Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Flight Pro Sim - Real Life Flying

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Re: Flight Pro Sim - Real Life Flying

Postby jack » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:15 am

mike4lin wrote:Why not put some small piece of closed code in FGFS which makes it impossible to hijack?

Examples of this can be found in big name software such as Photoshop or Microsoft Word, and it prevents people from changing the software. The problem with putting that in flightgear is that it would no longer be open source if it can not be edited. It's a good idea, but due to license restrictions, we are unable to.
For Military Aircraft, Scenery, and more, visit http://alphashangar.co.nr/

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Callsign: Alpha-J, Rescue1
Version: GIT

Postby Quadunit404 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:21 am

*Ahem* ...Gentlemen?

78 or so of the 85 updates have been installed. All what's left is for me to finish installing them, reboot, install the VirtualBox guest additions, reboot, install Visual C++ 2008 and move the new launch control source from my physical PC to Windows XP. I should be able to begin hacking sometime this week or next week.

I'll work on de-FPS-ing the new launch control less frequently than I normally would, to avoid interfering with the unrevealed yet proposed development schedule for DHC-7 development. It probably won't be available until after Nick and I get a working DHC-7 out.
Quadunit404

Postby jack » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:35 am

I'm impressed. So, once you de-FPS it, what are you going to do with the launch control? :? Have you run the launch control yet? Is it any different/better than the current launch control?

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Postby Quadunit404 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:12 am

Haven't done anything with it yet. Windows Update apparently failed to complete and broke several things, so I need to wait for it to complete again.

Also, my plans for when it is built and with all FPS stuff removed is to import it to my Windows 7 installation, install it and FlightGear and measure how much of an impact it has. If it doesn't have much I'll put it on MediaFire and allow other people to download it. If not, I'll keep hacking it until it leaves a minimal impact on performance.
Quadunit404

Postby mike4lin » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:42 am

jackmermod wrote:
mike4lin wrote:Why not put some small piece of closed code in FGFS which makes it impossible to hijack?

Examples of this can be found in big name software such as Photoshop or Microsoft Word, and it prevents people from changing the software. The problem with putting that in flightgear is that it would no longer be open source if it can not be edited. It's a good idea, but due to license restrictions, we are unable to.

Nobody would care about a small, separate download. As long as it separated, the main code could remain gpl. Maybe as dll/shared lib alike many already needed for FGFS.
mike4lin

Postby i4dnf » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:06 am

jackmermod wrote:Ok, I sent an email to Mr. "Charlie Taylor" and have posted the message string below:

First Message wrote:Hello "Charlie Taylor",
I would like to be provided with proof that you have registered a trademark ... required to provide proof of a Trademark and/or Patent upon request.

Regards,
Jack

Charlie Taylor's reply wrote:Hi Jack,

This is not a registered trademark....

Charlie

My reply wrote:Hi Charlie,
In statements on your site, such as the below quoted:

"FlightProSim™ is a trademark and can not be used without express permission by FlightProSim.com, or it's subsidiaries"

You are acclaiming a trademark. This is a violation of international law and it will not be accepted. In order to avoid prosecution, you must remove statements similar to the above quoted.

Regards,
Jack

Actually, he is right, if he is using TM (trademark), he has every right to do so... without having it registered with any patent/marks office. On the other hand, if he was using (R) (REGISTERED TRADEMARK), he would have had to register it, not necessarily with the USPTO, but with any similar entity from any other state.
i4dnf
Retired

Callsign: YR-I4D

Postby skyop » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:19 pm

Quadunit404 wrote:I'll work on de-FPS-ing the new launch control less frequently than I normally would, to avoid interfering with the unrevealed yet proposed development schedule for DHC-7 development. It probably won't be available until after Nick and I get a working DHC-7 out.

As far as I can tell, the new "Launch Control" was a clear cut-and-paste job and is incomplete, if runnable at all. Take a look at the source, you'll see what I mean.
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop
Version: next

Postby Quadunit404 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:26 pm

Just shows how great of a C++ programmer this guy is. No wonder why he didn't create a custom simulation engine and instead largely based it off of FlightGear.
Quadunit404

Postby skyop » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:36 pm

Quadunit404 wrote:Just shows how great of a C++ programmer this guy is. No wonder why he didn't create a custom simulation engine and instead largely based it off of FlightGear.

As a matter of fact, he and his "team" don't have any programming experience at all. Here's a quote from the mailing list:
FlightProSim.com [flightgear-devel mailing list] wrote:...as we can not code in house hopefully our contribution of money will help the project.

(Their "contribution," by the way, was their $250 October developer's contest that has been ignored by the FlightGear devs.)
skyop

Postby jack » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:47 pm

skyop wrote:
As a matter of fact, he and his "team" don't have any programming experience at all. Here's a quote from the mailing list:
FlightProSim.com [flightgear-devel mailing list] wrote:...as we can not code in house hopefully our contribution of money will help the project.

Can I have a link to that edition of the mailing list? I'd like to read everything Flightprosim.com wrote. :)

jack
Retired

Postby skyop » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:50 pm

jackmermod wrote:Can I have a link to that edition of the mailing list? I'd like to read everything Flightprosim.com wrote. :)

Here you go- knock yourself out. ;)
skyop

Postby jack » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:57 pm

After a bit of toying around, I was able to get access to the "Members Area" flightprosim.com/members/help/category/aircraft/ :)
Last edited by Gijs on Fri May 25, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No direct links please.

jack
Retired

Postby skyop » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:07 pm

Not exactly- that's just their impossible-to-find help page. ;)
skyop

Postby Quadunit404 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:36 pm

At least it actually GIVES you help and doesn't just tell you what the feature supposedly does, unlike the help pages of a certain company *coughGooglecough*
Quadunit404

Postby Quadunit404 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:39 am

I just gained some WHOIS information about this guy. I can now confirm that his claimed address is true. The domain flightprosim.com will also expire in 2013 - so he has about three years left to scam people.
Quadunit404

PreviousNext

Return to The FlightGear project