Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

2019.1 release

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Re: 2019.1 release

Postby Thorsten » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:54 am

That means that I will have to download everything twice if I want to have this separated, right?

Only if you don't know how to copy a folder to a different location in the OS of your choice...

I had actually been hoping for being able to use only one folder for aircraft storage which would then serve both installations.

Well, you have to pick what you want. If you want one common aircraft list, then deleting an aircraft deletes it from all FG installations which reference that list. If you don't want that, you can't have one common list.

The only annoying part was, that 2019.1.1 deleted pretty much all installed aircraft except for the ones from third-party hangars.

I think that's pretty unlikely - the more likely scenario is that it by default pointed to its own folder to not create a common list - and needs a reminder where you have the old aircraft.

Except for the autosave.xml and the navdata.cache files, there is no hint about more than one installation.

So apart from the actually relevant files, nothing else is separated :D ?

No proxy. Only direct connection to the internet. Software firewall is set up to not restrict FG in any way.

The general experience is if a bug is seen fixed by many people and few still report issues, the issue the few see is a different thing from the original bug. That's all I can say.
Thorsten

Postby PPLIFR99 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:33 am

Thorsten wrote in Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:54 am:Only if you don't know how to copy a folder to a different location in the OS of your choice...

Copying is not the problem but I have to be more specific:
My original goal was trying to avoid wasting space by having 2 folders with mainly the same aircraft.
But as things are, there seems to be no way around it. ;)

I think that's pretty unlikely - the more likely scenario is that it by default pointed to its own folder to not create a common list - and needs a reminder where you have the old aircraft.

Well, after the installation 2019.1.1 I recall seeing a message that something was not compatible and aircraft therefore could not be used.
I just had a look in the fgfs_0.log-file and found the following (which I believe to be the message I saw a while ago):
Code (): Select all
http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/flightgear/ftp/Aircraft-2018/catalog.xml, but app version 2019.1.1 is not comaptible
3.79 [WARN]:gui :0:failed refresh of "http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/flightgear/ftp/Aircraft-2018/catalog.xml" : 7

Strangely enough, I was able to install aircraft again, which had not been possible after the first few days of the installation of 2019.1.1.

So apart from the actually relevant files, nothing else is separated :D ?

That's correct.
The installation folders with the 2+ GB content are separate and reside on another partition. All the config files are by default on C: under the above mentioned path.
Aircraft and scenery are under "Documents" which FG also had picked by default.

The general experience is if a bug is seen fixed by many people and few still report issues, the issue the few see is a different thing from the original bug. That's all I can say.

That's very likely to be the case.
I will try to narrow this down and de-/reinstall 2019.1.1 and if it still doesn't work, I'll try 2018.3.3rc and the latest nightly (in that order).

Regards

Note:
Now that 2019.1.1 is deinstalled, I can see all my installed aircraft under 2018.2.2 again. Will definitely keep this stuff separated in the future. :roll:

Update:
I installed 2018.3.3rc and upon starting it for the first time, it notified me that it would use all settings from 2018.2.2 without giving me a choice to do otherwise.
So after making a backup, I deleted all settings under .../flightgear.org. Yet, all aircraft from 2018.2.2 were still present in 2018.3.3 although I didn't select a path to the respective folder.
Unfortunately, METAR-data still doesn't work, although my firewall asked for permission (which I allowed) to establish connections to some NOAA-server.
PPLIFR99

Postby kaimurray6371 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:13 pm

will there be an update that fixes the overwhelming p factor on the cessna 172
kaimurray6371

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:55 pm

Yes, and it was in the 2019.1 release as far as I know...
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: YV-LEGO
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby PK-DNZ_107 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:24 am

Hello,

Just a quick question here. Could you guys advise what is the best FlightGear version that could run in the old MacBook system here?

Perhaps any other version prior to 2018 release? And is it available to download it somewhere?
Thanks.

Regards,

Juliandi
PK-DNZ_107

Postby Oswald » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:11 pm

Hello developer team,

I see the 2019.1.1 Release from March 14 (!?!) at the main website. Is it the current stable release?

Oswald
Oswald

Postby Octal450 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:58 pm

Yes, it is, it works excellently! I have had 0 crashes. Give it a try!

Kind Regards,
Josh
Free Speech? Hell yeah! Free Software? Hell NO!
Octal450

Previous

Return to The FlightGear project