Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

FSweekend 2016 and LAN setup?

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

FSweekend 2016 and LAN setup?

Postby mickybadia » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:40 pm

Hi,

Are there any plans to demo FlightGear at the FSweekend this year? It seems like it has its section every year... If so, has a multi-player setup ever been shown or considered? I ask the question with a remote consideration myself of publicising the ATC-pie contribution to the world of free flight sim. The problem is, I do not feel like showing up with a mere laptop on a lone provided table.

Though it is not *necessarily* to be presented as an FG project (cf. the more recent solo & tutorial connections), it mostly is one still in its birth, history... and purpose, since this type of software is only ever realistically fun when connected to a network. So if I am to attend I would be happy if I could team up with the FlightGear crew, but the invitation says there will be no internet access so a local network would be required to get the most of it.

Or would those who know the event recommend a better door to knock on, like a specific ATC section? Is there one?
mickybadia

Re: FSweekend 2016 and LAN setup?

Postby stuart » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:58 pm

Hi mickybadia,

I suggest getting in touch with Torsten Dreyer directly via email. He usually coordinates the FG presence at FSWeekend. I have attended once (2014), and it was a fun experience, both to talk to other FG community members, and also to demo FG to the Flightsim world.

I'm sure we've shown a multiplayer setup in the past, though I don't recall if we did so the year I was there. We had our own LAN including a wifi hotspot that demo'd an early version of Phi. Which was very neat to show people on their own iPhone until Durk started failing various systems on the aircraft Mathias was flying :).

Torsten has tried to bring something new and innovative to the booth each year, so perhaps the ATC-pie integration might be a good choice? Now would probably be a good time to chat to him, as I expect he'll be making preparations if he's going.

Best regards,

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby Torsten » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:18 pm

Hi mickybadia,

we do have a local mpserver on our LAN running but we do not have internet access.
We tried to create an uplink several times but it never really worked out. There is no public WiFi, no cable access and the UMTS network breaks down once the visitors pop in.

An ATC-pie display would certainly be welcome. Durk is preparing all the paperwork, registration deadline is Sept. 15th.
Please let me know if you are planning to come to Lelystad or contact Durk directly to get your name badge.

Regards
Torsten
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline
Version: next

Postby Isaak » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:29 am

Hi Torsten,

Do you think there would be room for another enthousiast willing to join in? I have quite a big setup and I 'm willing to show the world what 's able with Flightgear so we could organise some kind of local multiplayer setup with ATC etc. I 'm just discussing the matter with my girlfriend, but would be glad if I could contribute to the project. If you think this is not the right approach, that is perfectly ok for me, but after all those years of enjoying Flightgear I would be happy to be able to spread the word :)

Regards,

Isaak
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA

Postby mickybadia » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:06 am

Hi,
Short notice but for good news it seems... So what the hell why not just do it. :-) Put me on that list and we can talk later---though soon---about what exactly ATC-pie should get ready for, e.g. sceneries and liveries to use for tower view, etc.

Besides, not sure what a group "limit" would be, but given that the crew seems OK to set up MP and that BEL ISAAC is showing experience with it, in my opinion by all means let's go together.
mickybadia

Postby Isaak » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:38 am

My girlfriend agreed for me to be a Flight-sim geek for the whole weekend. Only term I had to agree on is that I don't come home with a bigger setup than it already is. :)

I'll get in touch with Durk!
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Postby Torsten » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:02 pm

Hi mickybadia and bel isaac

please contact me via email: torsten (at) t3r (dot) de
to get you signed up. Note: registration deadline is September 15, so hurry up.
As a rough guideline: You need to prepare everything you need by yourself and bring it to the show.
There is a limited number of power outlets but it's close to our booth. Prepare your stuff that you need only one power outlet and one LAN port. There are tables and chairs.

More detailed information later by e-mail.

Torsten
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline

Postby Isaak » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:47 am

Hi Torsten, I already contacted Durk, so I'm already on the mailing list :) (actually responding at the moment!) It 's no problem to bring the required gear (and some extra) with me!
Isaak

Postby vanosten » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:31 pm

Hi

I will also make it to the FSWeekend and hope to be able to talk to some of the developers regarding osm2city evolution. I am not planning to be part of the booth/show, but feel free to contact me, if you want some specific osm2city scenery based on latest code and latest data.

Rick
Maintaining osm2city. Contributing with ground attack stuff to the OPRF FlightGear military-simulation community.
vanosten

Pronouns: he/his
Callsign: HB-VANO
Version: latest

Postby stuart » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:41 pm

Great to hear you'll all be able to make it. I look forward to meeting you all IRL. If you are around on Saturday evening as well, we normally go to a restaurant at the airport, eat enormous burgers and drink too much beer.

Rick - it looks like we may got for LSZH rather than Rio for the demos as we've got better AI traffic and OSM data. I'm currently generating buildings to use partly for my own education. I'll give you a shout if I need a "professional" to do it :).

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:19 am

Will be nice to go there someday -- can we bring our own hardware? For instance -- if you have a 'fancy PC' can you give demonstration flights?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby stuart » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:49 pm

legoboyvdlp - Absolutely! That's largely the point of the event. Basically various sim organizations (VAs, sim groups, companies selling hardware) set up booths to demo their stuff. In our case we have a couple of people bring big multi-monitor setups to show off.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:40 am

Lovely. I'll be there in 2022 :)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Return to The FlightGear project