Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Vote: Choose the new default airport of FlightGear!  Topic is solved

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Which airport will be the default airport for FlightGear 2019.x?

Poll ended at Sun May 19, 2019 1:26 pm

LICC
15%
GCLP
31%
LPMA
8%
BIKF
46%

Total votes : 52

Vote: Choose the new default airport of FlightGear!

Postby Isaak » Sun May 12, 2019 1:26 pm

After a week of gathering propositions for the new base airport of FlightGear, it's time to vote! Select your favorite and motivate others to vote for your prefered airport!

Poll ends on the 19th of May at 1226Z, so you have one week to make your choice! The chosen airport will be default for Flightgear 2019.1 to 2019.3. It seems that Islands are trending these days and maybe we should consider rebranding FlightGear as SailGear, as not a single candidate is situated on the mainland. :)

You can choose between these candidates:

LICC - Aeroporto Internazionale Vincenzo Bellini di Catania-Fontanarossa, Sicily, Italy.
A nicely situated airport, close to Mount Etna that offers the possibility to spot some volcano activity!
(still needs development of e.g. airport buildings, but legoboyvdlp has offered to do some efforts. Also vanosten has offered to do build osm2city scenery for the region)

GCLP - Aeropuerto de Gran Canaria, Gran Canaria, Spain.
A very nice location with well developed scenery. Gran Canaria airport is the busiest airport on the Canary Islands. It serves both as a passenger, freight and military airport.
(D-ECHO and merspieler are developing a nice custom scenery that could quickly make it to TerraSync and the base package, vanosten can probably do some work on osm2city buildings)

LPMA - Aeroporto da Madeira Cristiano Ronaldo, Madeira, Portugal.
This airport is considered one of the most peculiarly perilous airports in the world, due to its location and its spectacular runway construction. It is ranked 9th most dangerous airport in the world, do we dare to push our new users to the limits? :)
(D-ECHO has a custom scenery for Madeira. It would need some development of osm2city and development of LPPS, but work is already being done on those. vanosten can probably do some work on osm2city buildings)

BIKF - Keflavíkurflugvöllur (Reykjavik-Keflavik Airport), Keflavik, Iceland.
Keflavik Airport is a shared Civilian/Military airport with runways capable of any aircraft. It has developed civilian and military buildings and the scenery at Iceland has Corine-Quality landclass data and volcanoes, making it a pleasant visual experience. There's dozens of small airstrips scattered throughout the island. Some of them are developed as well.

Did you want another airport? Next year (I 'll take the task up to me to make the poll in January then) you 'll have a chance to propose your idea for FlightGear 2020.x!
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Re: Vote: Choose the new default airport of FlightGear!

Postby zakalawe » Mon May 13, 2019 10:14 am

Much as I love LPMA and would like it to have better scenery, I don't think we can ask novice pilots to use it :)
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW

Postby RobAndrew » Mon May 13, 2019 8:14 pm

I've heard a lot about Keflavik in novels such as "Red storm Rising" and know that Iceland is quite a nice place. I know where my vote is! (Plus it's not to far from home!)
RobAndrew

Callsign: G-RAND
Version: 2020.

Postby xDraconian » Sat May 18, 2019 4:33 pm

Bumping this thread. Poll closes in less than 16 hours, so please cast your vote if you have not already done so.
xDraconian

Version: Git

Postby wkitty42 » Sun May 19, 2019 1:41 pm

looks like BIKF is the winner...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Isaak » Sun May 19, 2019 2:09 pm

Our next default airport will indeed be BIKF ;)
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Postby D-ECHO » Sun May 19, 2019 2:14 pm

D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)

Postby Isaak » Sun May 19, 2019 2:19 pm

Thanks a lot that you've already started work on improving Iceland! I've mentioned it in my mail on the mailing list (which can take anything between 5 minutes and 6 hours to come through, I have no idea why my messages don't come through immediately).
Last edited by Isaak on Sun May 19, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isaak

Postby xDraconian » Sun May 19, 2019 6:52 pm

@Isaak, I appreciate you coordinating the selection process. Well done!

Scott
xDraconian

Version: Git

Postby Isaak » Sun May 19, 2019 7:07 pm

You're welcome :) Next year I 'll think of it around Christmas ;)
Isaak

Return to The FlightGear project