Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Help us find our next default airport! [2017.1]

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Help us find our next default airport! [2017.1]

Postby Parnikkapore » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:11 pm

{(Placeholder topic}}
Do you know a nicely developed airport in a stunning scenery you'd like to make more popular? Do you want to draw FG attention to your country? Are you involved in scenery developments and want your work to be prominently visible? This is your chance to get involved!

Now that 2016.4 "Zurich" is out, let's pick the airports we'll go to this February!

Note: For any future releases where nobody volunteers to organize a poll the next default airports will be chosen based on the order in this poll.

What's needed now?

If you have a good idea for a default airport, please post a short description along with two screenshots (airport terminal buildings and airport seen embedded into the surrounding scenery) below. Once we have a few options (in a week or so), we'll have a poll and pick the most popular result.

Desired features are:

* well developed terminal buildings (on par with KSFO or LEBL)
* suitable for airliner operations
* nice scenery for VFR flights in the vicinity, possibly also smaller airports, ideally developed
* usability (should not need a gaming computer to get usable framerates)
(* possibly working AI traffic)

What'll be needed later?

For the airport that gets picked as the next default, we'd like to see a Wiki page describing the airport and popular VFR activities in the surroundings. Feel free to also share other aviation fun facts of the country with FG enthusiasts.

A general effort by scenery developers to populate the surroundings even more is also not the worst of ideas

Will the development team create better terrain for location XXX if it gets picked?

Usually the holdup for more detailed scenery is not bad intention but just publicly available data - the scenery is usually as good as the data we have permits. So the answer in general is no - we can't do that easily.

However, we have the ability of ship a custom tile with a stable version (and have had more detailed KSFO scenery than on terrasync in the past), and I think if someone has manually created/improved GPL custom scenery for a proposed default airport, we can ship a tile of that around the chosen location.

So - let's all help to make FG more international by migrating around the world - show us what's to see in your region, or whatever you found elsewhere in the world!
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Re: Help us find our next default airport! [2017.1]

Postby Parnikkapore » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:41 pm

Here are the existing candidates from the last poll!

VHXX: Honk Kong Kai Tak, China (closed)
(needs to be imported from: https://gitlab.com/fgradi/custom_scenery_VHXX )

VHHH: Honk Kong International, China

ENBR: Bergen International, Norway
Last second runner

VTSP: Phuket International, Thailand

PANC: Ted Stevens Anchorage International, Alaska

LKPR: Václav Havel Prague, Czech Republic
Last third runner
Last edited by Parnikkapore on Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Postby tonghuix » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:00 pm

It seems ENBR is ready to use now.
FG Manual Chinese Translation https://github.com/tonghuix/getstart-zh
tonghuix

Callsign: CPA112
IRC name: tonghuix

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:41 pm

of the ones i posted previously, which were carried forward and also appear here, one of the goals was to get them built up even more by scenery designers to improve them as well as the simulator as a whole... i can envision a time where all the large airports are populated nicely and then the secondary ones are left to be done along with the tertiary ones... everyone loves to do the exciting work but no one wants to do the boring stuff...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby sidi762 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:40 pm

I think the main propose of picking a default airport should be helping to develop a not well-developed airport. If we only focus on well developed airport then those not well-developed airport will be lonely FOREVER.
I strongly suggest ZBAA, Beijing Capital International Airport. It's the one of the biggest airport in China, which is the biggest developing country in the world, and it doesn't looks like what it should be look like. I can't believe that we even can't taxi in this airport. And, for I know, this is one of the main reason that most Chinese flyers choose FSX instead of FlightGear.
Thank you.
PS. I don't know how you guys actually works, if all the airports are made by other people instead of you guys, please tell me. I think you are doing a great job in developing FG.
sidi762

Callsign: DAG0762
Version: 2020.3.18

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:03 pm

sidi762 wrote in Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:40 pm:I think the main propose of picking a default airport should be helping to develop a not well-developed airport. If we only focus on well developed airport then those not well-developed airport will be lonely FOREVER.

yes, that's pretty much what i wrote above :)

on the rest of your post, anyone can work on the scenery of the airports... the problem is generating the terrain if it needs to be... the terrain is one thing, the airports another, as well as the objects... i don't know what you mean by "can't taxi" at ZBAA but i will take a look just because ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Thorsten » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:13 pm

I think the main propose of picking a default airport should be helping to develop a not well-developed airport. If we only focus on well developed airport then those not well-developed airport will be lonely FOREVER.

Part of the idea behind the whole thing is just that - people who are interested in showcasing their region can get together and start some development work and make a strong proposal for the next default. You can't expect to people to vote for just the promise of a developed airport (if talk could create FG assets, we'd have surpassed FSX and X-plane ages ago...) - whoever develops needs to deliver.

And you can't expect modelers to work on an airport they're not interested in just because others voted for it - that's not how it works.

So if you want to get FG to Beijing, I guess most Chinese flyers need to leave FSX for three months, get together and create something everyone will want to use - and if it's voted as default, there'll be some extra attention coming for the region.
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:38 pm

sidi762 wrote in Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:40 pm:I strongly suggest ZBAA, Beijing Capital International Airport. It's the one of the biggest airport in China, which is the biggest developing country in the world, and it doesn't looks like what it should be look like. I can't believe that we even can't taxi in this airport. And, for I know, this is one of the main reason that most Chinese flyers choose FSX instead of FlightGear.

FWIW: i've started a topic for ZBAA over here in the Development->Scenery sub-forum :arrow: ZBAA... i've posted a screen shot from 22000 feet centered over the control tower and looking straight down...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Catalanoic » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:55 pm

When the 2017.1 airport poll will be started? And closed?
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby Parnikkapore » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:54 am

It's supposed to be started very soon.

But I'm not sure if some big guy will see this.
Parnikkapore

Return to The FlightGear project