Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

A call for FlightGear wiki logos for the 3rd party hangars.

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

A call for FlightGear wiki logos for the 3rd party hangars.

Postby bugman » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:21 pm

Hi,

For those not following the recent changes on the FlightGear wiki, or the discussions at the village pump, you may not have seen that I have been reworking the aircraft infobox that is used in almost 500 wiki articles. I have created a test template at: {{User:Bugman/Infobox Aircraft}}. The list of changes is extensive! One of the main features is the support for categorising the aircraft by hangar. This adds a hangar specific logo or text to the very top of the infobox (between the aircraft name and first screenshot), automatically creates development repository and download links, and automatic category creation for subcategories of Category:Aircraft_by_hangar. For example the FGAddon logo is:

As an aside, another feature is better language support as can be seen on the de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter wiki article, which is being used as a test for the new template (as well as the Boeing 707-420 wiki article). While still in the testing stages, I would like to expand the support for the FlightGear community's venerable 3rd party hangars. Well, at least those that have created wiki articles for their aircraft. In the testing template, I currently have added rudimentary support for the following 3rd party hangars:

I would like to ask for help from those involved in the 3rd party hangars to expand this list (but only for those aircraft on the wiki). These currently do not use a logo, but rather the name of the hangar as a link to the hangar's website. So I would like to ask for suitable logos to replace the text (the link will remain). Ideally this would be CC BY-SA 4.0 licensed, as that is the standard for the wiki. The logo will be resized to a fixed width of 300 px, so it should look good at this small size. This excludes a lot of text, for example:

The height should also be limited so that the logo is a proper banner. The logos should be approved by the organisation and people behind the 3rd party hangar.

Cheers,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Re: A call for FlightGear wiki logos for the 3rd party hanga

Postby bugman » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:47 pm

I have split the FGMEMBERS discussions into:

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby dg-505 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:30 pm

What do you think? :wink:
A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you everywhere.

DHC-6 Twin Otter development
dg-505

Callsign: dg-505

Postby bugman » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:46 pm

We'll have to see what FGUK say ;) They tend to use screenshot rich, UK specific graphics:

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby dg-505 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:01 pm

To be honest, in my opinion these graphics are very suitable for a banner on the top of a webpage (http://www.fguk.eu), but not for a simple logo like the ones for the {{infobox aircraft}} on the wiki, where something simple is needed (because you don't have many space available for complex graphics).

So, @StuartC, , @geed, @J Maverick 16, @all other FGUK guys, what do you think? :D
A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you everywhere.

DHC-6 Twin Otter development
dg-505

Callsign: dg-505

Postby Hooray » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:06 pm

I guess it depends what the in-sim UI/representation will look like - as far as I understand, the Aircraft Center hasn't been integrated with the hangar functionality at all - so this will be a question best answered by people using the Qt5/Phi front-ends, i.e. to tell how much space there really is for hangar specific graphics
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Thorsten » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:53 pm

Well, it's a call for Wiki logos...
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:57 pm

you got a point, I was under the impression they'd be reused by the package manager UI - so disregard what I said
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby bugman » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:31 pm

Well, Hooray, you beat me to it ;) I will at some point send off an email to the mailing list asking about just that, as I'm not sure how James plans to evolve the 3rd party hangar support in the Qt launcher (the aircraft part of which I guess will become the full aircraft centre once we fully switch from PUI to Qt). But I guess a different design might be required for some of the logos, as this 300 px width but no height restriction for the wiki may not be suitable for the next generation GUI.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby J Maverick 16 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:57 pm

dg-505 wrote in Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:01 pm:To be honest, in my opinion these graphics are very suitable for a banner on the top of a webpage (http://www.fguk.eu), but not for a simple logo like the ones for the {{infobox aircraft}} on the wiki, where something simple is needed (because you don't have many space available for complex graphics).

So, @StuartC, , @geed, @J Maverick 16, @all other FGUK guys, what do you think? :D

You're right.

I personally think that again in the FGUK community pops up the proper-logo-issue we have discussed for a long time and never solved. I think now it's time to make a good one and use it ;) .
Regards, Maverick
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, A330, C-32J, MH-60)
Flying with Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar
Aviation media on IG at: @j_maverick16.aviation
J Maverick 16

Callsign: J-Mav16
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby J Maverick 16 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:59 pm

About 3rd party, this is the logo for the Operation Red Flag (OPRF) former KSUU Crew:

Regards, Maverick

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, A330, C-32J, MH-60)
J Maverick 16

Postby bugman » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:14 pm

That's a cool logo :D Have you thought of documenting OPRF on the wiki? A special dedicated page could be created for it. There are a number of events documented on the wiki, and this is like an umbrella for multiple events. And it might be nice to have for the historical records. You could then look back at it in 20 years time ;) You could use the logo directly on the OPRF wiki page.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby PINTO » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:22 pm

The OPRF group is more of a group like FGUK, and not just an event. =]

We also have a website that's documenting everything for us. But, we aren't really a hanger. We have some modified planes but no built-from-scratch ones.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby J Maverick 16 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:03 pm

PINTO wrote in Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:22 pm:We have some modified planes but no built-from-scratch ones.

Yet it is a hangar. ;) Everything which has to do with downloading planes is a sort of hangar.
Regards, Maverick

J Maverick 16

Postby bugman » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:10 pm

You don't have to build from scratch to create a 3rd party hangar. Though the best is to contribute back to the original author or hangar when possible. But if you start distributing aircraft, I suggest also listing it on the wiki.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Next

Return to The FlightGear project