Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Cooperation/Co-thinking undesirable

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Cooperation/Co-thinking undesirable

Postby RaMat » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:38 pm

- "How the project works" -
Yeah, that's exactly what I've been wondering meanwhile !

Moin!

I may assume that some of the people whose feet people presumably have to kiss in order to be allowed to do something in this forum already understand the greeting. Actually, it is more than far from my intention to introduce myself with my usual pointed pen, but I have never experienced anything like this in decades of membership in a wide variety of forums. I will spare myself details, but not even a paltry signature is possible for me to put; let alone anything else. I don't understand this strange "bug-tracking" either. By some (presumably) coincidence, I was once able to place a message there, which, most interestingly, without any action on my part, was declared to be done by me a few hours later, wao!?...Honestly, I just find it ridiculous now. There may be valid reasons for some
of it. But it would be extremely helpful if these were also communicated somewhere and an explanation given as to how what is to be dealt with in concrete terms?

Since this is obviously too much to ask, briefly just the following bugs: (so that they do not get lost)

1. the airport ENSG, Sogndal, NOR, is ejected in the MP when using the NAV function as Henderson Field, God's praised land, out of service. Navi aids & co for it (ENSG!) are interestingly displayed correctly.

2. At the EDWO, OS-Atterheide, (GER) it is the case that an aircraft is correctly displayed at the start of the active RWY (when looking out of the cockpit window) during sim take-off, whereas on the map Phi, for example, it is displayed considerably offset to the ESE. After a few hundred metres of taxiing towards the tower, in real (simulator) life you are standing on the corresponding apron, but on the map you are still in Wallachia. The same shift applies, of course, to all pre-planned parking positions of the well-developed small airport.
In the MP, the AP and depending RWY is also shifted in the same direction; with the same wrong results.

I had taken the trouble to illustrate and label all this nicely, as I am currently only beginning to understand the "FlightGear system". After the already mentioned (well-intentioned!) first attempt to correct a mistake, I had to realise that I had not kissed any feet or rings and therefore have no right to denounce any malfunctions - although that was far from my mind(!) AND, of course no right to upload any pictures as well!

I actually thought - obviously once again in my "youthful recklessness" - that it would be important here, especially in view of the
enormous scope of the project, that cooperation takes place..... Probably a mistake, since so far I have only been able to detect blocking where possible - with Billy Boy Gate's competing product this would not have surprised me......but here?

Now I'm curious if at least this will pass as a post? But then it will probably turn out that at best I have 400 characters here, like in Bezos Company sites....oddr? Oh ne, lucky!

A lot of lovely greetings!
RaMat

Callsign: D-RAMA
Version: 2020.3.6

Re: Cooperation/Co-thinking undesirable

Postby Hooray » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:43 pm

Hi & "welcome",

not sure what this is all about or what exactly happened to you (?) ... but you're right, most problems tend to disappear magically once you have been doing enough networking :lol:

Either way, if the bug tracker/forum or mailing list isn't working for you, you can also use the wiki edit collect stuff there and merely post a link to the wiki elsewhere.
To be honest however, the bug tracker isn't exactly well maintained - so, I would not interpret too much into things that happen over there (or that don't)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Thorsten » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:53 pm

but I have never experienced anything like this in decades of membership in a wide variety of forums.

Not sure what you mean - says this is your first post, so what did you experience in the forum prior to it?

I actually thought - obviously once again in my "youthful recklessness" - that it would be important here, especially in view of the
enormous scope of the project, that cooperation takes place.....

Yes - so how's your post written in a collaborative spirit?
Thorsten

Postby D-ECHO » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:34 am

Good day RaMat,

you seem to bring a lot of anger with you, which is, in my opinion, neither helping you nor the project. As you might have noticed, nobody yet has answered to your content-wise questions, which I think is due to the fact that by using the polemical and partly aggressive writing you use, people are feeling rightly offended, which is what conversations then tend to focus on instead of the original issues. That's why it'd be in your best interest to separate anger from content, also keeping in mind that there's no reason why people would 'hate' you or want something bad on you, so most probably whatever discouraging you experienced was either a technical problem, a misunderstanding or an innocent mistake.

To focus on the issues you want to report, even though the line "Since this is obviously too much to ask" really doesn't encourage me to try and help you:

1. I don't understand what you are trying to say. Please try and explain exactly what you do (e.g. start the launcher, go to the location tab, select X airport), what you expect to happen and what actually happens. "ejected in MP" (assuming you mean multiplayer) is a phrase that I can't connect anything with

2. The terrain (including landclasses, elevation, streets, rivers, railroads and airport layouts) that FlightGear currently ships via TerraSync (what is turned on when you select Automatic Scenery Download) is currently relatively old, as it is a huge effort with the current toolset to rebuild the entire world (and rebuilding only smaller chunks most of the time results in visible seams which is why custom sceneries tend to stay exactly that, custom). Therefor, the most probably explanation to that issue is that the airport layout used when building the current world scenery at that time was incorrect, i.e. shifted relative to the real world, so when you are exactly on the runway in FG, you may be off by quite a lot when looking at a 'real' map (which is what both the MPmap as well as phi does: display your coordinates on a real-world map).

Regards
Echo
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Return to The FlightGear project