Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Wiki translation challenge for the default FG aircraft!

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Wiki translation challenge for the default FG aircraft!

Postby bugman » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:57 pm

From a recent user page discussion on the wiki, I thought I would lay out a challenge to any speakers of non-English languages out there. The FlightGear wiki is packed full of information, however the translation status is very far behind. Some languages such as German, Spanish, and French have a reasonable, but incomplete coverage, while others are miles behind. So the challenge is to translate the page for the default FlightGear aircraft - the Cessna 172P. This is also a wiki learning exercise, as a complete translation requires a number of wiki pages and templates to be translated:

Note that the wiki has a bug - wiki page names with certain non-latin characters cannot be edited. Copying how other languages translate this article is the best way to tackle the challenge.

Cheers,
Edward

Edit: More detailed instructions based on feedback.
bugman

Version: next

Re: Wiki translation challenge for the default FG aircraft!

Postby Isaak » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:59 am

I 'll have a hand on the Dutch page(s), it already exists, but looks like a Google Translate effort.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA

Postby bugman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:22 am

I'm not sure about the main text of the http://wiki.flightgear.org/Nl/Cessna_172P page. But the translations in the templates are my guesses based on the Wikipedia page names - I would go to the English page and look at the page names for the translations. If that didn't work, I sometimes used Linguee. There's a lot of cleaning up to do - but thanks to Skybike, Parnikkapore, and Sidiliang, a number of translations are now well done.

Cheers,
Edward

Edit: I rarely use Google translate as, although it works quite well for a lot of the time, it can make some monumental mistakes. Especially translating from English to a non-Indo-European language.
bugman

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:15 pm

I'll take Spanish, then... ;)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:22 pm

Main article complete.
legoboyvdlp

Postby bugman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:45 pm

Cheers! I saw you created the page Es/Cessna_172P/info. This is not needed - I've designed the aircraft infobox to be very easy to translate. Just add the Spanish directly to Cessna_172P/info and the Mediawiki software will do the rest :)

Regards,
Edward

Edit: Also, you shouldn't translate the parameter values for type, config, propulsion, or manufacturer. These keywords are translated by the corresponding templates listed in the first post. Like I said, this is a good wiki learning exercise!
bugman

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:37 am

Great! Thanks a lot for your help.

Jonathan
legoboyvdlp

Postby Catalanoic » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:03 pm

Task: Please, check wiki pages translated using Google Translator (or similar), for some latin languages may work well with minor errors but others you need to correct almost everything.
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby hamzaalloush » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:20 am

Is the Arabic language supported? I pushed a translation anyway.

Edit: apparently the [[ar:Cessna 172P]] doesn't embed in the C172P Main Article as another language.
hamzaalloush

Postby bugman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:33 pm

Yes, Arabic, as well as all languages with Unicode characters is supported. There is one condition though, you cannot use Arabic (or any other non-latin script) in the page title. I.e. the URL. This is a long-standing bug with the FlightGear wiki that is very difficult to fix.

Regards,
Edward

Edit: Oh, ok, I have to ask Gijs to enable Arabic support on the wiki. Each language has to be registered individually. Could you add the [[ar:Cessna 172P]] links to all the translated pages as well? The Arabic article will then appear on all pages once 'ar' is registered.

Edit2: I hope that simply registering 'ar' will cause the text to be right justified! Are there any other issues with the Arabic text that you can see?

Edit3: We should be able to set up the wiki to have this right-to-left layout: https://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D8%AC%D9%86%D9%88
bugman

Postby Gijs » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:46 pm

hamzaalloush wrote in Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:20 am:Is the Arabic language supported?

It is now. Thanks for translating!
I'll have a look at right-to-left styling.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby bugman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:50 pm

@legoboy: The Spanish translation is looking great! There is one last remnant of English that can still be translated. If you hover the mouse over the hangar logo, you'll see that the pop-up 'hint' is in English. This can be changed via the {{hangar banner}} template. I think you translated the FGAddon entry, but not the FGData one.

Cheers,
Edward
bugman

Postby hamzaalloush » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:55 pm

Yes,

There's also the directionality issue, as you said,

Thanks for looking into this!
hamzaalloush

Postby bugman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:48 pm

@Hamza: Note that it can take a few minutes to a few hours for a change to propagate throughout the wiki. So it will be a while until the Arabic links pointing to Ar/Cessna_172P to work. From what I've read, Mediawiki > 1.18 will automatically switch to a RTL layout for Arabic and other RTL languages (we are currently up to version 1.26.2). So we'll see what happens.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby bugman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:59 pm

For reference, here is the translation status page for the key FlightGear wiki pages, including the Cessna 172P:

Feel free to expand this table to include other languages (Arabic, Catalan, etc.), and to update the translation status.

Cheers,
Edward
bugman

Next

Return to The FlightGear project