Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Flight sim community survey: open till November 23

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Flight sim community survey: open till November 23

Postby Gijs » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:44 pm

Hi all,

For the first time, FlightGear is taking part in Navigraph's annual flight sim survey, the largest of its kind (with 17,800 participants in 2019)! By participating, you can help establish a broad overview of the needs and wishes of flight sim users. While the survey is traditionally focused on the big commercial players, we got to help shape some of the questions this year. By participating, you get to show that our open-source flight simulator is a serious alternative (and maybe you learn a bit more about the width of the flight sim world too).

Follow this link to go to the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/flightsi ... flightgear

The survey closes on November 23 and results will be published on the 10th of December. We receive an extract from the (anonymous) answers of our own FlightGear community, so we can see how our community differs from the general flight sim public and hopefully learn some more about our own users.

Thank you for taking part!

Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Re: Flight sim community survey: open till November 23

Postby vanosten » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:32 am

You need at least 10 minutes. But you also get a bit information and reminders about various aspects of flight simming, which you might not have done (I mean here stuff like navigation planning, ATC - not other products ;-) )
Maintaining osm2city. Contributing with ground attack stuff to the OPRF FlightGear military-simulation community.
vanosten

Pronouns: he/his
Callsign: HB-VANO
Version: latest

Postby Johan G » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:21 am

Image Done

vanosten wrote in Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:32 am:[...] you also get a bit information and reminders about various aspects of flight simming, which you might not have done [...]

Indeed. :)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby benih » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:08 pm

Did it, curious of the results
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:43 pm

IIRC, the survey said the results would be out in some months or a year... they have published in the past so i expect they will again...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Gijs » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:12 pm

Results are currently planned to be published by December 10 (see my post ;-) ).

Thanks to all of you for participating! In the latest interim update we were doing quite good in terms of participant numbers! Feel free to share the link with your friends though.
Gijs

Postby TrueNorthist » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:14 pm

Survey hung up on what I fly in sims.
Gave up after several tries. Did my best...
Flying on fumes
TrueNorthist

Callsign: CF-CZML
Version: 2020

Postby Hooray » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:36 pm

it really is a pain to go through all the questions ... at the very least they could show some kind of progress bar, or maybe some tabbed interface to see how many questions/categories are still remaining. Also, many questions/categories don't seem applicable to an open source sim like FlightGear.

Another idea would be to provide an option to save/resume the survey at a later time.

Anyway, not sure if there even is a way to provide this sort of feedback
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Gijs » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:46 pm

Hi,

It is indeed a rather long survey. I guess that's the price you have to pay when creating one survey for such a broad field of interest. Unlike the FlightGear-specific survey initiated by merspieler, this one aims to provide a more global view and has the advantage that it is shared so widely (on Thursday it passed 20.000 participants) that we also reach the casual/former/future FlightGear user. Compared to previous editions, there were actually a couple of questions (and answer options) that made more sense with respect to FlightGear than before. Both approaches obviously have their merits.

TrueNorthist wrote in Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:14 pm:Survey hung up on what I fly in sims.
Gave up after several tries. Did my best...

Hm, that's a bummer! :-( What browser did you use?

Hooray wrote in Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:36 pm:Anyway, not sure if there even is a way to provide this sort of feedback

All the way at the end you're able to click "I felt the need to take a break during the survey." :-) And there's a field to give some more elaborate feedback. I'll see if I can also forward your experiences to Navigraph once the results are in.

Gijs
Gijs

Postby Hooray » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:57 pm

I haven't looked at FlightGear's download numbers in years, but I guess it should be possible to reach 20k end-users by integrating an OPTIONAL survey right inside FlightGear - we do have all the tooling in place, i.e. something like that would not require any C++ modifications. Obviously, the question remains how many people would actually be interested by contributing through participation :wink:
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to The FlightGear project