Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Anyone hear of this?

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Re: Anyone hear of this?

Postby snowmanf » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:37 pm

Personally I dislike it when a company or individual sells something like this for a price similar to commercial sware regardless of their claimed right to do so. I must say though that you cant really criticise someone charging a reasonable fee for this like in that ebay ad so long as the apropriate licences are made clear and retained. Also they can use images from the game itself. If they are including add-ons not released under the same license or one which similarly allows said distribution, that would be an issue.

In practice who would pursue the legal issue?
You would have to have cause and means which effectively eliminates most proponents.

If the said company or individual is however misrepresenting something, such as presenting it as their own software, then just about anyone could make a complaint to the appropriate government agency dealing with trading standards, keeping in mind the jurusdiction implied by the location of the sale/advert.

If you dont want companies to use your creations issue them under different terms.
As the creator the t/c are completely up to you.

If they ignored it you could put them in a bad situation then of having to withdraw their products.
snowmanf

Postby Roland » Tue May 04, 2010 10:30 pm

if we obtain copy of FPS maybe we re-distribute that as fg?
Roland

Postby simbabeat » Wed May 05, 2010 12:14 am

Why don't you just download FlightGear and re-distribute that?
simbabeat

Postby rsotaccs » Wed May 05, 2010 12:48 am

simbabeat wrote:Why don't you just download FlightGear and re-distribute that?

Maybe because he wants to reveal scam and investigate if Mr. Charles Taylor has put some effort into the code, as they say so in an email here on the forum, or just copied it? Or give it back to them (the scam) the same way?
Active again! Sometimes... // BRASIL
rsotaccs

Callsign: PT-RSB
IRC name: PT-RSB
Version: 111219

Postby simbabeat » Wed May 05, 2010 1:12 am

I would actually be interesting to see if he has many changes. Everyone has expressed the feeling that he probably hasn't. When you launch FlightProSim the window is actually called FlightGear.
simbabeat

Postby Quadunit404 » Sat May 08, 2010 1:46 am

simbabeat wrote:I would actually be interesting to see if he has many changes. Everyone has expressed the feeling that he probably hasn't. When you launch FlightProSim the window is actually called FlightGear.

Way to fail in editing the source to make the window title read "Flight Pro Sim" rather than "FlightGear" :wink:

Unless all what he did was download the installer for 1.9.0, burn it to a disc, and repacakge it as "Flight Pro Sim" without even touching the source.
Quadunit404

Postby simbabeat » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:04 pm

Just browsing the internets today and saw a FlightProSim ad. As you can see in the pic, I also looked around on their website for the first time in a while. He seems to have made some changes.

simbabeat

Postby JcHnd » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:39 pm

I was just searching in google for our beloved FPS and i can see there is a lot of spaming about it... the kind of spam some lose weight products use for sell their stuff... like making weird pages that only contains an article about their product...
Live Your Life, The Way You Are!!! Image

My Liveries Site:
http://jchnd.blogspot.com/
JcHnd

Callsign: HR-JCL
Version: 2

Postby Jak_o_Shadows » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:41 am

Who buys something without googling it first?
Jak_o_Shadows

Callsign: Jak_o_Flight

Postby simbabeat » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:17 pm

You would be surprised.
simbabeat

Postby kyokoyama » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:36 am

Sadly, yep...

Anyways, I don't get it; why is everyone against a license change?
Look for "B-BIRD" "N127KY" or "AVA0004" -that's me.

Despite having over 1700 posts here, I am not even close to being the most skilled guy here... I'm just words and bad drawing, not experience. :P
kyokoyama

Callsign: B-BIRD, N127KY
Version: 2.12.1

Postby Gijs » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:12 pm

There's no need to repeat what's been said over and over again, but FlightGear got this far thanks to its license. Keep that in mind ;)
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby zakalawe » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:21 pm

kyokoyama wrote:why is everyone against a license change?

Not a single person who's contributed code is in favour of changing the license - we're GPL, everyone contributing to the code knows that, understands the license, and is comfortable with it. Naturally FlightGear is more than just the code, but the GPL works as intended for source code - if the FPS guy makes improvements, he's obliged to contribute them. As Gijs said, being open has got us where we are, and will continue to regardless of how many people get suckered into buying FPS.
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby kyokoyama » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:45 pm

That was my understanding for both GPL and CC...

...but upon even further reading, I think I vaguely understood your thoughts for GPL over CC...
Sorry, please disregard that last comment.
Look for "B-BIRD" "N127KY" or "AVA0004" -that's me.

Despite having over 1700 posts here, I am not even close to being the most skilled guy here... I'm just words and bad drawing, not experience. :P
kyokoyama

Callsign: B-BIRD, N127KY
Version: 2.12.1

Postby Quadunit404 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:19 am

Personally I prefer the BSD license as it's GPL compatible AND it requires that you retain it if you choose to modify whatever's licensed under it, therefore meaning that any attempts at copyright infringement are nullified before they're even attempted :wink:
Quadunit404

PreviousNext

Return to The FlightGear project