Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Help Wanted: Scenemodels Validator

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Help Wanted: Scenemodels Validator

Postby xDraconian » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:00 pm

We have an immediate need for a SceneModels Validator.

This role involves:
* reviewing the scenery models submitted for inclusion within FlightGear.
* An understanding of good modeling techniques is helpful.
* Supporting scenery artists by sharing recommended practices and enforcing scenery model submission criteria.

Anyone within the community that is passionate about scenery modeling is qualified.

If you are willing and able to take up this role, please reach out to Torsten Dreyer or reply here.
xDraconian

Version: Git

Re: Help Wanted: Scenemodels Validator

Postby Catalanoic » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:46 am

maybe someone who can be online on near daily basis and enough time for model reviewing, quite not easy as each modeller work differently with diverse software
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby xDraconian » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:28 am

Daily is not a requirement. Vic was great with the frequency of his reviews, but even a couple of times a week would be fine.

It is not so much the tools that artists use, but rather the best practices utilized. Efficient models should be accepted regardless of the tools used to produce the models. Likewise, excessively wasteful models should be challenged.
xDraconian

Postby Hooray » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:34 pm

some "best practices" could be determined in a scripted fashion, i.e. using a Python script to process/analyze submissions - e.g. polygon count, texture size etc - such a tool might even make sense for fgfs as a whole, i.e. to help with reviewing aircraft, too - and it could reuse a ton of functionality available in simgear already.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby xDraconian » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:51 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Hooray. The core team discussed the same idea. Potentially automate a quick validation... e.g. point-density/meter, texture-size/color, etc.
xDraconian

Postby Hooray » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:03 pm

Yes, James has been bringing up that idea for years - which is how he came up with the "developer mode" for fgfs, and he even mentioned validating -set.xml files based on resolving resources (files, textures, 3D models) - back then, the main issue was usually due to case sensitivity (Windows vs. Linux), utf8 file names - something like that could be a great asset for aircraft developers, but also for release preparations, i.e. to ensure that SGPath references can be properly resolved
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby D-ECHO » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:27 pm

I'd be happy to help with this, maybe not as the only one as there may be times now and then where I can't work on this that often, but together with another one I'd be glad to :)
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Postby xDraconian » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:41 pm

Thank you @D-ECHO! I can be the second person.

Scott
xDraconian

Postby Torsten » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:57 pm

Thanks to both of you.

The system will send emails for every pending validation request. Those mails contain clickable links to review the request.
The link will take you to a review page where you can accept or reject the request.
Adding/updating models or objects is easy, just make sure the given data is reasonable.
For a deletion request, please make sure there is a good reason behind that idea.
We do have daily database backups but restoring a single model or object requires manual work, which I'd prefer to avoid by all means.

To get you into the loop, please provide an email address that I can use for sending the validation requests to.
You may contact me directly at torsten (at) t3r (dot) de, I usually don't read this forum too often.

FWIW, those mails originate from "FlightGear Scenery Database <noreply@flightgear.org>" and are distributed by a special sourceforge mailing list.

Once you are in - there are already some 130 requests waiting for you :-)
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline
Version: next

Postby Catalanoic » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:03 am

i'm quite busy nowadays but if D-ECHO and xDraconian need more hands or just need holidays 8) i can help, of course
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby Hooray » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:19 pm

it is actually an excellent idea to form a team of volunteers to help with such tasks, so that there isn't too much pressure put on a single contributor - ideally, there would be a wiki page listing volunteers for different tasks, so that people can reach out to them once the need arises. For instance, the wiki also needs more maintainers - for the last couple of months, Johan has been handling everything on his own. So it would be a good idea to fill such positions with "teams of volunteers" instead of just having a single point of failure (see the mapserver debacle)
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby zezinho » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:45 am

Hooray wrote in Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:19 pm:it is actually an excellent idea to form a team of volunteers to help with such tasks

Agreed. And if the list of the team could be in a link in the scenery submit page, would make it easier to dialog with them. I had to ask in this forum to find I should contact Vic. By the way, the two last links in https://scenery.flightgear.org top line give 403 error :
- TS-status
- BuidBot
zezinho

Postby Hooray » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:42 pm

Listing names/forum nicks would indeed seem like a good idea, so that people can reach out to the corresponding people.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Return to The FlightGear project