what I have an issue with is warlike behaviour on MP.

Groucho, I will respond to you, but I don't quite have the time right now to consider your post properly and write a reasoned response. But I will :)
Algernon
FGUK - A FlightGear community in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland
Algernon

Callsign: G-ALGY
Version: 3.0

Postby jack » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:41 am

Groucho wrote:So this would be the place where people could play "kill the jews in concentration camps" scenarios as well as have fun with all sorts of war crimes ?

Yes if I wanted to, I could simulate killing jews and there wouldn't be a single thing you could do about it. Same thing with nuclear weapons, 2000lb bombs, .50 cal tracers, Nike Missiles, Aim-9's, 30mm cannons, and any other weapons I can think of could be simulated and potentially enjoyed without a consideration of your relentless and contradicting moral arguments and grief against anything military related due to what seems to be an obsession with WWII bombings and the holocaust.

Personally, I don't 'play' 'war games'. I fly, simulate, gather data, and learn. This is what is amazing about the human race. We can take information, and break it down and learn from it, and we can use this information and apply it to something else and make theories, proposals, and conclusions using processes such as the scientific method. This is one way I use flightgear. I also use flightgear to simulate what it would be like if I were flying the A-10, F-14B, MiG-15, SR-71, P-38 and other aircraft that I know I will probably never get to fly in my lifetime. Simulation is a great tool, and I don't think it is right to in any way restrict the limits of ones ability to use the simulator for whatever way they see fit. What I do believe can be restricted, is one's ability to direct slanderous content directly at an individual via Multiplayer Chat. This is a completely different matter though, and I will leave any further statements concerning thus out of this discussion.
jack
Retired

Callsign: Alpha-J, Rescue1
Version: GIT

Postby Groucho » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:23 am

jack wrote:
Groucho wrote:So this would be the place where people could play "kill the jews in concentration camps" scenarios as well as have fun with all sorts of war crimes ?

Yes if I wanted to, I could simulate killing jews and there wouldn't be a single thing you could do about it. Same thing with nuclear weapons, 2000lb bombs, .50 cal tracers, Nike Missiles, Aim-9's, 30mm cannons, and any other weapons I can think of could be simulated and potentially enjoyed without a consideration of your relentless and contradicting moral arguments and grief against anything military related due to what seems to be an obsession with WWII bombings and the holocaust.

Ah yes, it has already been noticed that reflecting about moral standpoints and consequences of actions ends where personal enjoyment is affected. Which then leads into further allegations.

Personally, I don't 'play' 'war games'. I fly, simulate, gather data, and learn. This is what is amazing about the human race. We can take information, and break it down and learn from it, and we can use this information and apply it to something else and make theories, proposals, and conclusions using processes such as the scientific method. This is one way I use flightgear. I also use flightgear to simulate what it would be like if I were flying the A-10, F-14B, MiG-15, SR-71, P-38 and other aircraft that I know I will probably never get to fly in my lifetime. Simulation is a great tool, and I don't think it is right to in any way restrict the limits of ones ability to use the simulator for whatever way they see fit. What I do believe can be restricted, is one's ability to direct slanderous content directly at an individual via Multiplayer Chat. This is a completely different matter though, and I will leave any further statements concerning thus out of this discussion.

[/quote]

Nobody, and I once again repeat myself, takes your right to fly with whatever plane you feel appropriate to live your personal dream. We all around here do this one way or the other.
However if you talk about simulation and scientific methods then it is not suitable to restrict that to one side of the coin. Throwing a bomb on an existing town only to watch it explode is not simulating nor does it comply with scientific methods. Physically maybe yes, historically no. To simulate the first aspect people do not need to reenact a specific scenario but could test this on a bombing range. For the second aspect there is no way to scientifically accomplish this in FlightGear.
Helis: EC130, Bo105, UH-1, R22
Twins/Jets: Aerostar, CRJ-200
Groucho

Callsign: D-HARP
Version: GIT

Previous

Return to The FlightGear project