Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

A call for FlightGear wiki logos for the 3rd party hangars.

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Re: A call for FlightGear wiki logos for the 3rd party hanga

Postby curt » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:36 pm

I'm only posting this because of an earlier question/mention in this thread; I hope to start a new thread on this in a few days after some more testing. I have been working on updating James's scripts for creating aircraft hangars. The longer term goals include (1) improving the process for aircraft authors' work to be included in the default distribution, and b) make it easier for groups like FGUK to integrate their own hangars into the Qt launcher aircraft management tools. For developers who wish to opt-in, being part of the default distribution would offer far wider exposure of your work. From an end user perspective, this will provide an easy/integrated point and click way to install (and update) the aircraft they are interested in. An aircraft author (or 3rd party hangar maintainer) can publish an 'addon' url that is copy/pasted into the add on page of the Qt launcher and all the new aircraft show up immediately. James has done some really nice work on the Qt side to pull all this together for the end-users. This will be another step forward in the larger process we laid out a while back. Anyway, that's the teaser ... hopefully I will be able to start a new thread in a few days with many more details. Let's keep this thread on task ...
Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
University of Minnesota
curt
Administrator

Postby Octal450 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:14 am

Should I make one for my hanger?
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:44 am

If your hangar is documented on the wiki, feel invited.
Thorsten

Postby bugman » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:48 am

Yes, please do :) Your hangar is listed on the 3rd party hangar section of the FlightGear wiki page for hangars. If you would like a free webpage and file download/upload area for better promotion of your hangar, SourceForge provides both project homepages and a file upload web interface. It is pretty quick to set up, and is a nice complement to the GitHub services.

For the MD-11 wiki page, as this started as an old, abandoned FGAddon aircraft, I guess that your aim is to have it merge back at some point (otherwise there would have been a second article for the second aircraft). But you can tag that, for now, and your other aircraft wiki pages as "| hangar = it0uchpods" (or any other hangar name you come up with). Maybe adding a {{note}} that it is a development of the FGAddon version and what the future plans are would be good.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby daveculp » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:11 pm

Here's one for Dave's Hangar (http://www.daveshangar.org)

daveculp

Callsign: DCulp
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby curt » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:28 pm

Hi Dave, quick question for you (and we can chat via PM if that works better.) Did you create your catalog.xml with James' scripts, or did you build it up by hand (or use your own scripts?) I've been working on a new version of the catalog.xml generation script and was wondering if you'd be interested in beta testing it? I'm hoping to make it a bit easier for aircraft authors and hangar maintainers to generate their own catalog.xml files. I have the system working here, but it's always good to run it past more eyes on different systems to see what assumptions I've made about my own system that doesn't apply to the general use case. (And if you are happy with your current system, no worries.)

Thanks,

Curt.
Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
University of Minnesota
curt
Administrator

Postby daveculp » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:05 pm

Hi Curt,

I wrote it by hand. I can beta test the script, but not until next week. Does the script make assumptions about where the models are stored? I'm not using Git, which seems to be the standard storage system for collaborative hangars. My models are just stored in directories at the GoDaddy HTML server. I'll keep them here because I also have a web interface to the hangar.

-- Dave
daveculp

Postby bugman » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:12 pm

Cheers Dave! For uploading to the wiki, which licence should this be tagged with? Or could you upload and fill out the metadata and licence info? Also, which wiki aircraft articles are specific to your hangar, that are not in the tagged FGAddon releases? I think this is one of yours: McDonnell F-4 Phantom II. I would like to expand my testing template to improve the hangar support, before updating the current {{infobox aircraft}} template. I'm starting to wonder if a licence parameter would be a good idea (automatically added for certain hangars, but over-ridable).

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby daveculp » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:22 am

Hi Edward,

I see 3 aircraft at the wiki that are also in my hangar; the F-80C, F-4 and F-105. I'd forgotten all about those pages, and I wish I had the time to update them, but I don't.

As for the logo, the clip art supplier calls it public domain, so we can keep that license.

As for license parameter, most things in my hangar are CC licensed, but there are a couple GPL things in there, and I don't use a hangar-wide license, so a per-aircraft license would make sense for me.
daveculp

Postby bugman » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:44 am

It takes me about 2 min per aircraft page to update them to this new template, so I'll do them throughout the day. For the logo, I'll upload that soon. It will appear at the top of the infobox, and I'll make it a link to your hangar. I'll use the following for your aircraft:

Code: Select all
| hangar = dave

Cheers,
Edward
bugman

Postby bugman » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:29 am

Dave, the first of your aircraft has been updated to the new template. I've also created an automatically added category for your aircraft:

The development and download icons are currently links to your hangar, if these parameters are not supplied.

Regards,
Edward

Edit: Oh, for the logo uploaded to the wiki, do you have the name of the clip art provider? I have added your name as the author releasing this as public domain, but it would probably be better to have the original author listed in the notice.
bugman

Postby ausdkunst » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:54 am

Don't really have a page just yet but my hangar is on the wiki. Think you can help me upload the logo?

License is always GPL.
BULLDOG RS (The No.1 place for Flightgear automobile): https://bulldogrs.wordpress.com/
ausdkunst

Callsign: bulldog
Version: 2016.2.1

Postby bugman » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:20 pm

Hi ausdkunst! I can upload that one a little later. I guess your hangar is AUCAFLY. I'll add the option:

Code: Select all
| hangar = aucafly

For this template, would you have a banner version of this logo? The banner used in the aircraft infobox template prototype should be 300 px wide, but maybe with a height of ~100 px. Anyway, the height should be a lot less than the width. Please see [wiki] Category:Banners for some examples.

Cheers,
Edward
bugman

Postby ausdkunst » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:44 pm

Thanks Ed,

Hope this is fine.

Cheers,
Ross
BULLDOG RS (The No.1 place for Flightgear automobile): https://bulldogrs.wordpress.com/
ausdkunst

Callsign: bulldog
Version: 2016.2.1

Postby daveculp » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:05 pm

Hi Edward,

Here's the clip art source (or at least the point of distribution):

http://www.pdclipart.org/displayimage.php?album=73&pos=107
daveculp

PreviousNext