Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Using the Wiki

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Using the Wiki

Postby jgaboo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:10 pm

When I go to the Wiki page, I'm expecting to see a table of contents. Is the one? Or do I just keep searching to topics of interest? Especially interested in FlightGear explicit XML coding info. I'm no XML expert but there must be some rules about format, format of information, categories of information, etc.
jgaboo

Re: Using the Wiki

Postby Catalanoic » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:45 pm

Are you refering about wiki format? I don't know but assuming Wikipedia standars is a good practice
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby sanhozay » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:06 pm

Are you using a tablet or other mobile device? If so, the contents may be listed on an icon that has horizontal lines on it.
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Postby elgaton » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:08 pm

jgaboo, hi and welcome to the forum!

There is a Manual of style that gives some guidelines about how to structure articles; it is, however, still in the process of being written, and many pages do not follow the proposed format (yet).

Regarding the organization of topics in the wiki, there's no written rule; they are just organized hierarchically into categories (see here for a complete list).

I'm not fully sure about what you mean with "XML coding info" - perhaps you are referring to the markup used to write articles? If so, an online help is available in the wiki from the edit page (just click on "Help" in the edit toolbar).
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby Johan G » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:59 pm

elgaton wrote in Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:08 pm:I'm not fully sure about what you mean with "XML coding info" - perhaps you are referring to the markup used to write articles?

I quite think jgaboo meant the xml configuration files, in essence PropertyList format and all related to that:
jgaboo wrote in Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:10 pm:Especially interested in FlightGear explicit XML coding info.

jgaboo wrote in Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:10 pm:When I go to the Wiki page, I'm expecting to see a table of contents. Is the one?

Apart from the portals and subportals (to the right in the default desktop layout, visible in the desktop view*), not really. You can get something like that when you look at a category page, like the in this case probably relevant page Category:XML.

The link elgaton gave was to a list of all the categories. I often use the Special:CategoryTree page to see the category tree (though the tree shown is not always complete; do not trust it when it says a category is empty). A similar functionality is also available by clicking the subcategory arrows on a category page (visible in the desktop view*).

If you are relatively new to wikis I warmly recommend having a look at Help:Contents#Reading (perm).

* You can switch between desktop an mobile view through small links at the bottom of every wiki page.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Return to The FlightGear project