Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Help us find the next default airport!

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Re: Help us find the next default airport!

Postby Catalanoic » Tue May 24, 2016 6:32 pm

So, by now 4 candidates; SBRJ (Rio), LKPR (Prague), VTSP (Phuket) and SVMI (Caracas, photo needed). I am very surprised KSFO isn't still here despite the negative comments of the previous airport talk thread. Lesson: A changing world is positive.
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby Fritz » Tue May 24, 2016 9:22 pm

Just a spontaneous idea: Yesterday I flew the Swissair DC-3 to Zürich (LSZH). The airport is not perfect (e.g. needs some more taxi lines on the apron) but it is more complete than most other (big) airports I've been to. It is an interesting airport with three different (!) runways with an unusual layout, and the impressive scenery of the Alps is nearby. And you can fly to Innsbruck (LOWI) even with a small plane - while LOWI is too small as a default airport, it is definitely worth a visit!
Fritz

Version: 2018.3.6

Postby dg-505 » Tue May 24, 2016 11:16 pm

Fritz wrote in Tue May 24, 2016 9:22 pm:Zürich (LSZH)

Well, to be honest, I would recommend against using LSZH in it's current state:

1. It has no 850 layout
2. It has no terminal buildings
3. Most of the parking positions have the same name (A111), which will place you at the same place everytime you select this parking positon (-> only little variation)

Don't get me wrong, I consider Zürich-Kloten to be a quite nice airport in general, but in my opinion at the moment it's not enough developed to become FlightGear's default airport.

Cheers
Jonathan :)
A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you everywhere.

DHC-6 Twin Otter development
dg-505

Callsign: dg-505
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Wed May 25, 2016 12:01 am

@dg-505: something is wrong with your LSZH... i do not have any custom scenery at all...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Fritz » Wed May 25, 2016 12:24 am

My LSZH is like the latter image, otherwise I wouldn't have recommended it. But not long ago, 2016-04-21 to be exact (I kept the log file), the airport was more like the fist picture, so there must have been a recent update to TerraSync.
Fritz

Postby wkitty42 » Wed May 25, 2016 12:38 am

there are very few days that go by without some sort of update to terrasync... it is easy to see them if one uses the new python script to maintain their terrasync directory... that's how i've found out about a few airports that were pretty nice but too small for the default airport ;)

how about PANC? i'm guessing it could use some work... it does appear to have some AI, also, but i don't know how well behaved they are...

"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Michat » Wed May 25, 2016 12:47 am

Catalonic said "KSFO isn't still here despite the negative comments of the previous airport talk thread. Lesson: A changing world is positive".

The negative comment was referred to the decision to change KSFO as default. With the decision taken I don't see any reason to put ksfo in the votation list, ksfo is forever.

On an exercise of coherence I'll not participate in any of this polls, I remain abstentionist as I did not voting the last pole when I could have benefit Barcelona. Decisition was taken, now you have to maintain the pole standing.

Having account the historical presence of FGBrazukas ( FG pilots from Brasil) in the MP scene, I think RIO could be a good tribute for those FGBR who have been in FG since 1.9.1. Tucaneiros, Escuadrilla da fumaça, FGBR, FlightGear Brasil, George hangar, Grupo FGBR, ESA-06 and so many hangars and blogs that Brasilian have dedicated to FG all around the noisy social network.

The rest is up to you guys, deciding what is the next default airo of FlightGear.

Don't be so passionate, there are a few more fg releases forward, as much as airos :)

Salut
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby wkitty42 » Wed May 25, 2016 12:48 am

or VHHH?

"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Lydiot » Wed May 25, 2016 1:23 am

wkitty42 wrote in Wed May 25, 2016 12:01 am:@dg-505: something is wrong with your LSZH... i do not have any custom scenery at all...

Unfortunately this will be the case for many people who have problem with TerraSync, I fear. They won't see nicely developed airports because they don't have a properly synced scenery, and didn't check any of the maps/threads on it.
Last edited by Lydiot on Wed May 25, 2016 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lydiot

Postby Fritz » Wed May 25, 2016 1:28 am

wkitty42 wrote in Wed May 25, 2016 12:38 am:... (PANC) does appear to have some AI, also, but i don't know how well behaved they are...

AI planes seem to be behaving badly everywhere, even at KSFO - I understand this is a known issue. But at LSZH there is a mismatch between the AI taxiway layout and the visible layout (as on many other airports), resulting in planes parking on or taxiing over the lawn or being stuck halfway inside buildings. I don't know how difficult this is to fix.

The question is: Must the next default airport be (almost) perfect now or will it have to be perfect when the release is published?
Fritz

Postby wkitty42 » Wed May 25, 2016 5:30 am

there's roughly 90 days between each release in the new rolling release format... if the problems can be fixed within that time period, they should be OK... in this particular case, we're looking at roughly 80 days left...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed May 25, 2016 7:43 pm

Catalanoic wrote in Tue May 24, 2016 3:58 pm:@lego: "what is the deadline for submissions?" -- > 'til before next version preparation works, a lot of time, +80 days from now.
Like LKPR, SVMI is a good choice, needs some airport development as Lego requested but is possible to do it in short term, and similar to Barcelona for VFR flights. I can help with some scenery improvement in Rio too if finally selected, of course.

Excellent. I'll do my best before submitting Maiquetia.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed May 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Catalanoic wrote in Tue May 24, 2016 6:32 pm: SVMI (Caracas, photo needed)

Standby, I did not submit SVMI yet!
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby pommesschranke » Thu May 26, 2016 1:05 am

legoboyvdlp wrote in Mon May 23, 2016 2:16 am:. An addition to the UFO to allow static / shared model editing after the models have been saved in the .stg would help an awful lot.

there's a tool called "fgopt" (object placement tool)
that offers this functionality.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10625&hilit=fgopt
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Postby pommesschranke » Thu May 26, 2016 8:56 am

Lydiot wrote in Wed May 25, 2016 1:23 am:Unfortunately this will be the case for many people who have problem with TerraSync, I fear. They won't see nicely developed airports because they don't have a properly synced scenery, and didn't check any of the maps/threads on it.

The new default airport will be included, no need for terrasync.
For all other airports:
The new terrasync using http instead of svn wil be enabled by default in the next version of FG
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

PreviousNext

Return to The FlightGear project