Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Please help to find the next default airport

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Re: Please help to find the next default airport

Postby chris_blues » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:22 am

@NL-Ray:
Sorry, i can't see your images. Google asks me to log in, but I won't....
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Postby Parnikkapore » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:58 am

And...make sure your image has "Link Sharing" on?
(It appears as a stop sign here. Think about uploading your image to imgur or the FlightGear wiki)
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby NL-Ray » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:13 pm

I've uploaded them to imgur
NL-Ray

Callsign: NL-Ray
Version: 2018.1.1

Postby daveculp » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:33 pm

Anywhere but Nellis AFB.
daveculp

Callsign: DCulp
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby PINTO » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:44 pm

Nellis AFB!

...just kidding
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby chris_blues » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:23 am

NL-Ray: Great, working now! Thanks!
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby D-ECHO » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:59 pm

Why not Nellis? ;)
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)

Postby daveculp » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:11 pm

I just don't want to have to buy a new computer to visit any of my favorite airports :)
daveculp

Callsign: DCulp
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby D-ECHO » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:32 pm

Finally, here are some screenshots of Bergen Airport, Norway (ENBR)
Regards
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)

Postby J Maverick 16 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:53 pm

+1 on Zurich!
Regards, Maverick
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, A330, C-32J, MH-60)
Flying with Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar
Aviation media on IG at: @j_maverick16.aviation
J Maverick 16

Callsign: J-Mav16
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby chris_blues » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:34 am

We got the following airports so far:

• VHXX Kai Tak
  • VHHH Hong Kong
  • ENBR Bergen
  • VTSP Phuket
  • LSZH Zürich
  • PANC Anchorage
And from the old polls, the remaining candidates:

• LKPR Prague
  • LOWI Innsbruck-Kranebitten
  • EDDI Berlin Tempelhof
  • LFGP Paris Charles de Gaulle
  • OMDB Dubai
  • LXGB Gibraltar
  • LIMW Aosta

If no new proposals come in, I think we can start the poll. Though I'm not quite sure, if the old candidates should be included...

Cheers
chris

Edit: Thanks D-ECHO! I totally forgot about Bergen screenshots...
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby blcjr » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:51 pm

I'd vote for PANC, if it would mean some more work put into it. As it stands now, the FG version completely obliterates Lake Hood, the busiest seaplane base in the world. Anchorage should be a draw for some challenging real world simulation as it has so many airports in close proximity, and very precise rules for approaching them. It is more than just a waypoint for airliners. Besides Lake Hood, which sits right next to PANC, there is Merrill Field nearby, and then Elmendorf, not to mention half a dozen or so smaller airports all in the vicinity of Anchorage.

What would be great about Anchorage, if done right, is that it would that it would provide great simming opportunities for all types of aircraft, not just the airliners. Floatplanes taking off from Lake Hood? Check. General aviation aircraft landing and taking off from Merrill Field? Check. Jet fighers and C130's taking off from Elmendorf? Check.

As it currently exists, PANC is a good start. But as a "bush" pilot and GA aircraft aficionado, I'm really bummed out to not have Lake Hood available for float plane takeoffs and landings.

I don't know who did the current PANC, but it would be great to see more work done in the nearby areas. Some attention has already been paid to Palmer Muni (PAAQ) as it has some decent town textures. But no buildings on the airport grounds. I'd like to see town textures for nearby Wasilla, also. But the biggest improvement anyone could make would be to bring back Lake Hood.
blcjr

Postby chris_blues » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:08 pm

That's one of the goals - to bring nice places to the attention of our scenery developers. And of course, you're more than welcome to contribute and improve on what we already have! :)
Maybe tomorrow or so I'll create the poll. After that we'll see, how the crowd votes. And by experience, the scenery devs will come forward and spread ideas about the scenery involved. You only need to hook in, to get going on your favourite scenery. FG people are usually very helpful if it comes to volunteers and contributors. So I encourage you to join in on the improvements to come. If you don't do it, who will?
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby blcjr » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:17 pm

Point well made. But as a new FG user -- just five weeks old -- the scenery generation process looks daunting. That would not necessarily be a stopping point if there was good documentation on the process. But that doesn't seem to be the case. For example, I've read the Terragear wiki, which looks pretty straightforward until one gets to the "mapserver" instructions, since the mapserver is no more. But no one has updated the Terragear wiki to tell a potential new scenery developer what to do about it. First time FG wannabe scenery developers really do need rather explicit directions to follow, given the complex nature of the process. It seems that the people who know how to do it don't have the time to write tutorials or documentation that would lead new developers through the process. I'd be more than happy to spend the time (I'm retired, and have the time) learning how to do it, and using what I learned to improve the scenery in Alaska. (I developed a major scenery addon for Alaska back in the days of MSFS 98, now almost two decades ago).

When posting a similar plaint in another thread, asking about how to do something as simple (or simple sounding) as adding town textures around an airport, someone said "well you need this, this, and this." But no detailed instructions were given on (a) where to get "this, this, and this," or (b) what to do with it when obtained. I realize that others are plenty busy making nice scenery, and know from plenty of past projects of my own that writing documentation or tutorials is an often unwanted or unwelcome task. The Terragear wiki looked promising. But until it is updated, or replaced, I wouldn't know where to start.
Last edited by bugman on Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not quote the entire previous post.
blcjr

Postby chris_blues » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:41 pm

Unfortunately I can't help on this either - since I never worked on scenery. Seems you had bad luck with your question(s). I'd simply ask again. It might help to ask specific questions, so you can get specific answers. Maybe you already did that, I don't know.

Just 2 pennies...
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

PreviousNext

Return to The FlightGear project