Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Can you please make a boat for me?

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Can you please make a boat for me?

Postby bo105-21-21 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:26 am

Hi, I'm looking for a model of boat for you to make.
bo105-21-21

Re: Can you please make a boat for me?

Postby RJ5576 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:55 am

Anders Gidenstam has made several sea-going vessels (http://github.com/andgi).
RJ5576

Callsign: RJ5576
Version: 2018.1.1

Postby openflight » Fri May 31, 2019 7:09 am

The scenery folder usually has objects such as boats? Or you could download and add free models from sites.
https://free3d.com/3d-models/boat
openflight

Version: 1.0

Postby bugman » Fri May 31, 2019 9:07 am

@openflight: Note that the original poster has been banned 3 times from this forum and is no longer around.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby NewFlyer153 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:26 am

openflight wrote in Fri May 31, 2019 7:09 am:The scenery folder usually has objects such as boats? Or you could download and add free models from sites.
https://free3d.com/3d-models/boat

I suggest to anyone to stay away from that place. I've been browsing that site lately, and most of the stuff that users have there seem to be 3D assets ripped from proprietary commercial AAA games. I made one complaint, after which they removed all the items uploaded by a user. However the place is filled to the brim with 3D assets from commercial games, among which are World of Tanks and DCS World, with the payware planes Su-33 and Su-35 being available to download. If I can be bothered complaining again I'm going to be sending a notice to the publishers. Further, in lots of cases they've allowed this to go on since 2013.

I don't mean ALL of it is illegal, but it is absolutely teeming with illegal uploads. CGTrader is a lot better. And I haven't seen anything bad at Turbosquid yet. The Unity asset store is probably safest in my opinion, and it's got some good stuff.
NewFlyer153

Postby Johan G » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:01 pm

NewFlyer153 wrote in Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:26 am:[...] I haven't seen anything bad at Turbosquid yet.

Funny thing you mention that. When they were mentioned in another thread I looked around on Free3D website on the contact, terms and conditions and Sell pages. Also did a whois search. Turns out that TurboSquid own and operate the website. It seems like they have their free content mirrored on this web site. Probably for more exposure. Slightly disappointing. Also, I do not like the licence terms (they seem to be all rights reserved, in essence only personal use is allowed). More disappointing. :|

That said, some other sites with free models seem to not have any user generated content at all. In essence none of the models on those sites have a specified license or author byline, implying that the content was more or less gathered from other websites. Those I would definitively stay away from.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby NewFlyer153 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:27 am

Johan G wrote in Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:01 pm:Turns out that TurboSquid own and operate the website. It seems like they have their free content mirrored on this web site. Probably for more exposure. Slightly disappointing.

Wow, that is very disappointing, and depressing given what it says about some how much some companies care about this illegal stuff.

Also, I do not like the licence terms (they seem to be all rights reserved, in essence only personal use is allowed). More disappointing.
[/quote]

No, as far as I know any model priced $0 are always licensed under "personal use only". They refer to any model labelled higher than $0, in other words anything sold, as a premium product. That's an atypical policy in my experience. Each premium model has it's own license, most of which I'd guess are "Royalty Free License (All extended uses). But yeah, I'm not touching anything on there. I still want to want report either the site or the users to the actual copyright holders (the game publishers), but I can't be policing the whole world. And I have the feeling they can just pull a Facebook or Youtube excuse, ie, "Hey we just host the stuff, we don't upload it, and it would it be unreasonable to check EVERY post." I feel they know exactly where they sit legally as far as their criminal or civil liabilities go.

I dealt with one site where I reported suspicious behaviour. At the same time I informed the seller of the information I had and asked some questions. The next contact I got was from a team member from the site saying the item has been pulled down by the seller, thanking me for my raising the issue, and encouraging me to do so again if I see anything similar. Well I was fuming. This seller shows a guilty conscience by pulling their product after being confronted, and the site just seems to say product is pulled down, issue resolved. Meanwhile they're still selling products. When I pressed this issue further I then got a message back from a team member saying that the user has deleted their entire account. Thanking me again and encouraging me to raise any issues in the future. And so we continue on, we deal with one issue, and everything is fine, the user will be allowed to continue to make available their other products, and everyone should move along, nothing to see here.

Yes, this is definitely the attitude of not just one of these sites, but many of them actually. Anyway, sorry to speak at such length about this, it just $isses me off.
NewFlyer153

Return to The FlightGear project