Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Flightgear on low computer

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Flightgear on low computer

Postby Anysajmon » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:19 am

I cant run the newer versions without lag so i am finding solutions to run fg on low pc.
I would be glad if you can suggest me some older versions or other fixes to make FG run smoother and faster.
Here are my specs:
CPU-Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G3900T @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
RAM-4GB
(i just looked in system if its unclear)

Simon
Anysajmon

Re: Flightgear on low computer

Postby TheEagle » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:39 am

Do you also have a GPU ? On Linux you can use this command to find out:
Code: Select all
lspci  | grep -i VGA

First of all I'd lower the LOD ranges in Menu -> View -> LOD settings. If that doesn't help, playing around with the settings in Menu -> View -> Graphics settings (select Custom profile) -> Advanced Settings. Following is only vaiid if you are using a nightly build (version 2020.4.0) - for older versions just put the sliders to the left. First of all I'd set Terrain quality to Medium (or Low), lower the random vegetation density to maybe Medium, switch off OSM pylons, roads and buildings and Random scenery objects. Lowering your cloud visbility range and density might also help.

Following is again for all FG versions:
If all of the above didn't increase the performance enough, switch off ALS in the Graphics Settings - it should increase framerates by 50 to 100 percent, but the sim will only look half as nice as before.
Additionally, you can try flying in light scenery such as at FHAW (I also have a low spec PC, and this one is my "testing" airport where I always go when I just want to test something with an aircraft, and don't want to go to a special place) and with lighter aircraft - try for example the C208B and Mudry CAP10.
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby Anysajmon » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:48 am

Thanks for your reply TheEagle, im gonna look into it.
Mine GPU is Intel(R) HD Graphics 510.

Simon
Anysajmon

Postby TheEagle » Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:10 pm

Oh well, I found a website saying that your type of GPU "can run most modern video games at lowest possible settings" - so I think, if you want better frame rates with nice looks, there's no way around a hardware upgrade (a much better GPU, and while I'm at it I'd also get more RAM - 8 GB is the minimum, else you'll need to create a SWAP partition on your hard disk, which is much slower than a RAM). Try playing with the aforementioned settings first - maybe you can find a compromise between quality and low FPS.
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby Anysajmon » Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:48 pm

Again thanks for reply. I do not need nice graphics. I love flight sims and i got flight joystick but didnt ever used it because i had fps problems with almost all flight sims so again thanks for help !

Simon
Anysajmon

Return to The FlightGear project