Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Slightly new to FlightGear

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Slightly new to FlightGear

Postby Dariussssss » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:42 pm

Hello everyone.

Not sure where to put this ,so I will try here. I was an active member of this amazing community for some time,long time a go. After years of flying on FSX and shortly on P3D,I decided to come back to my first flight sim,the FlightGear,and I have to say-wooow. :shock: It's just woow.

Really like it,however some features would be interesting. First of all,flight save. FSX has it and it allows for the flight to be saved at any point and later continued from that point ,without loosing any flight data. Really useful for long flights,for example if the power cuts out ,or simply when being too tired to finish the flight. Is it possible to have it in FGFS?

Second is a question. The controls seem way to sensitive in FG,so is it possible to adjust them somehow? Again,FSX,P3D and I'm pretty sure ,even X-Plane have that,and it's great,cause not everyone likes the controls to be fighter-jet sensitive. :D

Thanks a lot .

Regards
Dariussssss

Re: Slightly new to FlightGear

Postby cgdae » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:17 pm

Dariussssss wrote in Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:42 pm:Really like it,however some features would be interesting. First of all,flight save. FSX has it and it allows for the flight to be saved at any point and later continued from that point ,without loosing any flight data. Really useful for long flights,for example if the power cuts out ,or simply when being too tired to finish the flight. Is it possible to have it in FGFS?

Oddly enough i've just pushed some additions to record/replay on the next branch that include support for recovery after flightgear or system crashes.

For details please see: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Post_FlightG ... d.2Freplay
cgdae

Postby wlbragg » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:21 pm

Which is a really nice, "new", feature, thanks. That should extend the capability to many aircraft.

Also, know there are individual aircraft that have record/save features in the GUI for that aircraft. To name a few. J3Cub/PA-18, c172p that comes with FlightGear, even the Space Shuttle has it because of the time typically involved to complete missions.

The Cub and c172p I think have to be on the ground and maybe even engines off to save.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Dariussssss » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:16 pm

Great... Big thanks also from me. :D

So,how to set the controls to be less sensitive?

Regards
Dariussssss

Postby Ysop » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:25 pm

Welcome back to Flightgear!

There is no general "sensitivity" button. It makes sense to model flight dynamics as realistic as possible and this does not necessarily mean, that the aircraft is easy to fly in front of a computerscreen.
The good thing is, that there is really a wide choice of excellent aircraft done by different people, so different approaches and solutions have been taken and there is always something adequate to your style of flying.
Ysop

Version: 2020.3.18

Postby Richard » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:33 pm

Dariussssss wrote in Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:16 pm:So,how to set the controls to be less sensitive?

With 2020.1 or later I added a slider to the joystick axes configuration called "reduce sensitivity" which works as described (uses a raise to the power to provide non linearity).

I tend to use this mainly for the rudders as I find that rudders combined with a joystick tend to be fair to easy to move.

Getting a decent joystick that uses hall effect rather than resistivity is also good; such as the T1600M.
Richard

Version: Git

Postby Ysop » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:09 pm

Richard wrote in Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:33 pm:
With 2020.1 or later I added a slider to the joystick axes configuration called "reduce sensitivity" which works as described (uses a raise to the power to provide non linearity).

I tend to use this mainly for the rudders as I find that rudders combined with a joystick tend to be fair to easy to move.

Getting a decent joystick that uses hall effect rather than resistivity is also good; such as the T1600M.

Oh. great! Sometimes difficult to track all improvements :-)
Ysop

Version: 2020.3.18

Return to The FlightGear project