Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Help us find our next default airport! [2017.2]

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Re: Help us find our next default airport! [2017.2]

Postby Parnikkapore » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:42 am

You suggested it, so post some screenshots here and suggest it for 2017.3! And if the buildings are not yet complete, why not make some of them?
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby Matuchkin » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:55 am

Parnikkapore wrote in Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:42 am:You suggested it, so post some screenshots here and suggest it for 2017.3! And if the buildings are not yet complete, why not make some of them?

I will post the screenshots later this week, in that case. Also, I cannot make anything (including buildings) because I do not know how to code.
Matuchkin

Callsign: ML-F1A

Postby Catalanoic » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:25 am

No need to code, just learn some 3d modelling and texturing. Blender, AC3D, Sketchup do that work
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby Johan G » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:35 pm

Parnikkapore wrote in Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:42 am:[...] if the buildings are not yet complete, why not make some of them?

Matuchkin wrote in Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:55 am:[...] I cannot make anything (including buildings) because I do not know how to code.

Catalanoic wrote in Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:25 am:No need to code, just learn some 3d modelling and texturing.

"just" may be bit of an understatement. ;) I would still warmly recommend it though.

Personally I have gone for Blender, due to its flexibility (though I use a rather outdated version). While the learning curve is a bit steep in the beginning it can do so much more than just model objects. As it started as an in-house tool at a 3D animation company, it support workflows (not just a fixed one) going the whole way from sketching to modeling, rigging, animation, rendering, compositing, and finally video editing. To get going there are plenty of YouTube tutorials with tips on many different subjects and experience levels. It will be a bit tough the first week or two, but with a bit of perseverance it will be rewarding in the long run. :)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Catalanoic » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:20 am

""just" may be bit of an understatement" yes, maybe is somewhat inappropriate to say but for some buildings no need to learn rigging, animation, compositing, etc with professional tools, just try how work a basic 3d tool like Sketchup for doing simple things like a house and add textures, begginers can do it for sure, and later experiment with more complex tasks. They can add existing objects (shared or static) positions (from TS) to these empty or partially empty airports or the whole world.
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby Johan G » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:13 pm

Catalanoic wrote in Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:20 am:""just" may be bit of an understatement" yes, maybe is somewhat inappropriate to say but for some buildings no need to learn rigging, animation, compositing, etc with professional tools [...]

Sorry for being unspecific. :oops: I have so far only used Blender for modeling, texturing, rendering stills (occasionally) and video editing (rarely). I find the UI to be odd but relatively fast.

For me a part of its appeal is that I can expand my knowledge and "skills" without having to learn an entirely new piece of software.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Previous

Return to The FlightGear project