Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Why can't I find drone models?

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Why can't I find drone models?

Postby omnibus1 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:46 pm

Hallo,

Flightgear is a great. And though I like to fly different aircrafts in my real life it is unfortunately (or rather fortunately?) unlikely that I can put my hands on a Boeing 737 or even an F-22. Much more likely in real life is that many people can become an UAV-Pilot for one of these more or less expensive multi- mostly quadro-copter drones with photographing and many more features one can buy at Ebay, Amazon or where ever.

It would be great if one could train on them in Flightgear, because wrecking a number of them in real life could be expensive (especially with third party damage). In fact that would be very useful for real life.

So I wonder why I cannot find models for such drones. Nobody built such models. I cannot unfortunately, I have no idea how to do and I am no porgrammer.

Are their any ambitions out there for that? Any models?

Cheers
omnibus1
omnibus1

Re: Why can't I find drone models?

Postby Thorsten » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:16 pm

It would be great if one could train on them in Flightgear, because wrecking a number of them in real life could be expensive (especially with third party damage). In fact that would be very useful for real life.

The real thing doesn't require much training as long as the AP performs as intended - then it's basically up/down, left/right, forward/backward - you get the idea quickly and it doesn't require a huge amount of skill - a moden drone just sits still in the air when you do nothing and let go of all controls. The challenge of the real thing is to recognize when the AP doesn't work and for instance gets into an AP-induced oscillation - however, math helps you more than skill to recognize what is happening and to correct - but I don't think that kind of thing is easily implemented in FG.
Thorsten

Re: Why can't I find drone models?

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:23 pm

i saw someone at KSFO some year or two back that was flying a small quad-copter thing... i don't remember who it was, tho... it was a long while back... it was a real chore to finally find it for a look but since i didn't have the model installed here, all i saw was a very small blue/yellow glider... watching it flipping around while they were flying it was quite enjoyable and funny...

it might have been a small radio controlled heli, though... i mainly remember it was a very small and fast craft...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to The FlightGear project