Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Geek:new FlightGear website prototype

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Geek:new FlightGear website prototype

Postby Parnikkapore » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:54 am

There are free alternatives to every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next [PPA]

Re: Geek:new FlightGear website prototype

Postby Parnikkapore » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:53 am

Okay,I've got a prototype of the home page,albeit incomplete,up and running.This,however,is a pretty good impression of the website's theme.
Many thanks to a lot of screenshots out there that made this possible. If you're serious about joining me,use imgur.
There are free alternatives to every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Postby elgaton » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:07 pm

Looks extremely nice! The third image is not showing for me, though.
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby D-ECHO » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:32 pm

Can't see anything :(
D-ECHO

Postby Hooray » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:51 pm

Before you spend any considerable amount of time working on a potential replacement for the layout of the main flighgear.org website, I would suggest to coordinate that with Curt.

For some background info, I suggest to search the forum for "website + cms + wordpress", and you will undoubtedly see that it took years to arrive at the current state, and we have literally seen dozens of postings from users requesting changes and making suggestions for improvements - so there's tons of inertia involved, and you should be aware of that before spending too much time coming up with alternate styles/themes, especially if you are hoping for Curt to support/appreciate and implement your suggestions: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=23002&p=208685&#p208662
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby Parnikkapore » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:05 am

Thanks for the reply ;)

In the current calendar that alternate will become a "portal site",I.E. Linking to related wiki,forum,and website pages. To reduce conflict the website is currently NOT an intended replacement of FlightGear.org.

This thread is set up so I can receive feedback from you guys FGers. I can organize another way to contact Curt if that's the case.

BTW,what is that forum thread for? Is it a failed example?
Parnikkapore

Postby Hooray » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:21 am

like I said, I suggest to search the forum for "cms + website" and/or "wordpress + website" to see for yourself how many people have suggested changes to the main website.

However, as long as your effort is unrelated to the main website, you obviously don't need any endorsement at all
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Parnikkapore » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:18 pm

I've done the search.

I took them as examples. What should I do with them?
Parnikkapore

Postby Hooray » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:32 pm

It is your call to decide how to proceed from here - if nothing else, it should help set your expectations straight when it comes to the main website and its appearance - if all you are hoping to do is provide a separate website, you are your own boss, and you can decide for yourself if you want to incorporate all that feedback or not.

However, if there is the slightest chance of you wanting to see your work show up on the main website eventually - you would want to make sure that you are creating a wordpress theme, while staying in touch with Curt about this (if you done some research, you will have seen his comments that generally encourage such attempts)
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Parnikkapore » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:05 am

I will put those two in consideration.
-I made research about WordPress sites,but found out it wasn't the style of the major pages in the picture above. (However,Editing will be much easier and accessible.)
-I will try to leave space and templates for the existing elements on the page.

Currently I have the X-plane website and the FlightP••••m website as inspiration.(Sorry,but it's a very good example of how sites can promote FlightGear)
Parnikkapore

Postby Parnikkapore » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:53 am

Hey all!
I'm pleased to offer a forum post with ALL the screenshots in the website in it!

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=28832
Parnikkapore

Postby clipper996 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:40 pm

"EXPERIENCE A TRULY VERSATILE SIMULATOR WITHOUT PAYING A SINGLE DOLLAR"
"WITH POLE-TO-POLE COVERAGE OF THE WORLD AND 200+ AIRCRAFT TO CHOOSE FROM,YOU'RE GAURANTEED TO PLAY FOR MONTHS AT A TIME."

This really gave me a chuckle because it sounds like a generic cliché TV commercial.
And which intellectual wrote this in the newsletter draft? "Despite Hooray braking the effort,Parnikkapore has started making a prototype of the new FlightGear website."
Unless i missed something, nobody's "braking" the effort, the man's just giving you an advice, you can accept it or refuse it but there's no need to act as if someone's depriving the world of your genius.

Just sayin'
clipper996

Postby Parnikkapore » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:47 pm

Okay,I over interpreted your effort :lol:

Feel free to come up with alternative sentences to use in that page,suggestions are VERY welcome because I am not necessarily an expert at this ;)

P.S. That is a commercial. That's why I recommend a look on the FlightP••••m website,since that's kinda like what I'm aiming for.
(If you hate them,take a look on [link]https://www.google.com/intl/en/drive/[/link] instead.)
Parnikkapore

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:30 pm

If you want your link to be clickable, I think you'll have to use [url] instead of [link] ;)
D-ECHO

Postby Hooray » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:50 pm

Regarding your edits of the newsletter, I didn't mean to stop your enthusiasm - I just meant to put things into perspective - like I said, you would want to get in touch with Curt about this - apart from that, there's no reason to mention my comments in the newsletter - I am definitely not trying to stop you, I have merely seen about ~20 of these threads/attempts, and so I am not overly convinced that this one will be any more fruitful - but that has nothing to do with you or your particular design.

In other words, rather than adding my comments to the newsletter, it would be better to discuss this with the people maintaining the website - or if you prefer providing an alternate website, just disregard my feedback altogether - because at that point, it does not matter anymore what is going on here (or not).

Regarding your approach of scamming off the scammers by copying their design, I applaud you for so much creativity ;-)
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Next

Return to The FlightGear project