Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Will my laptop run this game?

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Will my laptop run this game?

Postby JS17 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:01 am

Hello, Flight Gear forum thanks for the add.

I have been looking at a few YouTube videos online and I think that my laptop might have the guts to ruin this game but I'm not 100% sure and was hoping you guys could let me know. I have a Dell Latitude E6420 (yes it's old) it has 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, Intel i5 and a Nvidia graphics card but I'm not sure which one or where to find that information. So will my laptop be able to run Flight Gear? If there is anything I missed out or you need anything else please let me know and I will get back to you.

Cheers
JS17

Re: Will my laptop run this game?

Postby CaptB » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:52 pm

It will run it, start it with low settings and increase to find the sweet spot. Performance is also dependent on the particular aircraft flown so I suggest the default Cessna as a common denominator.

I have way better performance on a 6 year old desktop Core i5 2500K/Nvidia 550Ti/8GB compared to FSX(At stock speed, not to mention when mildly OC'd to 4.2)
Ongoing projects(3D modelling): A320, MD-11, A350, B767
FG767: https://fg767.wordpress.com/
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CaptB
Version: next

Postby Clive2670 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:55 pm

No reason why not, As CaptB said just start with all "Bells & Whistles" turned off (Shaders, AI, 3D clouds, precipitation etc) keep the LODs low, increase them slowly a notch at a time, watching your frame rate, any dramatic drops return to the original setting on the one you altered! Be aware of "memory hungry" planes such as the Boeing 777, I fly this on my specs, see my signature for these, with most shaders (except for water, 3D clouds, particles and smoke,precipitation and model) turned off. I can only average 17 FPS on this plane, but it doesn't make it un-flyable. But please don't expect blistering frame rates on your specs as when I'm flying the 777 my laptop uses anything from 1.8 Gb to 5Gb of my RAM! It's worth downloading and running game fire https://www.smartpcutilities.com/gamefire.html (other software is available) to turn off all surplas windows components that are not needed during the use of F/G I use this and it will release up to 500Mb of RAM to help speed up the frame rates! Also I use a 8Gb USB stick that is set as "Ready Boost" this helps take the pressure off the RAM as well. Hope this helps?
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby JS17 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:10 am

JKust what I wanted to hear!! I am off now to download the Flight gear game and the Game fire utility then have a little play to see how it's all working then I will be back! Thanks, guys!!
JS17

Postby Clive2670 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:06 pm

Just let us know the results please....There are always plenty of answers on here (The forum) for any questions you might have!!! I forgot to add maybe on your machine it might be worth downloading terramaster ( https://github.com/Portree-Kid/terramaster) for your scenery tiles (this requires java to be installed if it's not already) download the tiles you need into a folder (Maybe on your desktop) and point flightgear to this folder on the qt launcher under the "add ons" tab add the path to the terramaster folder with the scenery tiles in the "additional scenery locations" box. Then "uncheck" the "download scenery automatically" box. Then flightgear will pull your downloaded scenery, As terrasync can be unpredictable on it's speed This will free up CPU, Memory, and internet all at the same time! Be aware though if you fly somewhere make sure the tiles are downloaded or you will find just water and no airport to land on!!! Also if you decide to do the whole world this will take up <> 85Gb of disk and will take up to 5 days (24 hours a day) to download all land, objects, buildings and terrain! That's how long it took me and I have 45Mbps broadband speed!
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Return to The FlightGear project