Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Vote for our next default airport! [2017.1]

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Pick the airport for this February!

Poll ended at Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:00 am

Hong Kong Kai Tak
4%
Hong Kong intl
20%
Bergen intl
37%
Phuket intl
2%
Ted Stevens Anchorage intl
2%
Václav Havel Prague
33%
Beijing Capital intl
2%

Total votes : 54

Re: Vote for our next default airport! [2017.1]

Postby Hooray » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:25 pm

Sorry, I was under the wrong impression that this was about the tile/btg naming scheme in use, i.e. converting KSFO/KLSV to the matching set of tiles to be included.
As far as I remember, the corresponding code is part of SimGear, and some of it is exposed to scripting space - so it would be relatively easy to provide an integrate GUI dialog to convert an ICAO identifier into a set of file names, or use that to query the navdb cache and procedurally create a matching set of presets to be used.

I don't remember the specifics, but I think we were contemplating to rename and split up/partition preferences.xml anyway - so that it would become much more straightforward to use a separate/external file containing such presets, which could also be dynamically patched/re-created.

Admittedly, I was considering to provide a corresponding Nasal-based solution (because Nasal happens to have bindings for the corresponding APIs/subsystems, like the navdb) - however, feel free to post a link to a corresponding presets.xml file so that people can take a look - obviously, for a standalone solution that may run as part of the release process (i.e. on the build server), a Python based solution would seem to make much more sense.

PS: Thanks for detailing/documening the process - until we have a better process in place, it might make sense to add this write-up to each nomination thread, and require submissions to be complete, in the sense that they need to contain the required data to be considered - which should also help filter future nominations.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Torsten » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:54 pm

I don't remember the specifics, but I think we were contemplating to rename and split up/partition preferences.xml anyway - so that it would become much more straightforward to use a separate/external file containing such presets, which could also be dynamically patched/re-created.

We do have this already: FGData/location-presets.xml
however, feel free to post a link to a corresponding presets.xml file so that people can take a look - obviously, for a standalone solution that may run as part of the release process (i.e. on the build server), a Python based solution would seem to make much more sense.

Certainly:
Torsten wrote in Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:14 pm:- Prepare the location-presets.xml (Merge request preferred)
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline
Version: next

Postby Catalanoic » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:09 pm

This year will be finished the new terminal (T3, right wing of the old rounded terminal, and it will be intended for inland flights), so makes sense to wait to be opened, before starting to model the new building, the other ones, GA buildings and hangars are being in process to submit to TS.
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby swampthing » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:45 am

Why do we keep changing it?
www.opredflag.com
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson-
swampthing

Callsign: swamp
Version: 2018.2

Postby Müller » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:45 pm

And why not ?
It was a great idea to make the change from the default airport, this is to encourage people to work on new sceneries, modifying, adapting, making improvements in airports around the world. Maybe they're kind of slow in redoing some airports, but I think over time things are going to get better, so maybe you need new building developers for the scene; People who have time available to work in airports.
Are ideas like this that make a better FG every day, each release version bring countless things, aircraft, buildings, effects, etc ... and why not a new location (airport), or do you want to perpetuate FG in KSFO?
I7-8700k - MSi Z370 Plus Sli - Galax RTX 2070 - G.Skill 16gb 3000mhz - SSD MX 500 -500gb, Hd 1tb Seagate, HD 2tb Wd - WC Corsair H100iv2 - Corsair RM 650 - Monitor 24'' Asus - Gab.Aerocool 800
Müller

Postby Thorsten » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:23 pm

Why do we keep changing it?

You can search the forum or the mailing list for the answer, this has been discussed at length.
Thorsten

Postby ausdkunst » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:57 am

Hope an Australia airport is on the list one day :)
BULLDOG RS (The No.1 place for Flightgear automobile): https://bulldogrs.wordpress.com/
ausdkunst

Callsign: bulldog
Version: 2016.2.1

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:27 am

(you can tell what should be on the list) ((Pssssst.......)
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:19 pm

ausdkunst wrote in Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:57 am:Hope an Australia airport is on the list one day :)

read the instructions for submitting one and then follow them... i flew around and found several which i took snapshots of and submitted... they're and others that didn't make it are still in the list for the next round AFAIK...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby swampthing » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:11 pm

Sorry Thorsten I don't have the time. Just asking a question. ;)
www.opredflag.com
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson-
swampthing

Callsign: swamp
Version: 2018.2

Postby bugman » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:12 am

@swampthing: Why is the Earth round? If one does not have the time to look up why, one must accept the fact. Or believe in alternative facts, like the Earth is flat ;)

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby Matuchkin » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:23 am

Why is Lester Pearson International never an option for an airport in any flight sim?
Matuchkin

Callsign: ML-F1A

Postby Catalanoic » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:16 pm

You can made a proposal for next release
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby Parnikkapore » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:18 am

FYI, you may submit proposals for the next release here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=31605
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS

Postby Hooray » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:57 pm

Referring to this: https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fl ... 3e9fee03c/

Is this the main/only change needed currently for the C++ code ?
If so, have you considered using a CMAKE variable instead so that you can use cmake/environment variables instead of having to patch the C++ code ?
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Previous

Return to The FlightGear project