Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Help us find our next default airport! [2017.2]

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Help us find our next default airport! [2017.2]

Postby Parnikkapore » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:30 am

Notes: This topic is opened early to gather choices more quickly. The poll would be open once the release is out.
Do you know a nicely developed airport in a stunning scenery you'd like to make more popular? Do you want to draw FG attention to your country? Are you involved in scenery developments and want your work to be prominently visible? This is your chance to get involved!

Now that 2017.1 "Bergen" is almost out, let's pick the airports we'll go to this May

Note: For any future releases where nobody volunteers to organize a poll the next default airports will be chosen based on the order in this poll.

What's needed now?

If you have a good idea for a default airport, please post a short description along with two screenshots (airport terminal buildings and airport seen embedded into the surrounding scenery) below. Once we have a few options (in a week or so), we'll have a poll and pick the most popular result.

Desired features are:

* well developed terminal buildings (on par with KSFO or LSZH)
* suitable for airliner operations
* nice scenery for VFR flights in the vicinity, possibly also smaller airports, ideally developed
* usability (should not need a gaming computer to get usable framerates)
(* possibly working AI traffic)

What'll be needed later?

For the airport that gets picked as the next default, we'd like to see a Wiki page describing the airport and popular VFR activities in the surroundings. Feel free to also share other aviation fun facts of the country with FG enthusiasts.

A general effort by scenery developers to populate the surroundings even more is also not the worst of ideas

Will the development team create better terrain for location XXX if it gets picked?

Usually the holdup for more detailed scenery is not bad intention but just publicly available data - the scenery is usually as good as the data we have permits. So the answer in general is no - we can't do that easily.

However, we have the ability of ship a custom tile with a stable version (and have had more detailed KSFO scenery than on terrasync in the past), and I think if someone has manually created/improved GPL custom scenery for a proposed default airport, we can ship a tile of that around the chosen location.

I want to see my home airport featured!

If the airport is already developed, Just place it here!

If the airport is not developed yet, get involved! Just placing buildings in the right places is easy but will have a big impact!

So - let's all help to make FG more international by migrating around the world - show us what's to see in your region, or whatever you found elsewhere in the world!
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Re: Help us find our next default airport! [2017.2]

Postby Parnikkapore » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:32 am

Existing candidates for our poll

VHXX: Honk Kong Kai Tak, China (closed)
(needs to be imported from: https://gitlab.com/fgradi/custom_scenery_VHXX )

VHHH: Honk Kong International, China
Last third runner

VTSP: Phuket International, Thailand

PANC: Ted Stevens Anchorage International, Alaska

LKPR: Václav Havel Prague, Czech Republic
Last second runner

ZBAA: Beijing Capital international airport, China
Parnikkapore

Postby Parnikkapore » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:46 am

Since we are introducing OSM2city scenery into TerraSync, How about a default airport showcasing one of them?
EGKK:London Gatwick
London's second biggest airport, a nice and large gateway to London's OSM2city magic.
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Postby Catalanoic » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:37 pm

And USA again? My proposal is KBOS Boston Logan International, a nice developed airport, updated layout and just need some minor works (on it actually) and a better groundnet.
And more shots from last USA Tour by user pommeschranke
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby Müller » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:35 pm

Berlin Tempelhof (EDDI)

Obs:Images copied from chris_blues
I7-8700k - MSi Z370 Plus Sli - Galax RTX 2070 - G.Skill 16gb 3000mhz - SSD MX 500 -500gb, Hd 1tb Seagate, HD 2tb Wd - WC Corsair H100iv2 - Corsair RM 650 - Monitor 24'' Asus - Gab.Aerocool 800
Müller

Postby Catalanoic » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:50 pm

User fmg made nice custom 3d work at EDDI
Catalanoic

Postby D-ECHO » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:22 pm

Problem about EDDI is the quite short runway for a default airport
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)

Postby Catalanoic » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:42 pm

why dont suggest aircraft for that specific airport? DC-3 for example, but dont for big airbuses or boeings. I think short runways or any specific airport wouldn't be a constraint as for a proposal
Catalanoic

Postby Müller » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:40 pm

SBRJ- Santos Dumont Airport was the default airport and the runway is only 1260 meters.
EDDI - Berlin Tempelholf - it's 2094 meters, it's not a small runway compared to SBRJ, I understand it's not the ideal size, but I do not see it as a problem, or a restriction to be the default aeroport.

@Catalanoic, Thanks for the KBOS images, they are spectacular.
I7-8700k - MSi Z370 Plus Sli - Galax RTX 2070 - G.Skill 16gb 3000mhz - SSD MX 500 -500gb, Hd 1tb Seagate, HD 2tb Wd - WC Corsair H100iv2 - Corsair RM 650 - Monitor 24'' Asus - Gab.Aerocool 800
Müller

Postby bugman » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:46 pm

If you cannot take off or land a A380 or other large aircraft at the proposed airport, that will unlikely to be accepted for the release. Think about the first time users starting up in large aircraft, wondering why they cannot take off. You can however find another airport on the same tile that is suitable, and then the airport you are interested is shipped with the FG release, but is not the default airport.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby Müller » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:48 pm

I agree( not all),
Then also must be placed, the minimum runway size in the desired characteristics (3 thousand meters?).
Müller

Postby Müller » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:47 pm

EDDI is not a candidate for the default airport, they think the runway is small.
When I started my flights on FG were not on large planes, and I think most beginners also act the same way.
I also had the notion that a large plane needs a much larger runway than a C172, so when I started flights on larger planes I had a "little" intelligence to look for larger and suitable runways for this type of aircraft, and I believe beginners also continue to act in the same way, you can not underestimate the intelligence of FG users, even if they are beginners.
Let beginners learn from their mistakes (learning curve) this makes it a lot more fun and certainly a lot more interesting about how to make good flights.
Müller

Postby tonghuix » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:59 am

how about EDDF?
FG Manual Chinese Translation https://github.com/tonghuix/getstart-zh
tonghuix

Callsign: CPA112
IRC name: tonghuix

Postby elgaton » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:07 am

I would avoid it because it's regularly controlled by ATC.
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby Matuchkin » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:10 am

I'd like attention brought to CYYZ, Toronto Lester Pearson International Airport. Nice place, plus the fact that it usually never gets to be a prominent feature of any flight sim I've seen so far.
Matuchkin

Callsign: ML-F1A

Next

Return to The FlightGear project