Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Please help to find the next default airport

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Please help to find the next default airport

Postby Thorsten » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:22 pm

Do you know a nicely developed airport in a stunning scenery you'd like to make more popular? Do you want to draw FG attention to your country? Are you involved in scenery developments and want your work to be prominently visible? This is your chance to get involved!

Now that the 'Rio' release is out, we're looking for a good location for the next FG release.

Note: For any future releases where nobody volunteers to organize a poll the next default airports will be chosen based on the order in this poll.

What's needed now?

If you have a good idea for a default airport, please post a short description along with two screenshots (airport terminal buildings and airport seen embedded into the surrounding scenery) below. Once we have a few options (in a week or so), we'll have a poll and pick the most popular result.

Desired features are:

* well developed terminal buildings (on par with KSFO or LEBL)
* suitable for airliner operations
* nice scenery for VFR flights in the vicinity, possibly also smaller airports, ideally developed
* usability (should not need a gaming computer to get usable framerates)
(* possibly working AI traffic)

What'll be needed later?

For the airport that gets picked as the next default, we'd like to see a Wiki page describing the airport and popular VFR activities in the surroundings. Feel free to also share other aviation fun facts of the country with FG enthusiasts.

A general effort by scenery developers to populate the surroundings even more is also not the worst of ideas

Will the development team create better terrain for location XXX if it gets picked?

Usually the holdup for more detailed scenery is not bad intention but just publicly available data - the scenery is usually as good as the data we have permits. So the answer in general is no - we can't do that easily.

However, we have the ability of ship a custom tile with a stable version (and have had more detailed KSFO scenery than on terrasync in the past), and I think if someone has manually created/improved GPL custom scenery for a proposed default airport, we can ship a tile of that around the chosen location.

So - let's all help to make FG more international by migrating around the world - show us what's to see in your region, or whatever you found elsewhere in the world!
Thorsten

Re: Please help to find the next default airport

Postby D-ECHO » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:30 pm

Oh, a new default airport :D
Will be interesting what's next...
Bergen is a beautiful airport
-I've once created a terminal building at this airport https://scenery.flightgear.org/app.php? ... id=3417226 and there are some more objects
-beautiful hilly to mountaneous norwegian landscape near
-some interesting airports with great approaches (Bomoen, Sogndal) https://skyvector.com/?ll=60.5106222008 ... 0undefined
-yes, nice scenery for VFR flights
-suitable for airliners with runway length of 2 990 meters or 9 810 feet
-many oil rigs in the vincinity (might be interesting) http://x-plane.cleverest.eu/#ENBR
-seaplane operations possible (sea very close to the airport).
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Postby tonghuix » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:31 pm

I suggest Hong Kong (VHHH), and a well known but closed airport VHXX (Kat Tak) nearby.

However, it may need more development for ground and VHXX needs a “chekerboard hill”.

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Project_Hong_Kong
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Kai_Tak_Airport
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Landmark_Wish_List
FG Manual Chinese Translation https://github.com/tonghuix/getstart-zh
tonghuix

Callsign: CPA112
IRC name: tonghuix

Postby D-ECHO » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:38 pm

There is already a HongKong custom scenery which includes osm2city HongKong buildings and the checkerboard hill :D
D-ECHO

Postby chris_blues » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:55 pm

D-ECHO wrote in Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:38 pm:There is already a HongKong custom scenery which includes osm2city HongKong buildings and the checkerboard hill :D

Really??? Where can I get it? Maybe this might be integrated into terrasync?
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Postby D-ECHO » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:57 pm

D-ECHO

Postby chris_blues » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:31 pm

Got it! Thanks!
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby bugman » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:45 pm

Remember - without the essential screenshots, any suggestions probably won't count ;)

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby D-ECHO » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:55 pm

I'm sorry @bugman but I can't take a screenshot this week because of a poor computer not capable of running fg.
D-ECHO

Postby chris_blues » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:10 pm

I will try the VHXX Kai Tak scenery tonight. I'll take some screenies. Still, I wonder, why this isn't in terrasync?
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby D-ECHO » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:12 pm

I dont know... :D maybe the terrain is also re-generated and there would be tiling issues or so?
And @chris could you also take some ts pictures of Bergen :D ?
D-ECHO

Postby Thorsten » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:15 pm

Still, I wonder, why this isn't in terrasync?

Because FG doesn't suck content in just because it exists, if something is to go to TS or FGAddon, someone has to ask for it, someone needs to review it, and then it may happen.

To my knowledge nobody ever asked for any Hong-Kong related scenery to be added to TS (i.e. I can't recall anything related on the mailing list).
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:11 pm

there hasn't been anything that i recall in the last year and a half that i've been on the dev list... i do remember the discussions in the forum as hong kong was being worked on and some screen shots were posted but outside of that, it was apparently just thrown out there for others to get if they wanted it... no clue or memory of any thought or actions to get it placed into TS...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Catalanoic » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:18 pm

I think all people here are suggesting OSM buildings (as a pressing methode), maybe not possible to ship globally in near term but for just a tile as a airport base package we can do it.
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby radi » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:45 pm

Indeed I never asked for VHXX to be included in terrasync. Yes, I had re-generated the terrain. Permission-wise we should be safe, I have obtained written permission from the original authors of the models I have used. So if someone wants to put forward VHXX as the next default airport, I'd support that :), in the hope we attract talented 3D modellers which improve the terminal buildings.

(sent while waiting for a connecting flight at VHHH)
OSM buildings for LOWI, EDDC
Custom scenery for VHXX YMML
Edit .stg via the FG Object Placement Tool
radi

Next

Return to The FlightGear project